Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/3/2016 11:29:49 PM EDT
http://www.whidbeynewstimes.com/news/374320101.html

The Army’s 51st Signal Battalion (Expeditionary) is focused on military communications but they also train to assist civilian agencies during natural disasters such as the massive earthquake expected in the Northwest’s future.

They traveled to Whidbey Island with a troposcatter communications system, which includes two large pieces of equipment that resemble Mickey Mouse ears. The system transmits and receives microwave radio signals by bouncing them off layers of the Earth’s atmosphere.
Link Posted: 4/5/2016 10:15:21 PM EDT
[#1]
They do that crap all over the state..we had to put some of their troops up in one of our armories last year.
Link Posted: 4/10/2016 12:35:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
They do that crap all over the state..we had to put some of their troops up in one of our armories last year.
View Quote

My son is now a member of the 161st A co 3/161
Link Posted: 4/12/2016 9:25:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nice, we lost a lot of good troops to fill out our Sister BN...be awhile before we are all up to full strength again...but at least that nasty Scout squadron as well as all the tankers are now gone....:)
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 10:14:16 AM EDT
[#4]
“We’re completely self-sustaining,” said Capt. Frank Guizar, company commander. “We’re able to move quickly anytime for disaster relief.”
View Quote

If there was a large earthquake and they wanted to set up on Whidbey Island, they'd have to be flown in by the Air Force or Navy.  I doubt the Deception Pass bridge would be passable.
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 9:22:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

If there was a large earthquake and they wanted to set up on Whidbey Island, they'd have to be flown in by the Air Force or Navy.  I doubt the Deception Pass bridge would be passable.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
“We’re completely self-sustaining,” said Capt. Frank Guizar, company commander. “We’re able to move quickly anytime for disaster relief.”

There is also an Army boat unit out of Tacoma

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top