Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/4/2016 8:13:18 PM EDT
business has me stuck in Mulkiteo the weekend after this one.  I am looking for some good day hikes or overnights within a couple hour drive in the area.  Preferably low/no snow stuff as I am limited to how much gear I can bring.  I have Friday/ Saturday/ Sunday off.  Help me out WA arfcommers.  (Side note, I plan on hitting some Seattle breweries Thursday afternoon, any suggestions?)
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 9:18:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Mukilteo, has Diamond Knot brewery. Try their industrial IPA, but make sure to have a couch nearby.  Mountain Loop hwy just out of Granite Falls to Heather lake trail, uphill all the way. If you are in shape its a half day to a 3/4 day round trip depending on no stops or easy does it.  You can also stay overnight.  Lime Kiln is flat and uneventful until you reach the kiln.  Still fun to do and easy to find.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 9:19:15 PM EDT
[#2]
We are pretty spoiled in the area you are looking at as pretty good routes are available close by and without the large crowds along the I90 corridor. The search function on the washington trails association website is very useful as are the trip reviews there. Gotta run right now but will list some specific trails later.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 9:37:49 PM EDT
[#3]
We are definitely spoiled here. all about 30 min drive from Everett:

Lime Kiln Trail - Good for a (muddy) trail run right now
Robe Canyon - hit hard and washed out after out recent storms, made it to the 3rd tunnel
Heather Lake - Decent hike, can stretch it to make a half day of it
Lake 22 - Same as Heather Lake
Mt Pilchuck - I don't know if the road is still open but this is a tougher hike that would take all day, awesome in good weather.

There is a good sized ranger station at Verlot that should have some maps and they should have fairly up to date conditions.

ETA: Sorry for the size of these they are panos and fucking like 10 mb each
ETA2: Mtn Loop is closed past MM22 at Deer Creek.

Heather Lake. Forgot my spikes, but it wasn't too bad.

Lake 22

I assume you'll have a rental car? Lake 22 is about 200 yd off the Mountain Loop Highway. The parking lot fills up quick on the weekends no matter the weather so hit it early (before 8-9)
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 10:01:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Be advised that many of these hikes are in prime avalanche areas.  With the weather we've been having lately it's a high level of risk.  I would check the NWAC forecast and have an understanding of what you need to be cautious about.  Easy summer hikes can be fatal in winter.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 2:55:32 AM EDT
[#5]
"A couple hours" covers an absolutely crazy amount of mountains here. Traffic can eat up a part of the day if too adventurous as well, so be aware of that.  Also, some of the more popular spots can get thier parking lots jammed up FAST.  I.E. my home trail, Wallace Falls. Great hike, relatively close, but have to get there early to get decent parking or it's going to be 1/2 a mile of hiking past cars to get to the trail head LOL.

Seattle is cool, one place that's too new to be on a lot of peoples radar is pretty close to where you'll be, http://www.mcmenamins.com/AndersonSchool in Bothell.

Link Posted: 2/5/2016 3:47:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Washington Trails Association

Using the hike finder tool, look specifically look at the Central Cascades region/Steven Pass - West subregion and the North Cascades region/Mountain Loop Highway subregion.

For low/no snow right now, I recommend Wallace Falls.

We have had significant snowfall this year. Mt Pilchuck is an awesome hike, but just looking at it covered in snow rules it out.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 6:59:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Be advised that many of these hikes are in prime avalanche areas.  With the weather we've been having lately it's a high level of risk.  I would check the NWAC forecast and have an understanding of what you need to be cautious about.  Easy summer hikes can be fatal in winter.
View Quote

Agreed.  East coast me has no understanding of such things.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 7:03:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Washington Trails Association

Using the hike finder tool, look specifically look at the Central Cascades region/Steven Pass - West subregion and the North Cascades region/Mountain Loop Highway subregion.

For low/no snow right now, I recommend Wallace Falls.

We have had significant snowfall this year. Mt Pilchuck is an awesome hike, but just looking at it covered in snow rules it out.
View Quote

Holy Jesus. So many options.  I need to get out there in the summer.  WTA site wow good
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 7:28:06 AM EDT
[#9]
random question.  Discover pass, rental car, how does it work anyone?
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 7:31:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Once you buy the pass you just write your license plate number on it.  I don't think the state cares if it's a rental or not.  

If you're only going to use it for a day or two I'd suggest picking up day passes.

Edit:  If you hit up North Cascades NP you don't need to worry about passes.  There is also the Northwest Forest Pass which is different from the Discover Pass.  I'd plan it out beforehand so you don't end up buying the wrong pass.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 10:50:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Once you buy the pass you just write your license plate number on it.  I don't think the state cares if it's a rental or not.  

If you're only going to use it for a day or two I'd suggest picking up day passes.

Edit:  If you hit up North Cascades NP you don't need to worry about passes.  There is also the Northwest Forest Pass which is different from the Discover Pass.  I'd plan it out beforehand so you don't end up buying the wrong pass.
View Quote

Its 30 for annual and 10 per day.  I will prolly just grab annual.  I expect to be out there at least once more this year

Gonna do Wallace Falls and Lime Kiln. Seem like safe choices for new to the area day hikes

Thanks for the help guys.

Link Posted: 2/5/2016 2:22:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 5:04:31 PM EDT
[#13]
If you want to play in the snow, the local Sports Authorities rent gear including snowshoes and poles for pretty cheap and they are close instead of running to REI or Feathered Friends in Seattle.

Wallace Falls and Boulder River are flat, easy trails and should be snow free, they both follow a river through the woods. On the short side with a bit of climb that will get you to very pretty lakes are Heather Lake and Lake 22, they will both some snow but the trail was very packed down and easy with just waterproof shoes/boots last time I was out there. For a bit longer of a hike that really starts to climb and will be in deep snow, Mt. Pilchuck and Lake Serene are beautiful.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 5:18:34 PM EDT
[#14]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

nice
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 3:58:36 PM EDT
[#15]
If you do the lime kiln you'll be driving right by my place. I'll buy ya a beer at the spar tree in granite falls if you give me a heads up
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 4:04:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
If you do the lime kiln you'll be driving right by my place. I'll buy ya a beer at the spar tree in granite falls if you give me a heads up
View Quote

I'll drink a beer with any man who has KFP in his avatar
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 7:06:45 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

Park a quarter mile from the trail head and you don't need a pass. Never had a pass, never had a problem.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 5:40:48 PM EDT
[#18]
If you swing by any Ranger Station you can get passes for free with mil ID.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 4:56:59 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

The spar tree has surprisingly good food as well.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 3:09:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Turns out my dad's college buddy lives in west bothell so I am gonna crash at his place and he has passes and shit.  winner winner.

I am gonna do lime kiln tomorrow anyone wanting to meet for a beer on me is welcome spar tree looks cool.  PM for my #
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 3:16:56 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Turns out my dad's college buddy lives in west bothell so I am gonna crash at his place and he has passes and shit.  winner winner.

I am gonna do lime kiln tomorrow anyone wanting to meet for a beer on me is welcome spar tree looks cool.  PM for my #
View Quote
Spar tree is pretty north for me, but I'm like 10 miles from bothell if you get around to hitting McMinimins.

Also, not going to be as nice as it was Tuesday, but wallace falls was completely clear (and a chinook blew through making it 65 degrees!)
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 3:22:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I haven't been there in forever, like back when it seemed like the main event was bunch of rowdy loggers and bikers fighting with each other. Sounds like the place has really been turned around in the last 10 years or so. Maybe I'll give it a try the next time I am in GF.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 3:59:03 PM EDT
[#23]
Be mindful of parking at some of those trailheads.  Don't leave valuables in your car.  Especially off of the Mountain Loop Highway....tweakers galore.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 4:14:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Be mindful of parking at some of those trailheads.  Don't leave valuables in your car.  Especially off of the Mountain Loop Highway....tweakers galore.
View Quote

Good advice. I pretty much emptied out my car when I hiked up to Monte Cristo last year.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 4:31:50 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

What I do in the fall during salmon season on the rivers is open everything up, center console, glovebox (pull the bulb out), lower the visors. Hopefully it lets them know there's nothing of any value to break a window for.

I've seen fishing reports of up on the Skykomish of people that left their doors unlocked to save a window, tweakers didn't find anything so they took a shit on their seat. Some real low lifes out there.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 8:27:14 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

It was good to meet you man.  Spar tree was legit.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 11:57:25 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 2/15/2016 9:26:38 PM EDT
[#28]
Did Lime Kiln and Wallace Falls.  Dad's buddy took me up to Leveanworth through the passes.  It was socked in on Sunday though.  Had a good Knockwurst and beer so all good.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top