Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/20/2016 9:52:27 PM EDT

Yeah, that's how this story's gonna go.

There isn't a TL;DR.
It is what it is.

Fuck, really?

I decide to use the 20-dollar bill I got as a gift from my elderly Mom's boyfriend.  I assisted him with some information on getting a .22LR Ruger, and he kindly gave me 20 bucks.  
He's 86 and a retired cop.
I decide to get some .22LR at Wadds er, uh, WADE'S.

Probably 6 people in the retail section, including the 3 employees.
I look through the ammo section directly, make a decision, and approach the sales register.
One guy in front of me, refused the bag, stating it's 'a waste'...how 'green' of him!  My opinion.
As I wait a few seconds for his transaction to conclude, i let my eyes wander left to the blade selection, maybe 20 seconds.
Next thing after this guy walks off, I look up, step forward, and...nobody is there at the register.  Guy's gone.  Ghost.  WTF?

He comes back from where ALL those other people are waiting...all 3 of them, 1 an employee...and inquires as to what else I may want.
I reply "that's all, and by the way, that's the last box of that product and the two remaining of the other are broken open but complete."
"Oh.", is the response.

Got my receipt and product, no offer for a bag ( I must've looked green in my ARFCOM SWEATSHIRT ) and out the door I went.
I'm sarcastically thinking, 'well, wasn't THAT a pleasant experience?!'  

I mentioned to the guy it seemed a bit quiet.
He said 'most people must be at the SHOT SHOW'.

I mentioned to the guy I hadn't been in for about a year.
He said...nothing.  

Fuck, really?!

Did I mention, as I walked in, the only active employee was heavily engaged in a diatribe to the customer about 'shotguns, home defense, and which shotshell to use'...?
Hmmmm?
Well, it seems that #4 shot is the preferred choice of professionals because:
1.  00 Buck will penetrate walls into your family members because each and every 'ball' is the equivalent of a .33 bullet, like a 9mm, and there are 9 of those balls.
2.  with #4 shot, you'll be able to keep all of those little balls in a tight circle and they won't keep going through walls.
3.  I QUIT LISTENING.

Yes, it was a fun visit!  

I escaped with 1 box of CCI .22LR 36-gr. Copper Plated HP for $19.99 + tax.

I want to believe.  
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 10:26:47 PM EDT
[#1]
TL DR
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 12:33:35 AM EDT
[#2]
I did read it.
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 12:41:44 AM EDT
[#3]
I had a guy over on Monday to pick up his transfer, and we got to talking about next acquisitions.  I mention that I'd really like to get a PKM.  Full auto would be awesome, but I've got about zero connections for a demo letter.  So a semi-auto would be fine......

Guy texts me a picture later that day........... of a semi-auto PKM.............. for sale.............. locally.................  D'OH!!!!!  

I ask, although I can guess, "Where at, and how much?"  He says "Wade's, $15,000".  

He was there to get an A2 buffer tube, which they had in stock (WCA didn't).  And Wade's has a PKM in stock too.  Say what you want about the people and prices, but you have to give the guy credit for his inventory.....

The M249S is sounding more appealing at half that price point though, but the left hand eject on the PKM sounds appealing to this lefty rifle shooter.....
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 12:46:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I had a guy over on Monday to pick up his transfer, and we got to talking about next acquisitions.  I mention that I'd really like to get a PKM.  Full auto would be awesome, but I've got about zero connections for a demo letter.  So a semi-auto would be fine......

Guy texts me a picture later that day........... of a semi-auto PKM.............. for sale.............. locally.................  D'OH!!!!!  

I ask, although I can guess, "Where at, and how much?"  He says "Wade's, $15,000".  

He was there to get an A2 buffer tube, which they had in stock (WCA didn't).  And Wade's has a PKM in stock too.  Say what you want about the people and prices, but you have to give the guy credit for his inventory.....

The M249S is sounding more appealing at half that price point though, but the left hand eject on the PKM sounds appealing to this lefty rifle shooter.....
View Quote

Was that the 'don't feed the beltfed' display?
I wasn't paying much attention...
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 1:24:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 4:42:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
<a href="http://s1092.photobucket.com/user/scollins1868/media/04B6F23B-E414-441F-BA92-592598A2C4EB_zps3yo1cw92.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/i420/scollins1868/04B6F23B-E414-441F-BA92-592598A2C4EB_zps3yo1cw92.jpg</a>
View Quote

Yeah, that one.

Link Posted: 1/21/2016 12:35:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

Last time I was in East County Guns in Elma, last Friday, I could have sworn Andy had a PKM.  (EDIT)  I just checked, he actually has two.
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 1:51:19 PM EDT
[#8]
If I was single I would have enough cash on hand to buy that PKM. Dreams...
Link Posted: 1/22/2016 1:48:27 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Last time I was in East County Guns in Elma, last Friday, I could have sworn Andy had a PKM.  (EDIT)  I just checked, he actually has two.
View Quote

Dare I ask how much?

it doesn't seem to be an item that my suppliers carry, I wonder where they got them......
Link Posted: 1/22/2016 3:37:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Dare I ask how much?

it doesn't seem to be an item that my suppliers carry, I wonder where they got them......
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dare I ask how much?

Didn't ask. He said one is a "Marcola with full kit...".

360-482-6770. Tell him Andy the banker sent you.
Link Posted: 1/22/2016 1:23:05 PM EDT
[#11]
low-information / bad-advice at gun shops isn't really new. I pretty much treat the place like a walmart. I go in, get my goodies, and go. If the guy behind the counter says something dumb, it's just par for the course and easily ignored.
Link Posted: 1/22/2016 3:04:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I did read it.
View Quote

Me too, $19.99 for .22
Link Posted: 1/22/2016 5:37:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Meh, I know the reputation, and I understand why folks would want to avoid Wades. . . you won't get any arguments here but here's my experience.

I started shooting there about 6 months ago. It's the closest range being about 10 minutes away. Prior to that I hadn't been there for a couple years due to all the bad press.

After going about 3 times a month for the past 6 months I've found the employees in the range to be very friendly and the employees in the shop to be fairly knowledgeable (especially about suppressors). I've bought some small things there but honestly with the internet there's no point in buying ammo or guns as brick and mortar places just can't compete.

Although their prices aren't anything to brag about I think it's a solid shop which has made tangible efforts to try and get their reputation back.

I enjoy shooting there, and some of their RO's are really nice guys.

Just my .02
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 11:20:03 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Meh, I know the reputation, and I understand why folks would want to avoid Wades. . . you won't get any arguments here but here's my experience.

I started shooting there about 6 months ago. It's the closest range being about 10 minutes away. Prior to that I hadn't been there for a couple years due to all the bad press.

After going about 3 times a month for the past 6 months I've found the employees in the range to be very friendly and the employees in the shop to be fairly knowledgeable (especially about suppressors). I've bought some small things there but honestly with the internet there's no point in buying ammo or guns as brick and mortar places just can't compete.

Although their prices aren't anything to brag about I think it's a solid shop which has made tangible efforts to try and get their reputation back.

Just my .02
View Quote
Why not go 5-7 minutes farther and go to West Coast Armory?

Link Posted: 1/25/2016 9:01:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just my .02

I've been there a couple times (usually when a buddy outright refuses to shoot at Wades) and I really like West Coast as well, however at this point I'm digging Wades.

It's cheap to shoot there, I've never had to wait, and I really like their staff.

A couple months ago I had the one experience in which I knew I'd be sticking around. I walked in and there was a group of maybe 6 Chinese folks taking turns shooting a rented pistol. The RO immediately recognized me and proceeded to put the gold chain up and lets me and my buddy have the entire left side of the pistol range knowing he wouldn't have to watch us as carefully.

Later that session he came over and B/S'ed with us a bit about the group and proceeded to shoot my Sub 2000. Twenty minutes later he came back with a box of .45 ammo he happened to "find laying around" and offered it to my buddy for free.

If it made economic sense I'd of bought a membership right then and there, but since I only shoot 2 - 3 times a month (and it's always with my own pistols/ammo/targets/etc) I couldn't justify it. I haven't seen that RO since I've been back, but there are some other guys who are pretty solid as well.

Again, I know their past but at this point I think they have good people and a quality facility.

YMMV
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 7:04:29 PM EDT
[#16]
They get the upstairs range open?
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 1:30:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes but only on weekends or every other Thursday for their pistol league. 50 dollars an hour for two people up stairs or 25 for two if you're a member.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 8:36:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Last time I went in there they had a brick of Gemtech .22 for $98 bucks.  Ouch.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 11:09:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Wades is definitely a place for the urbanites to go and feel comfy.   If you are not up on the counter acting like you want to buy a gun, listening to the sales person spew the line " you've got a good eye thats my favorite too", or  "i'm so glad you bought that cause now i dont have to and risk getting a divorce" BS

WOW!  

Its been 15+ years since I have been in there, the circus has only grown bigger
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 11:22:44 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Yes but only on weekends or every other Thursday for their pistol league. 50 dollars an hour for two people up stairs or 25 for two if you're a member.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Members have to pay now?

Link Posted: 2/13/2016 9:20:15 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Members have to pay now?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Members have to pay now?

Members pay to use the up stairs and only for the up stairs. Members bay is still free.

Also, the up stairs is 25 for however long you want now, no longer per hour.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 1:47:40 PM EDT
[#22]
I wrote off Wades when one of their counter commandos bitched out a brand new shooter who was with me, all for having a Sig lock up on an empty case - he was spooked that there might be a live round in the gun, but apparently was only scared at that prospect because it didn't occur to him to clear the thing ON THE RANGE POINTED AT THE BERM, instead of trying to clear it while STANDING AT THE SALES COUNTER.  

Oh, and his co-worker tried to convince me that .50AE Desert Eagles were standard issue for Israeli tanker captains.  All in one afternoon.

It was like a derpfest ARFcom thread come to life.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top