Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/15/2016 1:40:03 AM EDT
http://www.king5.com/story/news/local/seattle/2016/01/14/inslee-suspends-bertha-tunneling-after-sinkhole/78799756/

Old thread: https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_8_15/569493__ARCHIVED_THREAD____Seattle_Tunnel_Partners__Work_Plan_for_Repairing_Bertha_TBM.html&page=4

What a massive waste of money. I still don't think they'll finish it. I'll die if they sink/deem unsafe the existing viaduct trying to drill under it.
Link Posted: 1/15/2016 2:36:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Glad to see our state is business as usual. Fucking clown shoes. Can't wait to see what Inslee 2.0 will bring us with his next term as Governor.
Link Posted: 1/15/2016 9:42:47 AM EDT
[#2]
When I left the county it was just getting fired up.

When I got to lax yesterday and read this I was a little surprised.

Cannot wait to get back to work next and see guys who know the rest of the story.
I am surprised anybody checked off on filling the hole with concrete.
Link Posted: 1/15/2016 11:35:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Let's see, they're drilling below the water table in old fill dirt and they are surprised they have issues?
Link Posted: 1/15/2016 2:36:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Let's see, they're drilling below the water table in old fill dirt and they are surprised they have issues?
View Quote

Any Seattle historian could tell them the whole area is fill from the Denny regrade.  I wonder how many times this will happen.  
Link Posted: 1/15/2016 7:01:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Im not a native, but I thought all the Denny regrade material went Belltown & north. I didnt think it came to Pioneer Square area.
AFAIK, Pioneer Square is "natural" grade.
Link Posted: 1/15/2016 7:29:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Im not a native, but I thought all the Denny regrade material went Belltown & north. I didnt think it came to Pioneer Square area.

View Quote

I could be wrong.  My recollection from all of the MOHAI visits and underground Seattle tours is pretty close to the WIki depiction below.  My understanding was the Hill was in the area you described, but it was used to fill south west of the original location, all the way to the water.  Everything that is pioneer square and waterfront area was much lower before the regrade.  I laugh to think of whether or not a project could even happen like this today.  Listen to this one.Using water pumped out of lake union (flooding) to take the top of the mountain off and letting the water run downhill to Elliot Bay.  Environmentalist's heads would explode like the opening scene to the movie Scanners.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denny_Regrade,_Seattle

The Denny Regrade project was the removal of Denny Hill, one of the proverbial seven hills of Seattle. It ran east from First Avenue between Pike Street and Denny Way. Hill and street were named after the Denny family, who were among the city's earliest white inhabitants. The First Avenue regrade was started in 1897 and completed on January 6, 1899. From 1902 to 1911, the hill was sluiced into Elliott Bay by pumping water from Lake Union using hydraulic mining techniques, in a series of regrades along Pike and Pine Streets, Second Avenue, and the massive Denny Regrade No. 1 which regraded everything remaining between Fifth Avenue and the waterfront. In 1929–30, Denny Regrade No. 2 removed the final pieces of the hill east of Fifth Avenue using steam shovels.

From the Pioneer Square Wiki
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pioneer_Square,_Seattle

Early history

The settlement's importance was guaranteed in 1852, when Henry Yesler chose the site for his lumber mill, which was located on Elliott Bay at the foot of what is now Yesler Way, right on the border between the land claimed (and soon thereafter platted) by David Swinson "Doc" Maynard (to the south) and that platted by Arthur Denny and Carson Boren.

Much of the neighborhood is on landfill: in pioneer times, the area roughly between First and Second Avenue, bounded on the south by Jackson Street, and extending north almost to Yesler Way (about two-and-a-half city blocks) was a low-lying offshore island. The mainland shore roughly followed what is now Yesler Way to about Fourth Avenue, then ran southeast, at an angle of about 45 degrees to the current shoreline. Slightly inland were steep bluffs, which were largely smoothed away by regrading in the late 19th and early 20th century
Link Posted: 1/15/2016 8:10:39 PM EDT
[#7]
From your wiki

The Seattle City Clerk's Neighborhood Map Atlas (which is published by
the city but does not have official status as defining neighborhoods)
defines the Denny regrade as bounded on the north by Denny Way, on the
southwest by Third Avenue, on the southeast by Olive Way, with a small
eastern border on Interstate 5.[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denny_Regrade,_Seattle#cite_note-2][2][/url] A 2009 map from northwestplaces.com treats the term as synonymous with Belltown
and shows both names as referring to a triangle bounded on the north by
Denny Way, on the southwest by Western Avenue (two blocks inland of the
Central Waterfront), and on the southeast by Stewart Street; the southern tip of this triangle falls in the northern part of Pike Place Market.
I agree Pioneer is fill, just not from Denny.
Link Posted: 1/15/2016 8:20:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Why don't they just freeze the ground before tunneling, this is what they have done in other similar situations.
Link Posted: 1/15/2016 10:54:29 PM EDT
[#9]
It is such a colossal waste of money it has become an embarrassment to the city.
Link Posted: 1/16/2016 11:26:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Cannot wait to get back to work next and see guys who know the rest of the story.
View Quote

Please update us with any "insider info" you find.
Link Posted: 1/16/2016 1:36:44 PM EDT
[#11]
I have a mole hill in my back yard in Renton, I'm pretty sure that because of Bertha. Where do I send the bill to fix it?
Link Posted: 1/16/2016 1:37:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
It is such a colossal waste of money it has become an embarrassment to the city.
View Quote

riiiiiight
Link Posted: 1/16/2016 4:31:49 PM EDT
[#13]
They should have leveled "Seattle" flat and started fresh.
It's not too late...
Link Posted: 1/16/2016 9:47:00 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

They should have leveled "Seattle" flat and started fresh.

It's not too late...
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/17/2016 6:49:11 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

View Quote
A bunch of the regrade work was literally hosing dirt down into the waterfront. There was plenty of dirt to go around.

Link Posted: 1/17/2016 1:37:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

riiiiiight
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

riiiiiight

He's not wrong.
Link Posted: 1/17/2016 2:36:41 PM EDT
[#17]
He is wrong.
You can't embarrass Sodom and Gomorrah.

Link Posted: 1/17/2016 5:12:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
He is wrong.

View Quote

+1
The moonbats will say it was Gaia rejecting the tunnel and the use of automobiles. The Bertha cave will become a symbol of Gaia battling against our abuse of the planet.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 9:28:56 AM EDT
[#19]
Any updates?
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 12:28:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

+1
The moonbats will say it was Gaia rejecting the tunnel and the use of automobiles. The Bertha cave will become a symbol of Gaia battling against our abuse of the planet.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
He is wrong.

+1

I am feeling triggered
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 12:30:41 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

+1

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

He is wrong.

+1

Should feed the tunnel homeless to appease the earth goddess.

Link Posted: 2/6/2016 2:49:17 AM EDT
[#22]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top