Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/21/2015 4:23:02 PM EDT
Any rockhounds in the WA HTF?
Never been into it but it does look interesting and a good excuse to get and do some exploring.
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 1:47:02 AM EDT
[#1]
I have gotten into it in the past few years, and been into gold panning for quite a while.

The wife and I head up to red top mtn. east of the mountains, found a few nice pieces of agate and chalcedony, and supposedly there are grapefruit size geodes on the tree'd side of the hill. Last year I found a nice hunk of Ellensburg blue with geode crystals. My favorite piece. There is a place called the rockin' tomahawk ranch out there where many people search, and many find squat.

Lately I've been heading up to greenwater though, and finding black and red agates in the old highway 70 landslide area. (then I go shooting!) Got a few fist sized pieces, and even a piece of botryoidal chalcedony. It's a bubbly textured piece. It's an easy 1 mile walk up there, but my last two trips, a buddy helped me haul out two 70 pound agate boulders! I sweat my ass off getting those back!

And now that the rain has come, I wait until spring to rockhound. I like it, but not freezing my butt off for it.

I did hear there is a spot on the carbon river that has petrified wood too, I'll have to ask my buddy where.
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 3:30:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Sounds cool! Thanks for the info! I'd love to get some Ellensburg Blue's. Love the color of them.

As far as the petrified trees on the Carbon, it's very likely. Mt Rainier has filled that entire valley in and eroded it countless times.

I read one time that the coal mine outside Chehalis was a good place to go looking but it's all locked up now and hard to get access.
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 10:56:08 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a claim up in the Cascades.  Quartz crystals.  There are some decent spots out there, but like fishing, most are kept secret.
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 1:13:17 AM EDT
[#4]
You can drive along Chuckanut Drive and if you know where to look you can find all sorts of fossils.

There's a Rockhound Pit up at Walker Valley.
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 1:23:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You can drive along Chuckanut Drive and if you know where to look you can find all sorts of fossils.

There's a Rockhound Pit up at Walker Valley.
View Quote

Speaking of fossils, I used to go to the Duwamish hill in Tukwila, before it was a park. It's right past the Seattle Police range. I would find mollusks and shark teeth.

Now that it is a "Preserve" I'm not sure if you can collect anything though.
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 9:31:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Where in Washington are you central to?
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 8:46:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Where in Washington are you central to?
View Quote

Central Pierce County but know the Greenwater area really well and am planning on getting a Hancock pass to the White River Tree Farm (stomping ground of my youth LOL)
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 10:41:02 AM EDT
[#8]
I dont do much rock hounding but I do spend a lot of time on the rivers and creeks with my sluice and dredge.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 10:42:38 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I have a claim up in the Cascades.  Quartz crystals.  There are some decent spots out there, but like fishing, most are kept secret.
View Quote

Your avatar.....I like it.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 4:13:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's hard not to be a fan of MFP.  
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 4:25:34 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 11/26/2015 10:58:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I dont do much rock hounding but I do spend a lot of time on the rivers and creeks with my sluice and dredge.
View Quote

Gah I need to break out my pan and sluice!!
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 10:16:18 AM EDT
[#13]
Right now there isnt much to get at with the water levels the way they are.  Not to mention the temps outside make for frozen ground and thats no fun to dig.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 12:21:18 AM EDT
[#14]
We used to find geodes outside of Wenatchee back in the 70's. Can't remember if that was in the national forest or just along the river. Now that the wife just had her second and hopefully last back surgery, we are looking at getting back into rock hounding.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 7:53:14 PM EDT
[#15]

If you're looking for obsidian, the drive to Glass Butte in central Oregon is well worth it.

You'll want a 4x4 to get there, the road up the butte is pretty rough in places. I generally make an overnight trip of it.

It's possible to find goodies like this there...note, not mine, I wish it was.

Link Posted: 11/29/2015 1:26:25 AM EDT
[#16]
it might be cold as hell but I think the water may be down far enough to be safe on a couple rivers, might have to go take a gander and see what got flushed down
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 12:30:29 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I read one time that the coal mine outside Chehalis was a good place to go looking but it's all locked up now and hard to get access.
View Quote
That whole area is to the south of me.  Lots of petrified wood in places, agates, etc.  Found what I'm pretty sure is a petrified clam.  Another interesting find was 2"x1.5"ish piece of green rock with light and darker stripes.  Had a couple people at a local rock show tell me what the name is, but I forget.  Jasper and various interesting pieces of quartz.  Another neat one was a piece that had broken, exposing the inside that was half layers of petrified sediment from water leaking in over the years, and half crystalized quartz I guess.

I found a small stream that ends in a waterfall into a sinkhole going into one of the old tunnels.  The water flow above it has scoured the bed down to sandstone, exposing lots of petrified wood, agates, etc, and the sinkhole is the collection point for all the gravel and such.  Fun place to look for stuff.

Link Posted: 12/2/2015 3:35:06 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
That whole area is to the south of me.  Lots of petrified wood in places, agates, etc.  Found what I'm pretty sure is a petrified clam.  Another interesting find was 2"x1.5"ish piece of green rock with light and darker stripes.  Had a couple people at a local rock show tell me what the name is, but I forget.  Jasper and various interesting pieces of quartz.  Another neat one was a piece that had broken, exposing the inside that was half layers of petrified sediment from water leaking in over the years, and half crystalized quartz I guess.

I found a small stream that ends in a waterfall into a sinkhole going into one of the old tunnels.  The water flow above it has scoured the bed down to sandstone, exposing lots of petrified wood, agates, etc, and the sinkhole is the collection point for all the gravel and such.  Fun place to look for stuff.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

that sounds like an awesome little place to go visit
Link Posted: 12/12/2015 4:26:56 AM EDT
[#19]
It will be interesting to see what kind and quantity of new rocks will get flushed downriver with all these floods..
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top