Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/16/2015 4:53:45 PM EDT
does anyone know approx what it costs to have a surveyor? I have about 1/4 acre and want just one side. (streets and a RR track are on the other sides)(i know they still have to do all)
Hourly rates?
set fees?

Thanks in advance

Doug
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 4:34:31 PM EDT
[#1]
I looked in to getting my property surveyed so I could build a fence on the line.  I emailed two companies with my address and they replied with a quote - they both said based on where the nearest landmark was (down the street across a busy intersection) it would be $2-3k!  One of them was kind enough to point out that based on the year when the property was subdivided, there should be rebar rods in the ground at the corners and I could look for them myself.  I spent $60 on a metal detector and found them in an hour.  My property is a rectangle so finding two corners was enough to plot the whole thing.   Still haven't built a fence though, ha.
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 6:50:22 PM EDT
[#2]
The cost really depends on the legal description of the parcel and what survey work has been done in the past near your parcel.  Railroad Rights-of-Way will need established as well as the Right of way for the street.  

Estimates are based upon what is mentioned above and what you are ultimately looking for (boundary corners found or monumented, boundary lines marked, etc.

Be careful if you chose to come off existing boundary corners (if they exist) of an adjacent parcel.  Even if your parcel is rectangular, the lines are seldom perpendicular and missing boundary corners may or may not be re-established at the distance your deed calls for due to boundary law issues.  There are a lot of variables (existing monuments being in their original position - you won't believe how many boundary corners get moved by adjacent land owners over time,  proportioning and junior/senior rights) when determining the boundary of a parcel, it is not as simple as finding 2 existing boundary monuments and running a string or tape to lay out 2 other boundary corners.

Most surveyor's will provide a free estimate, call a couple and get multiple estimates to compare cost and services.

Link Posted: 11/17/2015 9:28:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks, I will try looking for rebar. if not call. thanks
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 11:02:05 PM EDT
[#4]
I got a "not to exceed" contract for $2,000 for the boundary of a 1.5 acre parcel with hilly, heavily timbered terrain.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top