Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/19/2015 1:18:49 PM EDT
Over the years, I have attended this event regardless of the price gougers but I have noticed a very stead decline.
I am all about finding an item from a vendor at a fair price and supporting local dealers but this is turning into a ghost town.
For an Oct. show, I see less than half the regulars and I think I see the writing on the wall.
I have been a WAC member for years but this may be changing at this rate.
Anyone else notice this?
Link Posted: 10/19/2015 3:02:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/19/2015 4:12:47 PM EDT
[#2]
I love going to gunshows and always have looked forward to going, usually just to look and see whats new or available.
I can get good ideas and check out the products and even ask questions about a particular item.
There are vendors that I even chat with regularly and they are good supporters of the WAC also.
I just think the people running these shows might need to change the business model as its obvious that vendors are not showing up for some reason.
I have been a WAC member for many years and still like to support the local community and the firearms industry as well as local vendors.
I want to attend gunshows and want to see even more gunshows but something isn't right and its been in the last year or so.
Whatever it is, its a slump and sure makes this once popular show a bit boring to say the least.
If there is great stuff at good prices I'll spend some money there, simple as that.
Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/19/2015 5:40:52 PM EDT
[#3]
I think it's 594, new rules at WAC and just greed that has the gun shows going under.
Link Posted: 10/19/2015 6:00:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Gun shows started sucking when the internet became the place to find deals.
Link Posted: 10/19/2015 8:06:27 PM EDT
[#5]
It didn't help that modern rifle deer season opened last weekend.
Link Posted: 10/19/2015 11:19:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It didn't help that modern rifle deer season opened last weekend.
View Quote

Stop making logical conclusions...this is ARF-COM!!!

Link Posted: 10/20/2015 12:41:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Just wait for the election panic to kick in high gear and the WAC shows will be shoulder to shoulder once again...
Link Posted: 10/21/2015 1:19:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Ventured out there last sunday before the hawks game, it was really slow. Prices are all higher than online, but SAA did have some pmags for a good price $9 for FDE AND OD m2 30's, so I grabbed some of those. Like mentioned above I am sure the place will be packed again as election time draws nearer next year, especially depending on which way it looks like the tide is going...
Link Posted: 10/21/2015 3:45:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Last weekend's show was very quiet, but the previous Monroe show was surprisingly busy. I suspect the hunting season opening was the big influence.
Link Posted: 10/30/2015 7:35:23 PM EDT
[#10]
This last Monroe show I got to fondle an MPX and Scorpion EVO, and was a bit surprised that his prices for them was fair.

I hope it doesn't die, I do like to spend some time at any show I can get to.
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 1:04:33 PM EDT
[#11]
I also think 594 is a big factor. The WAC charging $10 for a transfer is BS.

The WAC needs to update the rules too, no real reason to require people to be members to purchase guns anymore, since you gotta pay and do the background check anyway.
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 1:37:17 AM EDT
[#12]
Gun shows died when the 'net became the place to get parts-kits & similar...

Link Posted: 11/5/2015 5:54:49 AM EDT
[#13]
According to the powers that be I go to gun shows for the loop holes  .
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 3:42:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

The WAC needs to update the rules too, no real reason to require people to be members to purchase guns anymore, since you gotta pay and do the background check anyway.
View Quote

The WAC as an organization doesn't do the transfers, it's individual dealers that volunteer to do them and they are the ones getting the $10.  If you think $10 is an unfair amount, try doing all the work involved, which isn't just a phone call and having the buyer fill out a 4473.  I've worked selling guns in the past and doing transfers takes a lot more time than you think, so in the big scheme of things $10 is more than fair.  The problem lies in the 594 law, not the WAC.
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 5:32:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

This is a very valid point.
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 5:36:29 PM EDT
[#16]
The diversity was killed when they started pressuring people towards having FFL's, and limiting how often non-ffl holders got free tables. The ratio of FFL holders to private sales has basically inverted completely from when I started going as a kid with my pops in the late 80's/ early 90's. (Fortunately we bought something every time we went for a long time, because the deals are not there anymore)
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 3:36:40 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Indeed. Not that a WAC membership has ever been outrageous but I let it lapse after the WAC decided to make an example out of a long time dealer. I might be inclined to start going to the shows again without needing a membership to buy firearms.

Make an early entry time for members to keep them happy.
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 8:29:27 PM EDT
[#18]
I havent been to a show or renewed since......
Marty & Clint.

Link Posted: 11/6/2015 10:50:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agree.  To survive, they're going to have to change their rules with 594 being the law.
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 11:41:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Agree.  To survive, they're going to have to change their rules with 594 being the law.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They're a club...  that happens to promote gunshows...   that's going to be an interesting conversation...
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 4:50:19 PM EDT
[#21]
I stopped going when I realized it was the same overpriced junk month after month after month. I'm sure there is a deal or two occasionally but I'm not willing to wade through all the shit to find it.
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 7:40:38 PM EDT
[#22]
I went today.  Best deal of the show I saw was $750 Colt 6920's new in the box.  That's the cheapest I've ever seen them.
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 7:46:32 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

I went today.  Best deal of the show I saw was $750 Colt 6920's new in the box.  That's the cheapest I've ever seen them.
View Quote
Not bad. Especially since the 6920 OEM versions are just slightly cheaper. You could buy one, strip all the furniture off and possibly come out ahead.

Link Posted: 11/8/2015 3:02:53 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I havent been to a show or renewed since......

Marty & Clint.

View Quote

Marty Hayes & Clint Smith? I must have missed that.

I let my WAC membership lapse about ten years ago and haven't paid much attention since.
Link Posted: 11/8/2015 11:59:43 PM EDT
[#25]
More 594 than anything.

The only people who do shows anymore are dealers or the regular non dealers you see at every show who don't give a $hit about 594. 594 has scared off the avg collector/gun owner getting a table to clear out the closet or raising some quick cash,  these are the types who always have the good deals.....

The Nov Spokane show is usually a big show regardless of hunting season and it was dead this weekend compared to previous yrs.
Less guns, people, tables but twice the tables of non gun junk.

Link Posted: 11/9/2015 11:25:04 PM EDT
[#26]
It's been dwindling... since like 1992.

Must have gotten worse. Haven't been back since '95
Link Posted: 11/10/2015 11:09:27 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 11/10/2015 12:40:54 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Weren't they backed into a corner by the department of revenue on that?

I'm recalling something about an ongoing table renter is in business, must have a business license, and WAC has to turn over records if they continue.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The diversity was killed when they started pressuring people towards having FFL's, and limiting how often non-ffl holders got free tables. The ratio of FFL holders to private sales has basically inverted completely from when I started going as a kid with my pops in the late 80's/ early 90's. (Fortunately we bought something every time we went for a long time, because the deals are not there anymore)

I'm recalling something about an ongoing table renter is in business, must have a business license, and WAC has to turn over records if they continue.

That wouldn't surprise me. When I was doing storage unit auctions back in 2004 the swap meet started requiring people to fill out tax forms on what they'd sold that day and turn it in with whatever sales tax you'd collected.

Odd that I never really sold very much after that. Sure gave a lot away though
Link Posted: 11/10/2015 10:10:47 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's exactly what happened as far as I've been told.
Link Posted: 11/10/2015 10:16:17 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Probably something like that, I just recall the rapid reversal.

I used to be a pretty big WAC white knight.  Now... I'm fine just paying entry when I need to load up on .38 super for the year and calling it good.
Link Posted: 11/11/2015 7:22:51 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There had been an agreement in place with DOR with a threshold on the dollar amount for table rental for vendors to be considered amateurs (for lack of a better term). WAC deemed it necessary to raise table rental rates to increase revenue. The increase broke the threshold maximum and WAC had to change the rules for amateur status. The change must have had the opposite to the desired effect because the number of tables at the shows, particularly Monroe, decreased significantly. One has to wonder what the effect has been on revenue.
Link Posted: 11/16/2015 1:58:14 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

The WAC as an organization doesn't do the transfers, it's individual dealers that volunteer to do them and they are the ones getting the $10.  If you think $10 is an unfair amount, try doing all the work involved, which isn't just a phone call and having the buyer fill out a 4473.  I've worked selling guns in the past and doing transfers takes a lot more time than you think, so in the big scheme of things $10 is more than fair.  The problem lies in the 594 law, not the WAC.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not saying it's easy to do all the BS paperwork for a transfer, and I'm well aware the WAC isn't to blame for the law. But the reality is 594 killed some of the incentives of having a WAC membership.

My point is the WAC should consider spending resources so they can offer free transfers to members. Something to give membership a perk. The organization could benefit from being able to say they are the only place in the state offering free transfers, instead of charging $10 for something we used to be able to do for free and without paperwork.

Link Posted: 11/16/2015 6:06:30 PM EDT
[#33]
Just a passing thought, while 594 sucks, I don't think free transfers is THAT valuable of thing, as whoever does the transfers on top of putting in their own time and effort, is also taking the burden of responsibility for the transfer.
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 3:43:38 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Just a passing thought, while 594 sucks, I don't think free transfers is THAT valuable of thing, as whoever does the transfers on top of putting in their own time and effort, is also taking the burden of responsibility for the transfer.
View Quote

Excellent point.

I think there's a show this weekend in Puyallup.  Will be interesting to see how many vendors show up compared with the October show.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top