Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/29/2015 11:42:20 AM EDT
We're getting some beautiful Washington weather!
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 1:15:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 2:32:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Knew it was going to rain.....Tuesday.
Paid for the campsite a month ago.  It poured piss out of a boot a little after we went to bed, but we were cozy, warm and dry. Everything is in the garage spread out drying out.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 2:34:50 PM EDT
[#3]
I seem to have a knack for missing the "best" weather at home.

It has been a terrible 80-90 degrees down here at Moab. Just awful.

Link Posted: 8/29/2015 3:44:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Powers out in N. Seattle. Knew that was coming.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 7:08:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Looks like nearly all of snohomish county is out of power. Phone's at 10%, it's about to get rough.  
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 7:44:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Power's been out for a couple hours in my corner of Maple Valley.
Around here if you stare at a power pole too long the power goes out.
We'll be the last to get power restored too.
Glad I'm moving.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 9:32:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Was Ubering today ( will do anything for money) traffic was moving pretty good, not to many people downtown or cap hill, woodinville and lake stevens had some trees and power lines down. I-5 was closed in Shoreline, but its always at a standstill their anyway and oddly enough 99 moved faster with the lights out ( fourway stops) everything else was the same, slow moving asians who do not give a fuck about holding anyone up,  posh power women texting and turning, JROC type fuck wads thumping their base and standard Western WA lethargy.

South Everett lost power for a while, North is good, I am waiting for the Orcs, honor students and uninvited non citizens to begin looting...does not look like it will happen...going for a pint maybe four...this fat kid made a few sheckles today. Its raining sideways now, still going for pints
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 9:39:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Heavy rain here on the lake, no power since 11:30am
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 11:06:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Wind was blowing like a motherfucker today on Whidbey Island.
It's just now letting up.

Didn't lose power though.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 11:23:37 PM EDT
[#10]
PSA- When we had the kid/bought the house, I knew I couldnt be without power.

Buy a generator. Two of them, one large, one small.  The only time you will get to use them is fall turnout. Thats it. We havent lost power once.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 12:15:33 AM EDT
[#11]
Power was out here (East of Mill Creek) 12-7:30.  Lots of trees down. some of them around 12-15" in diameter.

Lots of blocked roads.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 5:59:33 AM EDT
[#12]
I'm close to bickford ford and I think I only lost power for 30 mins or so at noon. One ok sized branch landed behind the house but that was it, a friend took a tree to his roof above his bedroom and hit a car too. Rough day for them.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 7:11:26 AM EDT
[#13]
Lots of wind in Mt Vernon. Power was out all around us, 1000's without power. We were lucky ours just blinked a few times. Decided to go exploring up middle fork, so much debris on hwy 9 and mosquito lake rd. The power company was working a few spots along hwy 9 before Acme. By the time we got to middle fork we started to realize we could get trapped by a falling tree. I hadn't brought my chainsaw or tools, just a machete. Few miles up middle fork a lowered civic was trapped because of a fallen alder. Me and a few others had stopped to help and I was the only one with a cutting tool. Afterwards decided to turn around and go home.

So earlier in the day my sons looking out our front window "Mom, dad!! Someone's pool is out in the street!" It was his, it'd blown out of our fenced back yard. Before I could get dressed mom ran out there to get it. I got out there just in time to help

https://youtu.be/vVrjXQCTIes
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 11:00:44 AM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm close to bickford ford and I think I only lost power for 30 mins or so at noon. One ok sized branch landed behind the house but that was it, a friend took a tree to his roof above his bedroom and hit a car too. Rough day for them.
View Quote

I don't know if it is due to the location of that big BPA substation being in Snohomish or not, but compared to many of the surrounding areas we rarely lose power and on the few occasions that we do it is restored much faster, usually measured in minutes or hours vs hours and days. We haven't heard anything from the neighbors so I assume no storm related damage of significance occurred to our home or neighborhood.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 11:05:14 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Power was out here (East of Mill Creek) 12-7:30.  Lots of trees down. some of them around 12-15" in diameter.

Lots of blocked roads.
View Quote

I'm in silver firs and didn't get power back until 9:30.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 11:07:38 AM EDT
[#16]
Our power was back on at about 10:30 pm.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 1:14:24 PM EDT
[#17]
There are dead and dying trees all over this area due to the drought this summer. It's going to be rough when the fall storms start up, as a lot of those trees are gonna take a spill into lines. I'm finally going to get a decent generator set up this fall. We were out of power for most of yesterday, off and on. Had to run our 1 1/2 year old son's white noise machine for sleepy times off of an AC inverter on a deep cycle RV battery.

Two people died yesterday due to falling trees.. 10 year old girl was hit while outside, and a man's car was hit as well. Don't have the links, wife saw the news on her phone.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 4:54:08 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

View Quote
By lake, you mean lake Stevens? I didn't get power until nearly 6am.

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 5:17:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Finally got the power back up in Granite falls this morning around 10am, and got to test out my generator hook up and transfer switch I put in a month ago.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 6:34:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Here in Walla Walla we got a bit of rain earlier today and now the air is clear. It was able to knock the smoke out of the air. I hope it helps the fire crews just east of us and the ones around Omak. Especially after the wind we had yesterday.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 6:55:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 7:08:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Power went out about 12:15pm in Mill Creek area and we got ours back about midnight last night. (Just north of 180th and Bothell Everett Hwy.)
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 12:40:29 AM EDT
[#23]
The generator kept the house stuff working.    Funny enough, the Internet FiOS was still working while AT&T's cellular went down.

Generators are like toilet paper.  When we need one they are priceless.  

Link Posted: 8/31/2015 2:49:29 AM EDT
[#24]
I need a damn generator.

what size do you guys use?
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 4:25:48 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I need a damn generator.

what size do you guys use?
View Quote

6kW continuous running, 8.5kW peak

It's enough to keep two refrigerators, microwave, entertainment center (TV, receiver, BD player, etch.), lighting, all stuff related to Internet and PCs, furnace (it's oil but a gas would do also), garage door and some other stuff.

I shut down the range and oven (both electric) and some electric baseboard heaters.

This Saturday it ran from approx.. 11am to Sunday around 4am, when power was restored.  It's portable so I just move it outside the house under the deck, connect it to the main electric panel and fire it up.

Brand is Troy Bilt and uses a Briggs&Straton four-stroke engine.  It has 110 and 220VAC outputs.

Link Posted: 8/31/2015 10:04:13 AM EDT
[#26]
Christ, it's August people....  Genny's running in August?  wtf....
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 10:50:21 AM EDT
[#27]
I use a Briggs and Stratton 5500 watt generator, it was enough to power the lights, tv's ,internet, deep freeze, and wellpump. If you get one just make sure you have a proper generator hook up.

When I bought my house the previous owner put in what they called a generator hookup, it was a standard dryer outlet, and the panel had no main breaker, so if you did hook a generator up to it there was no way to isolate it from your incoming line and would energize the overhead power lines risking hurting the linemen working on restoring power.

Since then I put in the correct generator hookup with transfer switch.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 10:50:37 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

Folks in our state needed it this weekend last after that wind storm.... We don't control nature.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 3:11:21 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I use a Briggs and Stratton 5500 watt generator, it was enough to power the lights, tv's ,internet, deep freeze, and wellpump. If you get one just make sure you have a proper generator hook up.

When I bought my house the previous owner put in what they called a generator hookup, it was a standard dryer outlet, and the panel had no main breaker, so if you did hook a generator up to it there was no way to isolate it from your incoming line and would energize the overhead power lines risking hurting the linemen working on restoring power.

Since then I put in the correct generator hookup with transfer switch.
View Quote

Wow. It's not that hard to install a genny panel. Amazing that people do that.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 6:12:13 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

Because of this...

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top