Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/21/2015 9:15:23 PM EDT
Have been looking at this to fund ammo and the next purchase, curious what it is like, I hate driving in Seattle, my blood pressure goes up when I even think about it.

Do any of you folks do this in WA?

Curious about the good and bad
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 11:37:02 PM EDT
[#1]
I've ridden with some Ubers down here in Clark Co to get to PDX airport. Reasonable fare compared to taxis. Every driver I've had has been very polite and says he/she enjoys the work.
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 2:27:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Never been the driver but have used the service quite a few times in the Bay Area.  I love it and the drivers always seem very nice and to enjoy what they are doing.
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 2:29:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Rode in one last night.

Usually our go to when we need a DD.
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 8:06:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Food for thought from a former cabbie...

Close your eyes and picture a taxi. What color is it? Yellow. You know the company, you know they have money, you know them. I will tell you Seattle requires extensive background check, fingerprints, pictures in the cab and on file, a week training, a test and a physical every two years- with ongoing vehicle inspections, driver inspections and records, and a system to deal with shit drivers.

Uber is a fucking cellphone app. ANYbody can download an app. If you happen to need to sue them, they will claim the driver is a licensee of their app. And you know nothing more about the driver. No background check, no physical, nada.
I personally dont like getting into ANY vehicle with a stranger driving. If I do I like moving the odds in my favor. I abhor cabs, but sometimes you just have to. No way I would ever uber. NFW.
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 1:16:59 PM EDT
[#5]
My roommate is an Uber driver on his days off at work. If you give me some specific questions I'll ask him.
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 1:19:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Close your eyes and picture a taxi. What color is it? Yellow. You know the company, you know they have money, you know them. I will tell you Seattle requires extensive background check, fingerprints, pictures in the cab and on file, a week training, a test and a physical every two years- with ongoing vehicle inspections, driver inspections and records, and a system to deal with shit drivers.

Uber is a fucking cellphone app. ANYbody can download an app. If you happen to need to sue them, they will claim the driver is a licensee of their app. And you know nothing more about the driver. No background check, no physical, nada.

I personally dont like getting into ANY vehicle with a stranger driving. If I do I like moving the odds in my favor. I abhor cabs, but sometimes you just have to. No way I would ever uber. NFW.
View Quote

Before you can use the driver app you have to get a background check and have your vehicle inspected. Uber knows who gets picked up by who. It's not like a random taxi you just wave down.
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 2:33:28 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Before you can use the driver app you have to get a background check and have your vehicle inspected. Uber knows who gets picked up by who. It's not like a random taxi you just wave down.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Is that take a picture of *a license and they will "background check" that?

Fingerprints?

Training?

Testing?

Physical??
And your random taxi analogy is apples and oranges big time. If you call a cab like you summon uber, and pay for it with a cc like you do uber- there is no random. But lets say you hail a cab, say at 1st and main, at 615 pm, big computer has that record too. Also all seattle taxis have cameras by law. There is no random anymore.

Link Posted: 8/23/2015 2:45:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Fingerprints?
Training?
Testing?
Physical??

And your random taxi analogy is apples and oranges big time. If you call a cab like you summon uber, and pay for it with a cc like you do uber- there is no random. But lets say you hail a cab, say at 1st and main, at 615 pm, big computer has that record too. Also all seattle taxis have cameras by law. There is no random anymore.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fingerprints?
Training?
Testing?
Physical??

There website confirms this, I have to get my vehicle checked and verify insurance....I am thinking it is a good way to make some ammo money. The down side is driving in Seattle traffic.... I may just work the periphery and see if it is worth the trouble.  Thanks for the input
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 6:44:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

Every cabby I've been in around here has been a god awful driver, like seriously feels like it's their second time behind the wheel. How do you drive for a living and not learn how to smoothly stop, turn and take off. I swear they are trying to shake the water off the car. I had one take a left out of my cul-de-sac into the oncoming traffic lane.... And do nothing tell I yelled at him. HOW DO YOU THINK THATS FINE? He drove down the wrong side of the road for half a block?!
The only town I've been in where the cabs drove like every other person who I've ridden with is in Vegas... And they speak English there too which is absurd for a cabby I know but I saw it for my self.
I'd much rather trust someone driving their own vehicle as they will actually care about it and how they drive reflects that. I whole heartedly believe in the free market, if they can't compete then they should die off.
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 9:45:46 PM EDT
[#10]
What about insurance? If I'm not mistaken private vehicle insurance rates are based on a vehicle driven only for private purposes and only for limited mileage.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 12:37:40 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Fingerprints?
Training?
Testing?
Physical??

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fingerprints?
Training?
Testing?
Physical??

Weird, I've never worried about that shit in my 25 years of riding with friends or co-workers.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 6:07:40 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Weird, I've never worried about that shit in my 25 years of riding with friends or co-workers.
View Quote

If you dont know the difference between a for hire driver and a friend or coworker.....we probably dont have much to talk about.
If you are trolling, try GD, you need practice. Lots of practice.

Link Posted: 8/26/2015 9:12:52 AM EDT
[#13]
Something to keep in mind for anyone interested.

All cab drivers are considered covered as far as a Labor and Industries claim goes (they may have to pay back fees to L&I if there was a claim and they hadn't been paying but it would be covered). Up until July of this year this extended to Uber and Lift drivers as well, however, a recent change to the law now excludes Uber and Lift drivers.

If you plan on doing this and want to be covered by L&I you will need to create a business and elect the optional owner coverage.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 10:22:30 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 6:59:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

As someone who lives in Seattle and took a taxi (now an uber) every weekend for the past 4 years I can tell you that you are 100% DEAD WRONG!

Let me tell you some of the benefits of UBER:

-you know the name of the driver, what he/she looks like, the model of the car, and his ratings (from real users) prior to him even picking you up.

-you know where he's at, how long it will take for him to get to where you're at, and a real time map showing you this journey as you wait.

-you have a fare estimate which will tell you (pretty damn close) how much it will take to get from point A to point B. This is before you even schedule a pick up.

-No tip is involved.

UBER is a fucking god send for those of us who live in the city and used to take Taxis. I have story after story of cabbies fucking me over in the past (I'd need a thread) but for now i'll tell you that UNLIKE the cabbies in Seattle Uber has a very diverse mix of white, brown, yellow, and black drivers. I've even been picked up in a Mercedes, brand new Acura TL, and a newer 4 runner.

YMMV but Taxis in Seattle were borderline criminal, and if you can't see the very obvious technological benefits of riding in an UBER then it's clear you've never had the opportunity.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 10:23:13 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

As someone who lives in Seattle and took a taxi (now an uber) every weekend for the past 4 years I can tell you that you are 100% DEAD WRONG!
View Quote

Seattle doesnt require extensive background check for taxis?
No fingerprints? No training? No test? No physical every two years? No ongoing vehicle inspections? No driver
inspections and records?
Are you telling me if you (or your survivors) sue them Uber wont claim the driver is a licensee of
their app?  The driver had a background
check? The driver had a physical?
You may not like my opinion, you maylove Uber, but Im FAR from 100% DEAD WRONG!!!!!!

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 11:08:03 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:53:20 PM EDT
[#18]
wow sounds like someone is a taxi driver here.... and taxi drivers have to go through training? my god I bet its on the level of navy seal training or something really in depth wash out rate of 90 percent right? quit nerd raging and carry on
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 2:30:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 2:51:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Seattle doesnt require extensive background check for taxis? No fingerprints? No training? No test? No physical every two years? No ongoing vehicle inspections? No driver inspections and records?

Are you telling me if you (or your survivors) sue them Uber wont claim the driver is a licensee of their app?  The driver had a background check? The driver had a physical?

You may not like my opinion, you maylove Uber, but Im FAR from 100% DEAD WRONG!!!!!!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Seattle doesnt require extensive background check for taxis? No fingerprints? No training? No test? No physical every two years? No ongoing vehicle inspections? No driver inspections and records?

Are you telling me if you (or your survivors) sue them Uber wont claim the driver is a licensee of their app?  The driver had a background check? The driver had a physical?

read the rest of my post and see how a taxi can even remotely come close.

UBER is so far superior there's really no argument to make

YMMV, I apologize for the hyperbole and being overly dramatic

Swear I don't work for Uber, but I do love their service.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 3:34:29 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 4:08:53 PM EDT
[#22]
My UBER driver this weekend from PAX was a Ukranian man who came here via asylum from the war.

Was really interesting talking to him, said he owned a health food store in Ukraine before shit kicked off.

One of the funniest lines he said was, "I come over to the US, and my children are the ONLY white children in their school. . . . Still, this is paradise to them compared to Ukraine!!"
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 11:58:17 PM EDT
[#23]
I've been thinking about this since the first post, actually before that.  More like since I found out what uber and lyft were doing.

It's a scam plain and simply.  I don't care how great it is, how many connections you guys have made on it, or even how much you've earned.  It's a scam.

It's an end run around the laws and rules that govern taxis.

As much as I like to stick it to the man I feel for the actual taxi drivers that are getting hosed.

I'm looking at this from a similar perspective.  I'm a carpenter/contractor.  I have an LLC, a business license, a TIN, insurance(on my business, work vehicle, shop, and boom truck), a bond, contractors registration, a DOT number, and numerous certifications.

All that crap costs money. I get pissed when I see the guys at home depot hanging out looking for cash jobs.

Uber and Lyft are the equivalent to that.  Doesn't matter if it's and app, it's the same thing.

If you don't like that, change the system, don't scam it.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 12:46:58 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I've been thinking about this since the first post, actually before that.  More like since I found out what uber and lyft were doing.

It's a scam plain and simply.  I don't care how great it is, how many connections you guys have made on it, or even how much you've earned.  It's a scam.

As much as I like to stick it to the man I feel for the actual taxi drivers that are getting hosed.

I'm looking at this from a similar perspective.  I'm a carpenter/contractor.  I have an LLC, a business license, a TIN, insurance(on my business, work vehicle, shop, and boom truck), a bond, contractors registration, a DOT number, and numerous certifications.

All that crap costs money. I get pissed when I see the guys at home depot hanging out looking for cash jobs.

Uber and Lyft are the equivalent to that.  Doesn't matter if it's and app, it's the same thing.

View Quote

You are correct.

But, most people won't care. They can save $5 on a ride
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 1:48:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 1:50:25 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 3:13:54 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 6:27:45 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 11:31:24 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

View Quote

Exactly.

This is no different than the moonbats who refuse to vaccinate their kids, then demand to send them to school with my kids....while carrying diseases that should be wiped out.

Thumbing your nose at an established system, with safety and other checks built in- may feel good to some. By all means knock yourself out.

But when the driver involved in an accident "reinvents" themself somewhere else, when you have no Yellow Cab Company to sue, good luck.

Link Posted: 9/3/2015 11:39:24 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

A cabbie doesn't have to operate at all. They can work for whoever they like.

Free to quit, and go to an employer that isn't oppressive.

If every cab driver quit and went to work for Uber, what would a cab company do? Change or go out of business.

This is how a free market works. Nobody is FORCED to use a product they don't like.

Free exchange between willing participants.

If I want to give you $10 for a ride home, and we both are happy about what we are getting, why have the government kick us down and tell us we can't do that?

That is for Statists.
View Quote

I gave up my hack license in 2005. It was a hoot while I did it. Single, carefree ad armed to the teeth with a Police Interceptor Crown Vic. It was awesome.

I wouldnt put that liability on me/my family. Yellow Cab carried the mail for all incidents, no matter how big or small. I wouldnt buy a car, pay for expenses only to make what google says they make. I made more than that in somebody elses car 10+ years ago.

It is a free market, I like that. There are also laws. Columbia City had a movie theatre shutdown because it didnt meet code. Government creates a lot of code I dont agree with, there is a lot of government, too much.

Taxi laws developed through the years from shit happening. I still think a lot of it is good. If I have to put my family in a cab, I know the guy has been checked, trained, and is well covered.

Millions.

Uber? Not so much. You knock yourself out. I hope you never have a serious collision in one of their cars. If that happens, trust me you will wish you were in a yellow cab.

Link Posted: 9/4/2015 11:40:52 AM EDT
[#31]
If I were a cab driver I'd be more pissed at the government for letting uber operate at all.

Part of the expectation when you jump through all the hoops is that everyone else will too, so there's a level playing field.

All those hoops are also a barrier to entry.  That moves away from a completely free market but it prevents people from swarming the supply side of the equation, driving down cost to the point that they leave and costs go back up.

The hoops provide some stability to the market.

None of this really matters though, it will all be moot in the near future.

The call to unionize by the uber drivers will drive up prices, more regulation will come in because bad things will happen and out comes  the 'We have to do something" crowd,  The cab companies will get their act together and create a better app (if they're smart).

Pretty soon there won't be a lot of difference between uber and a real cab company.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 11:59:20 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 1:44:58 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 3:41:28 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

and the .gov who isn't able to steal as much cheese from uber as they do from the cab companies they license.

Look at the auction prices for NY taxi medallions.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
The only unhappy people are the people looking at them through their parted living room curtains like the old lady across the street saying "They CANT DO THAT!! Someone has to put a stop to THAT!!"

and the .gov who isn't able to steal as much cheese from uber as they do from the cab companies they license.

Yea this thread is just a bunch of old folks complaining.

For those of us who have to use Taxis you have no idea how much better Uber is.

I get all of the following AND it's cheaper!?!

-you know the name of the driver, what he/she looks like, the model of the car, and his ratings (from real users) prior to him even picking you up.

-you know where he's at, how long it will take for him to get to where you're at, and a real time map showing you this journey as you wait.

-you have a fare estimate which will tell you (pretty damn close) how much it will take to get from point A to point B. This is before you even schedule a pick up.

-No tip is involved.

How is this a problem? I had no idea that half of ARF HTF members are taxi drivers

Last night I took an uber from downtown and the uber driver missed the exit on 99. He immediately looked at me, apologized, and ended my trip fare then and there.

When we made it back to my car I gave him a 10 spot to show him my appreciation and to thank him for being a stand up guy. . . . . that sort of thing would NEVER happen in a taxi.

Anyone who is sitting here criticizing uber should give it a go. You'll be impressed with the cleanliness of the car, the professionalism of the drivers, all the added tech advantages outlined above, and the price.

/end rant
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 9:36:09 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
The only unhappy people are the people looking at them through their parted living room curtains like the old lady across the street saying "They CANT DO THAT!! Someone has to put a stop to THAT!!"

That, and the ignorant drivers that get a 1099 at the end of the year and then realize that they owe a third of what they made to the fed, as well as a penalty for not making estimated tax payments (ok, I'm assuming the second part).

We aren't a bunch of luddites that are against new ways of doing things.

It's just a farce that uber comes in and supplants a highly regulated industry and the people in support of it are like "Meh, it's cheaper and better" which I read as "I'm gettin' mine so screw everyone else"
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 9:38:37 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

That, and the ignorant drivers that get a 1099 at the end of the year and then realize that they owe a third of what they made to the fed, as well as a penalty for not making estimated tax payments (ok, I'm assuming the second part).

It's just a farce that uber comes in and supplants a highly regulated industry and the people in support of it are like "Meh, it's cheaper and better" which I read as "I'm gettin' mine so screw everyone else"
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Read my post above yours.

There are tangible benefits you get from uber which make uber much much more convenient.

-No tip is involved.

(two that I missed earlier)

-Linked directly to your credit card (no cash involved)

-Knows exactly where you at just by hitting a button. No need to provide an address (especially handy when drinking)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top