Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/30/2015 4:32:35 AM EDT
I know that this was probably addressed earlier since there is a current problem with the ATF approving Form 1s for residents of Washington State.   With that said, it now appears, in the short term, that the only way to legally obtain a SBR is to outsource the work to a legal business, with the proper license(s) from the ATF to convert a Class I firearm into a Class III/SBR...  I've read in the previous postings that Rainier Arms can do the conversion work, but to my understanding, they cannot do the conversion work for "civilians" in the State...  I know that they can do the work, but I figure that the ATF will not approve a Form 4 submitted by them since its an in-State transfer.

Until the Form 1 issue is corrected, would it be legal for a Washington State resident to travel to Oregon to pick up AND bring back the SBR into Washington State after all the approved SBR paperwork is completed? ...Also, any issues of traveling to this business with the firearms and parts for the conversion?

I'm less than a week away from moving back home and once I submit my Trust application.  Upon its approval, I would like to SBR my Uzi Carbine, POF-5 pistol, CZ-Scorpion/Evo1 pistol, Colt 9mm AR and a Colt M4 carbines.   I was thinking of SBRing my HK-94 carbine, but decided not to molest it, but that might change down the road.   Once I get the above five firearms converted into SBRs, I hoping to have my Sterling MK-6 carbine converted into a more "correct looking" MK-5 carbine.

Thanks for looking!!

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 8:30:24 AM EDT
[#1]
TROS has an SBR service for PS90...one of the options is to transfer to a Form 4.  Maybe he can also extend the same service to other platforms:  http://www.trosusa.com/PS90/ps90sbr.htm
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 10:31:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I know that this was probably addressed earlier since there is a current problem with the ATF approving Form 1s for residents of Washington State.   With that said, it now appears, in the short term, that the only way to legally obtain a SBR is to outsource the work to a legal business, with the proper license(s) from the ATF to convert a Title I firearm into a Title 2/SBR...  I've read in the previous postings that Rainier Arms can do the conversion work, but to my understanding, they cannot do the conversion work for "civilians" in the State...  I know that they can do the work, but I figure that the ATF will not approve a Form 4 submitted by them since its an in-State transfer.

Until the Form 1 issue is corrected, would it be legal for a Washington State resident to travel to Oregon to pick up AND bring back the SBR into Washington State after all the approved SBR paperwork is completed? ...Also, any issues of traveling to this business with the firearms and parts for the conversion?

I'm less than a week away from moving back home and once I submit my Trust application.  Upon its approval, I would like to SBR my Uzi Carbine, POF-5 pistol, CZ-Scorpion/Evo1 pistol, Colt 9mm AR and a Colt M4 carbines.   I was thinking of SBRing my HK-94 carbine, but decided not to molest it, but that might change down the road.   Once I get the above five firearms converted into SBRs, I hoping to have my Sterling MK-6 carbine converted into a more "correct looking" MK-5 carbine.

Thanks for looking!!

View Quote

Also convert the 94, send it to someone that can remark it. It shouldnt hurt the value and you'll enjoy it more and could suppress it too. I've seen some good markings from IGF.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 11:15:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 11:21:33 AM EDT
[#4]
You could also buy an in stock form 4 from a dealer in Washington.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 11:22:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Won't this require a two Form 4s?  One to transfer the weapon from the Oregon to the Washington FFL and one to transfer to you?

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_50/358707_How_do_I_sell_an_NFA_item_from_my_trust_.html
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 11:28:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Form 3 between dealers and Form 4 to you.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 12:23:10 AM EDT
[#7]
The Oregon dealer would have to form 2 it, then transfer it on a form 3 to a dealer in WA, then you would pick it up on a form 4.

I've been saying this for the past month
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 3:17:48 AM EDT
[#8]
RA is doing F2/F4 for everyone right now. I just submitted one. Will keep everyone in the loop on its progress. Although RA hasn't received back an approved F4 post May 27 with this system, they have received back many prior though. Also, I just received back a F4 SBR submitted May28. That is 2 months folks. So I am calling weekly to see when they get back one post May 27 with this system. I think we are GTG.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 10:06:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
TROS has an SBR service for PS90...one of the options is to transfer to a Form 4.  Maybe he can also extend the same service to other platforms:  http://www.trosusa.com/PS90/ps90sbr.htm
View Quote

I emailed TROS a few weeks ago, and they said "maybe", but to ping them again in mid-August because they are so busy right now.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 11:48:00 PM EDT
[#10]
I am using a guy named RJ from coastal-arms.com. he is doing f2 sbr conversions for my mp5 pistol and 522 rifle (sent him the units). then f3 to Lynnwood guns and f4 to me. the mp5 he is sbr by putting the stock on. the 522 he cutting and chamfering the barrel and putting on the thread adapter.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 12:28:58 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

RA is doing F2/F4 for everyone right now. I just submitted one. Will keep everyone in the loop on its progress. Although RA hasn't received back an approved F4 post May 27 with this system, they have received back many prior though. Also, I just received back a F4 SBR submitted May28. That is 2 months folks. So I am calling weekly to see when they get back one post May 27 with this system. I think we are GTG.
View Quote
Hmmm.....

Good to know. I've been hankering for a DD MK18 or something similar. Saving my pennies now that I have to look at factory SBR's. 2 months for a F4 is not good but great.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 6:49:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Hmmm.....   Good to know. I've been hankering for a DD MK18 or something similar. Saving my pennies now that I have to look at factory SBR's. 2 months for a F4 is not good but great.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hmmm.....   Good to know. I've been hankering for a DD MK18 or something similar. Saving my pennies now that I have to look at factory SBR's. 2 months for a F4 is not good but great.

Two months is extremely fast. Back in the day F4 took 9-12 months on average. Sure, I'd like it instantly but I'll take two months over 9-12.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 9:37:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The Oregon dealer would have to form 2 it, then transfer it on a form 3 to a dealer in WA, then you would pick it up on a form 4.

View Quote

Excuse my ignorance, is this a three tax stamp deal? $200 + $200 or?  I am sure there are extra dealer fees for the service but as far as BATFE fees it sound like multi stamp?
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 10:13:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Excuse my ignorance, is this a three tax stamp deal? $200 + $200 or?  I am sure there are extra dealer fees for the service but as far as BATFE fees it sound like multi stamp?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Would be whatever the dealer in Oregon charges you plus a single $200 tax stamp. Everything is tax exempt up until you file the form 4
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 1:04:32 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Would be whatever the dealer in Oregon charges you plus a single $200 tax stamp. Everything is tax exempt up until you file the form 4
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Unless you work a deal with a WA SOT, it is likely going to look like this:
OR SOT:  $125-$150 to F2 your SBR and F3 it to your WA SOT
WA SOT: $75-$100 to transfer the SBR to you on a Form 4
NFA: $200 tax
Grand total with NFA Tax:  $400 to $450 instead of $200 for the Form 1 tax.  Yeah, probably looking at least double the cost of being able to Form 1 it yourself.  

Fuckin' blows......
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 10:21:38 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Grand total with NFA Tax:  $400 to $450 instead of $200 for the Form 1 tax.  Yeah, probably looking at least double the cost of being able to Form 1 it yourself.  

Fuckin' blows......
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fuckin' blows......

Coastal-arms is charging $50 for the f2/f3 plus whatever shipping is to the ffl for tge f4 process. The company is not charging to assemble.
So make sure you include shipping charges in your estimation but seem to be the least expensive.  Oh and don't forget the engraving cost. But the benefit is no trust on the receiver.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 2:44:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Coastal-arms is charging $50 for the f2/f3 plus whatever shipping is to the ffl for tge f4 process. The company is not charging to assemble.
So make sure you include shipping charges in your estimation but seem to be the least expensive.  Oh and don't forget the engraving cost. But the benefit is no trust on the receiver.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fuckin' blows......

I'm not sure what the difference is between engraving a trust name v. a SOT biz name on the receiver, but I can vouch for RJ (Coastal Arms owner).  I spoke with him on the phone & he comes across as very legit, & genuinely wants to provide a useful service.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 3:00:16 PM EDT
[#18]
For me, my trust name is long. And ca name is shorter
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 10:41:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fuckin' blows......

Good to know, just sent them an email
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 2:54:50 AM EDT
[#20]
I'm curious how this will turn out in the future.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top