Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/29/2015 11:25:41 PM EDT
http://www.kptv.com/story/29665686/deputies-arrest-man-accused-of-opening-fire-on-dirt-biker-near-washougal

The short story:

A couple of guys go riding in an area that was previously open to riding.

Jones Creek area near Washougal.

The property is a powerline easment.

The new owner has posted up "No Trespassing" signs.

Guys come riding up the road on private property and the owner shoots at them 5 times without hitting them.

Dirt bike rider had a GoPro, filmed the entire thing.

Sheriff gets involved, property owner is arrested.

Facebook page of the dirt bike rider, video included.
https://www.facebook.com/100006606976427/videos/1687111128185770/?pnref=story

Notice of arrest also on that Facebook page.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 11:27:37 PM EDT
[#1]
So on one hand the answer is easy, don't trespass.

On the other, the fuck, why is someone shooting at a group of dirt bikers that included a 7 year old kid for trespassing?

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 12:32:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Retarded.

I try really hard to know what land is open and what's posted, but the owner must've known that the land was previously open, and that sometimes people miss the signs if they're not well posted enough. We also have quite a few people in this state who put up fake trespassing signs on known public land, especially during hunting season.

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 1:02:02 AM EDT
[#3]
As a person who doesn't even put a toe in his neighbors yard, ever, I sympathize with the homeowner. Stay the hell off other people's land. I wouldn't kill over it, but I might walk/ride up on the trespasser with a loaded AK at the low ready.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 2:08:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Sounds like the "homeowner" is protecting public property, or property that was just recently public.

However it doesn't help that the rider seems to be leaving an endless string of drunk comments in the FB thread
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 6:02:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sounds like the "homeowner" is protecting public property, or property that was just recently public.

However it doesn't help that the rider seems to be leaving an endless string of drunk comments in the FB thread
View Quote

No property crime constitutes the use of deadly force. Hope the shooter gets hammered hard for it.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 9:08:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Dumb solution to a dumb problem. Out of curiosity, would it have been illegal if he was firing blanks?
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 9:27:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Dumb solution to a dumb problem. Out of curiosity, would it have been illegal if he was firing blanks?
View Quote

without googling for the answer, in my rationale- it'd still be illegal because if you're the kid on a dirt bike and a guys firing a gun at you, you don't know if they're blanks or not... Still "use of a firearm" to me. I guess the guy could have told cops "the bullets were blanks" but prove it?
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 10:14:27 PM EDT
[#8]
I don't know if the property owner gave his side of the story to the cops or simply decided to shut up, but so far the rest of us only have the one dirt bike guy's side of the story.  I would imagine that if the property owner is a gun owner who owns a lot of land, he might use some of that land as a range.  He might also get kind of pissed when someone tries to ride through his range.  What I didn't see in the video is the property owner pointing a gun or threatening to shoot anyone.  Was he just out shooting when some a***hole rode up and started being obnoxious about getting off his property?
Video like this usually lies more than it tells the truth.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 3:59:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Stupidity on both ends of the deal for sure...I can only guess the complete video that went to the sheriffs office showed more about intent considering the charge of second degree assault.

Link Posted: 7/31/2015 5:42:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Stupidity on both ends of the deal for sure...I can only guess the complete video that went to the sheriffs office showed more about intent considering the charge of second degree assault.

View Quote

My bet would be that the dirt bike rider told the Deputies that he was sure the guy was shooting directly at him, and the property owner told the Deputies to pound sand.  That leaves the Deputies with one side of the story that is partially supported by the video.  That's enough to get Probable Cause for an arrest but maybe not enough for a conviction, depending on his defense.
If the property owner admitted to shooting at them then it's probably gonna be a conviction, or a plea to something like Reckless Endangerment.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 2:22:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

No property crime constitutes the use of deadly force. Hope the shooter gets hammered hard for it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Guess you've never had 30k worth of cultivating tools stolen....repeated thefts of copper wiring on irrigation circles..
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top