Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/18/2015 9:47:33 PM EDT
Will be heading up there in September, maybe early October. Looking at possibly buying and have heard Yelm is a good place to look, any other neighborhoods to look at? Would like to stay under ~250k and within about 25 minutes of post.

Another question, I am currently stationed in California and left my AR lower at my mom's house in PA, when I have her send it out will I need to pay the sales tax when I pick it up, if is how will they assess it given that I already own the gun? Any FFL dealers to recommend in the area?
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 11:57:23 PM EDT
[#1]
theres a shop in McKenna (the old church) that you can use. If its yours already theywill probly make you pay the use tax. but if you go back to PA for a visit, you can just bring it back with you or mail it to yourself. Yelm is nice, I miss JBLM. What unit are you going to, if you don't mind me asking?
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 12:04:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Gun shops don't collect the use tax anymore. You owe it but you are supposed to pay it yourself.

Yelm is nice. DuPont is nice but terribly expensive. Lacey is nice too if you don't mind more people around.
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 1:01:55 AM EDT
[#3]
MountedMedic is a realtor here. I bought my house through him when I PCSed out two years ago. You will not find a more honest or straight forward guy when it comes to looking for a house.
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 1:49:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks 2T2_Crash!  I'm happy to help you with your move.  As others very said, Yelm or Roy are more rural and the budget will stretch farther. It really depends on what you looking for.  You can also use the East gate from those locations and avoid the main gate morning back ups.  IM sent.
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 2:47:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the input guys, MM sent you an IM. I'm single so don't mind being around people, but don't want to be in the ghetto (heard bad things about parts of Tacoma and Spanaway). Looking at Yelm, Lacey and Olympia

Not sure which unit I'm going to yet just got an email from branch saying I'm going to Lewis.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 3:54:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Yelm, Lacey, Tumwater, Olympia, all good places south of JBLM. And, you're right about Parkland-Spanaway... dump! However, just at bit further east are the areas of Puyallup, South Hill, Frederickson, and Graham. Some really good neighborhoods in those areas.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 11:34:44 PM EDT
[#7]
I lived in spanaway, far south down by the go kart track. Its wasn't all that bad.  Anywhere south of JBLM is pretty good.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 11:41:23 PM EDT
[#8]
If you need a one bedroom bachelor pad at a good rate we have some open from time to time in a gentrifying part of Lakewood. It's 4.5 minutes from the McChord gate, a little farther to Lewis.
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 1:03:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you need a one bedroom bachelor pad at a good rate we have some open from time to time in a gentrifying part of Lakewood. It's 4.5 minutes from the McChord gate, a little farther to Lewis.
View Quote

IM sent
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 11:11:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Just got here myself. Staying in University Place. Pretty nice area, with a few 20-30 minute routes to the main/north gate or dupont gate.

Not to derail this, but I'm a few miles from the Tacoma Rifle and Revolver range. Anybody shoot there?
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 1:21:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Just got here myself. Staying in University Place. Pretty nice area, with a few 20-30 minute routes to the main/north gate or dupont gate.

Not to derail this, but I'm a few miles from the Tacoma Rifle and Revolver range. Anybody shoot there?
View Quote

I need to but haven't.

I live in UP as well, right by Curtis.
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 11:18:00 AM EDT
[#12]
Cool. I'm right by the Fircrest golf course.

Is there anywhere else to shoot close by? I've heard you can check out the mil ranges on Steilacoom Rd through mwr/adventure zone.
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 1:40:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Cool. I'm right by the Fircrest golf course.

Is there anywhere else to shoot close by? I've heard you can check out the mil ranges on Steilacoom Rd through mwr/adventure zone.
View Quote

I've only shot at Lewis's big range or out in the Capitol Forest. I haven't heard anything about using that range by Murray.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 1:04:04 PM EDT
[#14]
There is an "established" shooting range at Range 15. Out toward the east gate area. Open Sat. & Sun. 10am - 4pm, year round, and open Fri. in the summer (now). The military ranges along Dupont-Steilacoom Rd. are not really open for recreational (non-military unit) shooting. Yea, I know that people go back in there and shoot. Your risk.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 2:23:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Worst case scenario you pay a FFL transfer fee on the lower shipped from your mom.  You will not pay use/sales tax thanks to I-594.  Post 594 the state no longer requires FFL's to collect use tax on transfers originating from a private party.  So have your mom ship it directly to the local WA FFL, do not have her take it to a local gun shop to ship.  If she did that then they will collect use tax.

I echo the same, stay the hell away from Lakewood/Spanaway/Parkland, and surrounding area.  University Place and North Tacoma (from downtown all the way over to University Place) are both nice.

On the south end of base, Yelm/Lacey/Olympia for sure.

The shop in the old church in McKenna is called "County Line Sports".
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 4:54:19 PM EDT
[#16]
The shop in McKenna is closed now.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 1:56:35 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Worst case scenario you pay a FFL transfer fee on the lower shipped from your mom.  You will not pay use/sales tax thanks to I-594.  Post 594 the state no longer requires FFL's to collect use tax on transfers originating from a private party.  So have your mom ship it directly to the local WA FFL, do not have her take it to a local gun shop to ship.  If she did that then they will collect use tax.
View Quote

Yeah I'm cool paying a $30 FFL fee, but a 9.5% tax on a gun I already own, fuck off.  What would they even assess the tax on anyway? I paid $1100 for it IIRC back in 2013, configured as I bought it'd probably go for $8-900 now, and I also have about another $1000 put into it (an ACOG and a few other things). And I bought it through the Arfcom EE, I have no idea how much the original owner paid for it new.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 7:56:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Moot point now.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 12:12:41 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
What would they even assess the tax on anyway?
View Quote

If an invoice showing the amount paid is not included with the firearm then the it's left up to the dealer to "assess fair market value".  And they can't just say it's worth $10.  The state will audit, just the same they do now for used car values.  Too many people said they sold the car to a friend for a buck and the state wised up to it. They want their pound of flesh.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 12:36:14 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Moot point now.
View Quote

really? that sucks.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 4:17:10 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

really? that sucks.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Moot point now.

really? that sucks.

Dealer doesn't collect taxes if you receive it from a private party. If you get it from a dealer they do.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top