Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/26/2015 11:42:56 PM EDT
There's a possibility that I may be asked to relocate to Seattle from my current location in the SE US.  I'll be looking for a house in the Bothell area, any areas that I should avoid looking for a house?  Any issues with "high cap mags" or non-neutered ARs or AKs?  Any rules regarding storage of firearms/ammunition in your home?

Currently have a CC permit that won't be recognized in WA, how easy is it to apply for one in that area?
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 12:18:41 AM EDT
[#1]
I used to live in Bothell, it's a nice area.. I prefer the NE part out toward Woodinville and Monroe.  Commutes matter up here, so live as close to work as is reasonable for your lifestyle.

No restrictions on anything you mentioned. The only thing banned outright is SBS's and Full auto.. suppressors are good to go, SBRs are legal to own but the lgality of manufacturing/assembling one is being hashed out.. WA Form 1's are on hold.

CHL is very easy, no classes or training required. Just show up to the county sheriff's office, get printed, and pay your money. Mine came in the mail a week later.
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 2:09:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Also open carry is always legal, but no loaded firearms in car - once you have your cpl you can have loaded pistols in car, but long guns are still no. That should cover our oddities. Oh, no firearms in 21+ areas of bars/restaurants. Other than that obvious places like court houses
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 11:14:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Last I remember you have to prove residency of at least 90 days to get your CPL. Plus I still think its illegal to carry in any federal buildings, Its a pain in the butt every time I go to the post office.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 12:15:23 AM EDT
[#4]
no high cap mag bans.....yet. Normal semi-auto AKs/ARs are fine too.I don't think Seattle has any gun / ammo storage rules, but my town has a limit on how much powder you can store. I forget how much it is...but some towns have dumb rules like that.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 2:55:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Any good places to shoot around the Bothell area?
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 2:55:04 PM EDT
[#6]
It's going to be a drive to the mountains to shoot unless you go for indoor ranges.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 12:49:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's going to be a drive to the mountains to shoot unless you go for indoor ranges.
View Quote

The drives aren't obnoxious, though, and you get to see some really beautiful places while doing it.   Anyone used to the east coast will be (1) shocked at the sorts of places you can shoot in WA and (2) possibly more shocked at how it's taken for granted.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 2:07:19 PM EDT
[#8]
I grew up in Bothell and regularly visit my parents who still live there.  It is a really nice area, though it can be congested at times. It's in close proximity to just about anything you want to be close to (airport, major city, large mall and other retail, and outdoor areas).

Like someone said earlier, the closer you are to your job, the better.  I used to work in Bellevue (13 miles) and my morning commute down I-405 was at least an hour.  Northshore School district is one of the best in the state, if that's what you're looking for and the schools consistently rate high on the great schools website.  

Housing prices are getting ridiculous in that area though due to its proximity to the tech areas (Bellevue, Redmond).  A developer just bought our deceased neighbor's property and is putting up 3 (3500 sq ft+) houses on a 3/4 acre lot and is planning on selling them for $700k.  I do love the area though, and if my wife's job didn't take us a bit further south, we'd probably still live there.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 3:52:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Any good places to shoot around the Bothell area?
View Quote

https://interlakesporting.com/

15 minutes from Bothell. Outdoor pistol and covered 25/100/200 rifle range. $200 a year membership.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 8:19:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Kenmore range is in Bothell, but they have some odd rules (ie 1 round in mag at a time...)
Interlake's not bad (aside from the stairs, and I'm not even in bad shape!), but I didn't go enough and let my membership lapse

WCA is Bellevue for an indoor pistol range.
Don't bother with Wades.

There are less and less places due primarily to places getting trashed, but the best shooting is up in the woods imho.
Link Posted: 7/10/2015 8:16:33 PM EDT
[#11]
I just did the transfer from SE Florida to WA (bonney lake) and I absolutely love it up here.  
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 7:19:35 PM EDT
[#12]
are FTF sales allowed?
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 8:16:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Not anymore, unless you're doing them at a dealers shop for the transfer.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 9:35:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Unenforced. Will not comply. Ymmv. Etc.

Supposedly people are trying to work to get more exceptions through (like CPL, etc), but I dont think they like that, it was more a registration bill than a "background check" bill as it was touted. We'll see how it goes.

Link Posted: 7/22/2015 12:38:25 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Unenforced. Will not comply. Ymmv. Etc.

Supposedly people are trying to work to get more exceptions through (like CPL, etc), but I dont think they like that, it was more a registration bill than a "background check" bill as it was touted. We'll see how it goes.

View Quote

Yea, we actually NEED someone to get brought up on charges so they have standing to challenge it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top