Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/10/2015 4:43:32 PM EDT
Cost of living, politics, taxes, drought...SoCal is getting harder and harder to enjoy. If I had to move it might be to WA, specifically Seattle area. I love the relaxing vibe the PNW offers. I'm a waterman so I'm thiniking i"d enjoy all the waterways
Link Posted: 6/10/2015 8:03:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/10/2015 8:16:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Well, Seattle is the LAX of the Pacific Northwest.
Link Posted: 6/10/2015 8:27:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes!!  Enjoy the gray skies and it only rains from January to December.  Keep driving north on I-5 until you pass Blaine, WA.
Link Posted: 6/10/2015 11:10:03 PM EDT
[#4]
I hear the same stuff from a lot of the Californians who moved up here and then promptly voted in the same politicians and policies that made them want to leave CA. Now WA is turning into California Jr. (Oregon too).
Link Posted: 6/10/2015 11:23:02 PM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I hear the same stuff from a lot of the Californians who moved up here and then promptly voted in the same politicians and policies that made them want to leave CA. Now WA is turning into California Jr. (Oregon too).
View Quote
Truth.

We have enough Californians as it is.
Link Posted: 6/11/2015 12:27:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Well said
Link Posted: 6/11/2015 12:47:55 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm not from CA. Moved here a few years ago. Hate some aspects about it
Link Posted: 6/11/2015 1:25:31 AM EDT
[#8]
I was born and raised in CA... But I fucking hate CA and 90% of Californians.

It was a joy to finally move up here... But then shit like I-594 happened.

It's no wonder everyone else hates Californians.
Link Posted: 6/11/2015 2:22:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Are you feeling welcome, OP?

It is always easy to blame someone else for creeping liberalism, but the reality is that that is just the direction our nation has tended to evolve. We have plenty of our own homegrown libs. I can only imagine how awesome CA was before everyone from the rest of the country moved there.

Don't let the haters get to you. This an awesome place to live. If you are low key, laid back and don't always or ever talk about how things were back in CA, you'll do just fine.

I don't know what you mean about being a waterman, but if you are expecting to spend much time playing in water here, you are in for a cold surprise compared to CA.
Link Posted: 6/11/2015 10:05:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

This
Link Posted: 6/11/2015 7:32:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Well, Seattle is the LAX of the Pacific Northwest.
View Quote

That is so true, that's why I got as far as Portland.
Link Posted: 6/11/2015 8:48:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Not a very friendly welcome, assume OP is a big supporter of RKBA, which is why he is on this board. I have lived all over, including Kali, and Washington is a great place to live, some areas nicer than others in the State. Not hard to find close water on the West side.
Link Posted: 6/14/2015 1:20:24 AM EDT
[#13]
If I was in California, I'd want out too. Politics and liberalism in the urban areas of the Pacific NW are getting weird enough I sometimes give serious thought to finding a new home in a more conservative place, but too many family ties, and my love for the natural beauty of this place, not to mention increasing age, keep me here. OP, if you are moving here and bringing the right set of ideals, we could use some help. I like the Pacific NW the way it was 40 to 50 years ago, and the type of people that made it a good place to raise a God fearing family, by a man, the father, and a woman, the mother.
Link Posted: 6/14/2015 1:36:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Hell, I'm only 31 and the PNW is significantly more different than when I was a kid - specifically before the tech bubble really hit. It has lost a lot of its local culture in the past couple of decades with the huge influx of people.
Link Posted: 6/14/2015 1:43:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
It has lost a lot of its local culture in the past couple of decades with the huge influx of people.
View Quote

People say that everywhere.
Link Posted: 6/14/2015 4:09:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Wait until you get a water bill! We pay a lot more for water than Californians, despite the rain season from January to December.
Link Posted: 6/14/2015 7:43:10 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

It has lost a lot of its local culture in the past couple of decades with the huge influx of people.

That doesn't mean it isn't true.

Link Posted: 6/14/2015 8:33:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's the point. Name a place that hasn't changed in the last 20 years. Anywhere that someone from Washington wants to move to, some of the people already there will say it has been ruined by the likes of people from Washington moving there. It's the same as saying that Washington has been ruined by all of the forum members who moved here from somewhere else.

Newsflash: Population growth is occuring pretty much everywhere.
Link Posted: 6/14/2015 11:31:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 1:10:55 AM EDT
[#20]
In my opinion Washington state is now officially "new Kalifornia"
God help us and f#@^  kali!!!
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 3:15:38 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
That's the point. Name a place that hasn't changed in the last 20 years. Anywhere that someone from Washington wants to move to, some of the people already there will say it has been ruined by the likes of people from Washington moving there. It's the same as saying that Washington has been ruined by all of the forum members who moved here from somewhere else.

View Quote

How about Iowa?  After growing up there the first half of my life and going back after 15 years, it's like going back in time.  But the Midwest in general doesn't experience the kind of change coastal cities do.  Redmond/Bellevue has changed dramatically in the last 10-15 years since I've been here, at times I feel like I'm in a foreign country.
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 9:32:26 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

How about Iowa?  After growing up there the first half of my life and going back after 15 years, it's like going back in time.  But the Midwest in general doesn't experience the kind of change coastal cities do.  Redmond/Bellevue has changed dramatically in the last 10-15 years since I've been here, at times I feel like I'm in a foreign country.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How about the large influx of non-English speaking Hispanics that have invaded numerous Midwestern States. I have been in towns in the Midwest and I thought I was in Kali Ag towns.
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 6:13:38 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Cost of living, politics, taxes, drought...SoCal is getting harder and harder to enjoy. If I had to move it might be to WA, specifically Seattle area. I love the relaxing vibe the PNW offers. I'm a waterman so I'm thiniking i"d enjoy all the waterways
View Quote
Cost of living is becoming on par, politics in Seattle are as well or worse, it's drought conditions here too (especially regarding snow pack).

Link Posted: 6/19/2015 8:46:42 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Depending on what apartment complex you're in.. you *are* in a foreign country.
Link Posted: 6/22/2015 1:46:53 AM EDT
[#25]
I hear Oregon is good, has class 3 and the PNW vibe!!!

Check the PDX coffe shops for further info

Link Posted: 6/23/2015 2:35:01 PM EDT
[#26]
UPDATE - yes, we're liking moving. I'm in the marine industry and lots of my customers are in PNW anyway. It's good for my career too. Won't be living in Seattle as that would defeat the purposes on moving away from SoCal.

Anyone would wants to chill, I like long walks on the beach, standard cap mags, cars w/ AWD and sailboat racing.

Now, where can i go shooting outdoors?

Link Posted: 6/23/2015 3:09:40 PM EDT
[#27]
You missed the spring sailing season but whidbey island race week is coming up next month. Good place to make business contacts. I know quite a few riggers and sailmakers too.

Have you settled on a place? Anacortes and Port Townsend are centers for marine services outside of Seattle.
Link Posted: 6/23/2015 7:02:58 PM EDT
[#28]
Thinking about Gig Harbor.
Link Posted: 6/23/2015 10:46:19 PM EDT
[#29]
Gig Harbor is nice, home of the Thunderbird.  It's growing a lot though, tons of traffic flows over the narrows.  I'm starting the framing on another house out that way on Monday.

Feel free to PM me questions
Link Posted: 6/24/2015 2:05:56 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

Beautiful and calm area. my cousin lives on five acres out there that has been in the family for 30 years at least.
Link Posted: 6/24/2015 10:54:38 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Now, where can i go shooting outdoors?

View Quote

Tacoma Mall.
Link Posted: 6/24/2015 8:31:30 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Tacoma Mall.
View Quote

He said outdoors.  That's in.

I work in Gig Harbor and live in Dupont.  The Harbor is nice, but it can be quite expensive to live here.  Might not seem high to you though if you are from the Bay Area or the LA Megalopolis.  It is indeed getting more crowded just since my company moved us here in 2007.  I'm a member of the small shooting club here in Gig Harbor and I shoot after work:  Gig Harbor Sportsmen's Club.  Trap, archery, 100 yard rifle and 15 yard-ish pistol.  No action shooting bays.

Rob
Link Posted: 6/24/2015 9:03:08 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote
Expensive and snotty locals.
Link Posted: 6/24/2015 9:06:07 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote
No, we don't hate all Californians, we hate Californians who bring their California (entitlement) attitude to this state.  When in Rome.........
Link Posted: 6/24/2015 9:13:56 PM EDT
[#35]
I live in the Gig Harbor area.  Get closer out to the Key Peninsula and there's lots of awesome places with acreage you can shoot on.  try that near gig harbor  and the sheriff will probably get called.

Also in the Marine industry here,  mind sharing what you do?  I work with marine electronics/communications/IT.
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 6:29:50 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I live in the Gig Harbor area.  Get closer out to the Key Peninsula and there's lots of awesome places with acreage you can shoot on.  try that near gig harbor  and the sheriff will probably get called.

Also in the Marine industry here,  mind sharing what you do?  I work with marine electronics/communications/IT.
View Quote

Shipbuilding. I travel for work so I can live anywhere. But being that a lot of my cutomers are in PNW this area would reduce some travel for me.

Re: the "expenisve" part, it's comparitive. Where I live now is expensive. I'll have more cash there for sure
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 6:31:49 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

View Quote

Nice place...

Got to pay the bridge trolls to get anywhere, though....
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 2:50:09 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Not a very friendly welcome, assume OP is a big supporter of RKBA, which is why he is on this board. I have lived all over, including Kali, and Washington is a great place to live, some areas nicer than others in the State. Not hard to find close water on the West side.
View Quote

Plenty of RKBA supporters on this board also love things like goofy transit projects, $15/hr minimum wages, etc.

But yes, you can at least assume they're OK.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 5:58:41 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

How about Iowa? After growing up there the first half of my life and going back after 15 years, it's like going back in time. But the Midwest in general doesn't experience the kind of change coastal cities do. Redmond/Bellevue has changed dramatically in the last 10-15 years since I've been here, at times I feel like I'm in a foreign country.

When I first met my wife, the complex she lived in, in south everett she nick named "The U.N.".
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 1:47:00 PM EDT
[#40]
If you like Gig Harbor look about 10 miles north in Kitsap county.  More land, less taxes and cheaper to live but still close to everything for shopping.  We just moved up here and were looking at GH but settled on Port orchard and love it up here.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top