Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/28/2015 11:51:22 PM EDT
Decided to start a new thread regarding previously approved Form 1s for SBRs. What happens next to those folks that were approved?

My Form 1 was approved September 2014 and I'm headed down to Portland this weekend. I also have an approved From 5320.20 for that same SBR.  I guess I'll be assembling my SBR and documenting that while I'm there.

Any other thoughts?
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 12:12:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Nobody knows yet. The only info I have came from my IOI which if you know anything you know that they make things up as they go. But he said they would revoke stamps and tell people to put them back to title 1 configuration. They dont want to arrest people over it is what he said.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 12:47:21 AM EDT
[#2]
No one knows. Whatever you do, document your out of state making. In such a scenario, what are they going to arrest a person for...making an SBR in Oregon? No. Submitting bogus forums? Nope. I see no law being broken....unless you made the thing in WA. Even then, due process before property can be taken.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 1:08:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No one knows. Whatever you do, document your out of state making. In such a scenario, what are they going to arrest a person for...making an SBR in Oregon? No. Submitting bogus forums? Nope. I see no law being broken....unless you made the thing in WA. Even then, due process before property can be taken.
View Quote

And even if you made it in WA, it's a state law violation, not a federal one so its not like the ATF would be after you.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 1:31:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Nobody knows.  That is all we know right, sit tight and wait for more info like the rest of us.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 8:54:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Could someone please forward Clutter's contact info to me???

Thank you.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 10:36:07 AM EDT
[#6]
It's posted in the other thread.  I'm not bothering e-mail him, I'm sure he already has a couple thousand e-mails in his inbox and we will all hear shortly once he returns some of those.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 10:44:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Could someone please forward Clutter's contact info to me???

Thank you.
View Quote

I emailed you his signature block from an email I received from him back in September. It includes his mailing address and phone number along with a different email address.. usdoj.gov vs atf.gov.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 6:15:42 PM EDT
[#8]
If the stamp is your "permission" to make the SBR, wouldn't rescinding the issued stamps be a bit like rescinding a building permit after a building has been built?

-john
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 6:42:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
It's posted in the other thread.  I'm not bothering e-mail him, I'm sure he already has a couple thousand e-mails in his inbox and we will all hear shortly once he returns some of those.
View Quote

Anthony, I am having the head of WA DOL firearms division contact Clutter, along with Brian Blake, the original sponsor of the bill.  My suggestion elsewhere is exactly what you stated, lay off Clutter emails, and let the powers that be talk this over and get it settled..

I'll let you folks know as soon as I hear anything.  Brian and I talk regularly, maybe 2-3 times a week, so as soon as he hears something, he'll give me a call.

Patience folks.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 8:08:08 PM EDT
[#10]
This is NOT good news. I have about 3 to 4 weeks left to wait on a form 1 SBR stamp.
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 12:19:13 AM EDT
[#11]
Try waiting 60+ days and then be disapproved over some bullshit... THEN tell us about not good
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 12:52:59 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Try waiting 60+ days and then be disapproved over some bullshit... THEN tell us about not good
View Quote

I am in the same boat. Been waiting over 2 months and was hoping to hear something in the next few weeks. I just checked and it still says pending but I am pretty sure I know where this is going.
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 11:45:19 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

my friend waited 84 days, nfa tracker said that people filing a few days before and after him were getting f1's back so he was expecting his approval any minute. he wasn't happy when later that day the denial emails went out.
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 9:12:26 PM EDT
[#14]
I got excited when I saw my Denial email because all I saw was "Your eForm status has changed..." then I opened it
Link Posted: 5/31/2015 6:52:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Decided to start a new thread regarding previously approved Form 1s for SBRs. What happens next to those folks that were approved?

My Form 1 was approved September 2014 and I'm headed down to Portland this weekend. I also have an approved From 5320.20 for that same SBR.  I guess I'll be assembling my SBR and documenting that while I'm there.

Any other thoughts?
View Quote

obviously, there's no online proceedure for the 5320.20: how long did it take from time of submission until you got the completed, approved form back?
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 12:50:41 AM EDT
[#16]
What is the federal code that states I am allowed to transport across state line for purpose of "assembly" of sbr I am wanting to put it on the 5320.20? I know they had a thread on it somewhere but I am week on my Google fu
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 9:42:43 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

obviously, there's no online proceedure for the 5320.20: how long did it take from time of submission until you got the completed, approved form back?
View Quote

Took around 3 weeks after I mailed it to get the approved 5320.20 back

My line 5 on the 5320.20 was "Personal repair/assembly by self"
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 6:32:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
What is the federal code that states I am allowed to transport across state line for purpose of "assembly" of sbr I am wanting to put it on the 5320.20? I know they had a thread on it somewhere but I am week on my Google fu
View Quote

It's not in federal code, it's in the NFA Handbook. I referenced the handbook / section in my 5320.20s, and they approved them.
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 6:49:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

It's not in federal code, it's in the NFA Handbook. I referenced the handbook / section in my 5320.20s, and they approved them.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Can you post the exact verbiage you used so we can cut and paste into our 5320.20.
Link Posted: 6/2/2015 12:44:41 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Can you post the exact verbiage you used so we can cut and paste into our 5320.20.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

All I put (and I've no way of telling whether or not it will be approved) is that I was "transporting the parts to OR & assembling the SBR there to comply with this states prohibition of manufacture & then returning to WA with the completed SBR"
Link Posted: 6/2/2015 1:52:53 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

All I put (and I've no way of telling whether or not it will be approved) is that I was "transporting the parts to OR & assembling the SBR there to comply with this states prohibition of manufacture & then returning to WA with the completed SBR"
View Quote

Don't use this ^ language.  It just feeds the belief that "making" a SBR in Washington is illegal.  If you feel you absolutely must transport to OR to assemble it, use language such as "transporting for assembly/repair by self."

Link Posted: 6/2/2015 3:31:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not a lawyer, or giving legal advice, but this is exactly what I put on my form in the "reason for transportation of firearm" block (5)...

"Initial making, per the NFA Handbook, Section 6.4, and all other lawful purposes."

Here is the full text of Section 6.4...with the portion describing getting help with the making process italicized...and the part involving getting help making in another state bolded and italicized...

Section 6.4 Approval of Form 1. Non-FFL/SOT’s may seek approval to manufacture an NFA firearm
(e.g., short-barreled rifles, short-barreled, shotguns, wallet guns, etc.) via submission of an ATF Form 1.
Upon receipt of the completed Form 1, ATF will process the application and, if approved, a tax stamp
will be affixed to the original of the form and the approved application will be returned to the applicant.
Approval by ATF will effect registration of the firearm to the applicant. Upon receipt of the approved
application, the applicant may make the firearm described on the approved Form 1. The approved form
must be retained by the applicant and made available at all times for inspection by ATF officers or
investigators. Note: Under no circumstances may the firearm in question be made prior to receipt of
the approved Form 1.

The approval of the Form 1 application authorizes the applicant to make the firearm. The approval does
not authorize the applicant to convey or ship the firearm to another person to manufacture the NFA
firearm. If another person will manufacture the NFA firearm, the other person would be the maker and
the application must be submitted by that person. Subsequent to the making, the firearm could then be
transferred, subsequent to an approved Form 4 application, to the person who wanted the modification to
be made.

If the applicant on the Form 1 lacks the skill, ability, and/or equipment to manufacture the NFA firearm,
the applicant, after receipt of the approved Form 1, can have the firearm created or modified at a
premises other than shown on the approved Form 1 as long as the creation or modification was done
under the direct oversight of the applicant, thus having the applicant retain custody and control of the
firearm. If the location is outside the applicant’s State and the firearm being made is a short barreled
rifle, short barreled shotgun, destructive device, or an unserviceable machinegun which is being
reactivated, the applicant will also need to request permission to transport the firearm interstate as
required by 27 CFR 478.28

In my non-expert opinion, the NFA Handbook may not be law....but with it and an ATF-approved Form 1 and 5320.20 the prosecution would have a VERY uphill climb to bust someone for "illegally making" in OR, as a WA resident. It would have to be the feds doing it, and their own policy / approvals say it's OK so...
Link Posted: 6/6/2015 12:19:22 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Any other thoughts?
View Quote

Yeah... sit back and shut up.
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 9:35:53 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Don't use this ^ language.  It just feeds the belief that "making" a SBR in Washington is illegal.  If you feel you absolutely must transport to OR to assemble it, use language such as "transporting for assembly/repair by self."

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wouldn't "For all lawful purposes" suffice?

Link Posted: 6/26/2015 4:24:56 PM EDT
[#25]
It's been a few weeks.. Has anyone heard anything or changed anything?

As I got a 5320 and assembled my SBR with witnesses in Idaho, I think I am particularly safe but I am wondering what my fellow Washington SBR owners are doing.

Thanks,
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 7:37:05 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
It's been a few weeks.. Has anyone heard anything or changed anything?

As I got a 5320 and assembled my SBR with witnesses in Idaho, I think I am particularly safe but I am wondering what my fellow Washington SBR owners are doing.

Thanks,
View Quote

You are not.  The 5320 has NOT been proven to be a iron clad way of assembling a SBR.  "IF" they pull Form 1 SBR stamps then they will pull ALL of them.
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 9:33:31 PM EDT
[#27]
There's no evidence of that...and even if true, it would be a request. See nolo / mg suit. The atf could have sent the cat stompers... but all they sent was an angry letter....and that was WAY fewer people.
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 1:21:27 PM EDT
[#28]
You should probably call the ATF 5,386 times and ask..........
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top