Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/22/2015 12:49:27 PM EDT
I had planned on holding a Silencer Shoot at the Kitsap Rifle and Revolver Club on July 18th, but with the decision by Kitsap County Judge Roof to prohibit shooting at the club until they obtain a use permit I was unable to ensure we would be open by that time.  I think it is unlikely that the County will issue a permit to KRRC, ever.  The KRRC feels applying for a permit will negate their grandfathered status which was affirmed by the Appeals Court.  The Poulsbo Sportsman Club is currently open while awaiting a use permit.  I don't know for how long the County will allow them to operate without a permit or what kind of additional restrictions will be placed on them if a permit is issued in the future.

Kitsap Sun Article
Kitsap Tea Party article
Judge's desicion

Please remind the county Commissioners that they need to explain why they are the only jurisdiction that would sue a shooting club over noise complaints then tell the club that use of noise abatement is illegal.

Commissioners homepage

There are other Silencer Shoots going on in the state for those who are interested.

Randy
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 12:53:23 AM EDT
[#1]
That's too bad. I really enjoyed last year's shoot. Please IM me info on the other shoots. Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 1:36:14 AM EDT
[#2]
This is probably a really stupid question, but given the affirmed grandfather status, what could potentially happen if KRRC just said "screw it" and opened up for business any way?

I mean the obvious answer is more lawsuits, but what standing does the county even have to do what they've done thus far?
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 11:09:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
This is probably a really stupid question, but given the affirmed grandfather status, what could potentially happen if KRRC just said "screw it" and opened up for business any way?
View Quote

The judge's order said that the KRRC is responsible to ensure no firearms are discharged on their property.  I think anyone caught by the police using a gun there might be arrested; maybe the judge could charge them with with contempt of court?  The range is still open, range officers are present to ensure the rules are enforced; shooting or not.  

There is video surveillance to prove that the club is not allowing gun use when the inevitable complaints about noise from people shooting near the club boundaries are reported to the police.  One of the things the KRRC RO's do is record the time and approximate location of any gun noise they hear originating from property around the club; including the guy just across the fence who shoots on his property into a small berm and is one of the principle complainers associated with Central Kitsap Safe and Quiet.

Quoted:I mean the obvious answer is more lawsuits, but what standing does the county even have to do what they've done thus far?
View Quote

The commissioners are elected to run the county and they pass the ordinances that govern the way people live in Kitsap.  Considering the margin by which two of the Commissioners were elected, the portion of the quarter million people who live in the county and bother to vote are satisfied with running the ranges out of business.  So far the courts have affirmed the county's rights to do whatever they want with one exception; the appeals court upheld the KRRC's grandfathered status to exist as a shooting club on their land and that the County should have come to some resolution other than closing the club.  So it appears that the KRRC's right to exist is grandfathered, but not the right to use guns on their property or anything else.  A gun range without guns; that makes as much sense as the county suing the range over noise then telling them use of noise abatement is illegal.

Randy

Link Posted: 5/28/2015 12:18:52 AM EDT
[#4]
I have had a blast at all of them, I was looking forward to this years as I am expecting my first stamp for a 10" 300 Blk in the next few weeks. I was looking to get more info before buying or building my first can. Kitsap County BLOWS.
Link Posted: 5/31/2015 12:33:24 AM EDT
[#5]
These people made a choice to live by a shooting range. The idiotic mindset of people nowadays astounds me. These politicians are catering to the complaints of a select few idiots who decide to live by a shooting range and complain about noise.
I'm glad I moved to mason county, seeing the road Kitsap is taking, and I pray Mason does not follow down the same path.
Link Posted: 5/31/2015 1:25:14 AM EDT
[#6]
I think Mason is taking a different path.  As far as I know the Peninsula Premiere Pro Shop has been waiting for over a year to obtain a use permit to build a rifle range.  Looks like the Mason County Commissioners will just not allow any ranges to be built.  The last outdoor range we had got shutdown and now all we got is a tiny indoor range.

Or am I wrong?

Randy
Link Posted: 6/4/2015 3:48:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
These people made a choice to live by a shooting range. The idiotic mindset of people nowadays astounds me. These politicians are catering to the complaints of a select few idiots who decide to live by a shooting range and complain about noise.
I'm glad I moved to mason county, seeing the road Kitsap is taking, and I pray Mason does not follow down the same path.
View Quote

IIRC some of the first complaints were leveraged by people living in a Chico housing development (Eldorado?) nowhere near the range. Some of the residents claimed that bullets had struck their homes - somehow those bullets had made it out of KRRC, passed over a fairly large hill, and landed just before the Chico waterfront. Same guy who started the complaint was the registered owner of Kitsap Safe & Quiet LLC who have been harassing the range via the county.

And wasn't there someone on the OTHER side of Dyes Inlet who claimed a round from KRRC hit his home?
Link Posted: 6/5/2015 1:16:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:The judge's order said that the KRRC is responsible to ensure no firearms are discharged on their property.  I think anyone caught by the police using a gun there might be arrested; maybe the judge could charge them with with contempt of court?
View Quote

Indeed. Everyone knows that only Obama/his executive branch can ignore court orders!  
Link Posted: 6/5/2015 11:10:27 AM EDT
[#9]
Where are the other Silencer Shoots happening?
Bummer about kitsap. Yall had an awesome range that was worth the travel from bothell. I remember the last silencer shoot I did Yall were super friendly and motivated me to invest in some cans.
Link Posted: 6/5/2015 1:45:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Renton Fish and Game Club Suppressor Shoot

There is a silencer shoot in Renton Saturday August 22 2015, 10 am to 2pm.  The one they had in 2011 two days after silencers became legal to use was very good and I enjoyed myself a lot.

However this one is different; Waiver
Form 1 Suppressors are not allowed
View Quote

They want to keep the pistol line subsonic only to allow use without hearing protection.  Sounds good, but they don't want form 1 cans there.  I have several suppressed rifles and pistols that are obviously hearing safe, but I still can't bring them.  I had hoped to bring my new 223, 300 blk and 50 bmg suppressed rifles.  I wrote to the RFGC board of directors explaining how I brought suppressed firearms to their 2011 shoot and had no complaints.  Hopefully I hear back from them.

K&E Arms, Liberty, SilencerCo will be there so it should be a good time.

Randy
Link Posted: 6/10/2015 2:38:55 PM EDT
[#11]
No form 1? Why?
Link Posted: 6/10/2015 3:44:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
No form 1? Why?
View Quote

Form 1 cans are icky, and cannot possibly sound as good as ones that cost 8X the price.

Didn't you know this?

Link Posted: 6/11/2015 9:15:14 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
No form 1? Why?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
No form 1? Why?

Link to WA Guns thread
The intent of the shoot was for suppressor owners to be able to shoot without hearing protection if they choose to

Form 1 became a problem because of no stated dB reduction which is supported by manufactures testing

I know my suppressed rifles with subsonic ammo are hearing safe.  I'm also fairly certain I will have the only suppressed 510 whisper, 50 bmg and 338 whispers at the shoot if I'm allowed to bring them.

Randy
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top