Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/21/2015 2:12:32 AM EDT
How do I tell a good machine shop from a mediocre one?
What are normal rates for modeling all the way up to cnc machining a prototype? I was qouted $70 hr to work with client and build a model by a shop down south.
What certifications should the shop possess?

If it helps I am in the western side of Washington. I know there are a plethora of shops in Everett and Arlington.
I am open to all parts of W. WA

Thanks,
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 4:13:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
How do I tell a good machine shop from a mediocre one?
What are normal rates for modeling all the way up to cnc machining a prototype? I was qouted $70 hr to work with client and build a model by a shop down south.
What certifications should the shop possess?

If it helps I am in the western side of Washington. I know there are a plethora of shops in Everett and Arlington.
I am open to all parts of W. WA

Thanks,
View Quote

That's a pretty good rate.
I know a lot of shops, been machining for 20 years now, but they're all buried in Boeing work.

Certs don't really mean much for what you're looking for. Certs like ISO9001 are required by some larger customers. Basically all it does is show that you have policies and procedures in place and documented, and that you follow them all the time. IMO ISO certs are really overrated. I've been audited many times for various ISO certs but we know they're coming and they never check any other time of the year.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top