Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/19/2015 3:04:04 PM EDT
I'm curious what ideas people have for legislation for next year's session.  Yes it is very early to be discussing it, think of it as a planning session and a way to get people thinking about how things could be better.  Off the top of my head in no particular order here is a list of things I think would improve WA:

legal FA
legal SBS
repeal I-594
CLEO shall sign law for NFA approvals (probably do this before getting FA + SBS)
decommission pistol registry
straighten up SBR wording to make clear manufacturing & making etc is legal
constitutional carry (no permit for concealed)
legal protection to ranges for noise if they meet a specified widely accepted standard, and clarity that stationary noise abatement devices are the preferred legal remedy (noise below x level at y distance from range?)

We need to be on the offensive when it comes to battling bills in the legislature, not constantly on the defensive.

What else can you guys think of?
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 4:02:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
legal FA
View Quote

Unlikely to happen

legal SBS
View Quote

Should happen if Representative Blake (D) sponsors a bill

repeal I-594
View Quote

Might happen for parts of it especially if the AG writes an opinion showing how stuipd the new laws are.  
The new laws require that UPS and FedEx employees obtain a bkgd check prior to accepting a packaged gun for shipping.
Do we really need to make shooting a friend's gun in the woods a felony?

CLEO shall sign law for NFA approvals (probably do this before getting FA + SBS)
straighten up SBR wording to make clear manufacturing & making etc is legal
View Quote

Should be easy to add to any gun legislation next session.

legal protection to ranges for noise if they meet a specified widely accepted standard, and clarity that stationary noise abatement devices are the preferred legal remedy (noise below x level at y distance from range?)
View Quote

This needs to happen.  Kitsap County actually tried to tell me that use of stationary noise abatement devices was illegal.  They were the only county in the state that tried to use the dangerous weapons statute (9.41.250) to ban use of a box.  Even the BATFE and WA AG thought they were nuts.

Randy
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 4:51:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

This needs to happen.  Kitsap County actually tried to tell me that use of stationary noise abatement devices was illegal.  They were the only county in the state that tried to use the dangerous weapons statute (9.41.250) to ban use of a box.  Even the BATFE and WA AG thought they were nuts.

Randy
View Quote

Yea, I included that one because of you.  I appreciate your responses, seems like you and Dawgfish are the most vocal on the political side of things.  

Have any advice/comments on how civilians help any of these things become law?  (yes, go to rallys, yes donate some money, yes email/call your reps, but what else?)  I have a day job so I can't hang out in Olympia sliding bill proposals under doors in the capitol or buying them drinks after session to befriend them in to our line of thinking (not that I'm sure either of those approaches would be fruitful either)
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 5:15:40 PM EDT
[#3]
I turned both of my Democrat Reps from "maybe" on the silencer bill to co-sponsors with a face to face meeting.  It was that simple.  Since they are all part time legislators, they are rather approachable for the most part.  Some like Jenkins will only meet with actual constituents at certain times of the year, but I was able to see her by asking a guy from Tacoma to make the appointment then invite me along.  The important thing is that they get quality information from you and not from some anti-(insert anything here) freak instead.  

Another thing to do is bring friends to hearings so you all can sign in as supportive of the bills you like and oppose the bills you are against.  Watch how things work at the first hearing you attend then plan on speaking the next time you go.  If you have a day job this is the most expensive part of the process. It costs me hundreds of dollars in lost wages (actually vacation time) to attend hearings when there is a bill I'm interested in speaking on.  You need to get there at least 90 minutes early to sign up to speak on the most well known bills like the bkgd check bill of I-594.  Add in the round trip to travel from Belfair to Olympia as well as the wait for your bill to be discussed and it is really an all day event.  Maybe I should be on the afternoon shift in the shipyard when the legislature in in session?  

Any SBS bill will get very little attention as most people just don't care about it, even when they banned them in 1994.

Randy
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 10:28:20 PM EDT
[#4]
FA= no chance.
SBS is a meh. Blake is willing to run it.  
SBR clarification is written. Just needs an opening through Judiciary.
Shall sign for nfa may not have support from wacops, etc.
Would love to see a shooting range protection bill.  I'll run that past Blake.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 1:37:41 PM EDT
[#5]
That we can't have shall-sign NFA is BS. If ATF clears you to go, the CLEO should have no say in the matter.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 11:14:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Number 1 thing we need is either repeal i594 or at least make exemptions for CPL/FFL03/firearms older than 50 years/residents of the same household as well as a clarification on loan to ensure that lending a firearm to someone at the range or in your home isn't a violation. We could also de-tooth it by making a violation be a misdemeanor/felony if the transfer is to a prohibited person.

Another thing to do is redefine antique to mean "Any firearm made during or before 1945" or something. This incidentally does not touch the text of I594, but only really helps us milsurp guys. But its still way better than "1898 and can't fire commercially available modern ammo".

SBS and SBR clarification makes sense to me and would easily fit in the same bill, if we can get it.

What I really would like to push for is replacing the ban on carrying while at a bar/21+ area of a restaurant with a ban on carrying with a BAC over .08. They accomplish the same point, but why should I not be allowed to carry if I'm sober? Leaving your pistol in the car when you go to a bar or something also increases the risk of it being stolen if someone smashes your window like they like to do in King County. And if you can't legally/safely operate a car, I wouldn't reckon you could operate a gun either. Small pain point that I doubt anyone on the legislature (except jinkins) would have an issue with. I'd like to draft a bill to do this and run it by my reps when I get the time.

Anyway, I'm pessimistic about us getting ANYTHING while Jinkins is the house judiciary leader, she'll just refuse to allow anything progun to a vote just like last session. I also expect Inslee to veto a repeal of 594. So those are our real problems, imo.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 11:22:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Tagged to know when to start sending e-mails.  

Link Posted: 5/23/2015 12:14:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That we can't have shall-sign NFA is BS. If ATF clears you to go, the CLEO should have no say in the matter.
View Quote

X2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top