Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/26/2015 1:07:29 PM EDT
Can a Florida resident purchase a long gun from an FFL in person without having to have it transferred through an FFL in my home state? I'm not seeing any contiguous state laws for Washington and the search results I get are the same bunch of non-answers or off topic answers that have been floating around for years.

I'm planning on dropping by Rainier Arms and grabbing a receiver or two before I fly home.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 2:48:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Long gun - Yes, you can purchase long guns as long as the firearm is not illegal (no brainer), you are eligible to posses firearms in your state of residence and as long as you get a proceed from NICS.

If I remember correctly, as an out of state resident, you would not be able to purchase a receiver while in Washington.

"RCW 9.41.124
Purchasing by nonresidents.
Residents of a state other than Washington may purchase rifles and shotguns in Washington: PROVIDED, That such residents conform to the applicable provisions of the federal Gun Control Act of 1968, Title IV, Pub. L. 90-351 as administered by the United States secretary of the treasury: AND PROVIDED FURTHER, That such residents are eligible to purchase or possess such weapons in Washington and in the state in which such persons reside: AND PROVIDED FURTHER, That such residents are subject to the procedures and background checks required by this chapter."

Title 18, Section 922 - B (3)
(b) It shall be unlawful for any licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector to sell or deliver—
(3) any firearm to any person who the licensee knows or has reasonable cause to believe does not reside in (or if the person is a corporation or other business entity, does not maintain a place of business in) the State in which the licensee’s place of business is located, except that this paragraph (A) shall not apply to the sale or delivery of any rifle or shotgun to a resident of a State other than a State in which the licensee’s place of business is located if the transferee meets in person with the transferor to accomplish the transfer, and the sale, delivery, and receipt fully comply with the legal conditions of sale in both such States (and any licensed manufacturer, importer or dealer shall be presumed, for purposes of this subparagraph, in the absence of evidence to the contrary, to have had actual knowledge of the State laws and published ordinances of both States), and (B) shall not apply to the loan or rental of a firearm to any person for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes;
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 3:46:45 PM EDT
[#2]
LONG guns are fine, but Receivers are NOT.  They are classified as "Other", which means you have to be 21 and a resident of the state in which you are purchasing.  So no stripped lowers or even complete lowers with a buttstock, since they are still not "Long Guns" until they have 16"+ upper on them and sold as a complete rifle.....
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 6:35:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the answers. I guess I'll forego the 2 hour drive there.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 3:07:44 AM EDT
[#4]
I moved to WA 2 days ago and was told that out of staters could buy a long gun but only if from a neighboring state.  Did they give me bad info?
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 3:52:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Yes, they gave you bad info. I posted the statute from the RCW as well as the USC previously. Nothing in there states that it has to be an adjoining state.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 7:17:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Too bad for them!  I would have bought an overpriced .22 MP-5 from that store!
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 12:37:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Too bad for them!  I would have bought an overpriced .22 MP-5 from that store!
View Quote

Do you remember what store it was? Not to start a flame war, but just curious?
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 10:32:46 PM EDT
[#8]
It was some sportings goods store in Belleview.  Don't remember the name, it had a 5 in it, like "5 guys sportings goods" or something.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 1:58:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Just here to say that Scollins and firepyro515 have the correct information.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 5:26:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
It was some sportings goods store in Belleview.  Don't remember the name, it had a 5 in it, like "5 guys sportings goods" or something.
View Quote

Big 5 I assume? There's one in Factoria in front of T-Mobile there, I can see them being idiots.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 6:10:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Big 5 I assume? There's one in Factoria in front of T-Mobile there, I can see them being idiots.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, that's the place.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top