Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/26/2015 12:39:57 AM EDT
I thought I read previously that the registration information is shared with the FBI & ATF.
Looking at the form I don't see it mentioned and am wondering if I imagined it.
Anybody else know more or have a link?

I really don't want to register but if it was only kept local at jblm it'd bother me slightly less.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 6:20:50 AM EDT
[#1]
As far as I know, and it's been 5 years since I was AD MP, the cops system is just with the army. Now it won't be just registered at JBLM but army wide. If your name is searched that weapon will come back to you at JBLM or Ft. Bragg. The weapons registration system works similar to the on base vehicle registration place/system. Is off base housing an option for you? That way you can ignore the registration.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 2:24:02 AM EDT
[#2]
if you plan to drive through the base to use the range outside Ft Lewis you are supposed to register your weapons there. I'll be damned if I do, but I'm no longer AD and dont have a command to get pissy over it if I get hemmed up.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 11:27:05 PM EDT
[#3]
So... What can the MPs do if they check your firearms at the range or on your way to the range??  Will the issue a ticket/court summons and/or seize your firearms??  Just wondering since I'm moving back home and will be using the off-duty range on Ft. Lewis.

Not too crazy about registering my firearms with anybody, but losing them or having to go to court over them is another issue.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 11:48:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So... What can the MPs do if they check your firearms at the range or on your way to the range??  Will the issue a ticket/court summons and/or seize your firearms??  Just wondering since I'm moving back home and will be using the off-duty range on Ft. Lewis.

Not too crazy about registering my firearms with anybody, but losing them or having to go to court over them is another issue.
View Quote

You can always drive around the base to get to the range from the south. I really don't know what I risk cutting through base to get to the range with un registered firearms. I figure "shit my bad, I'm just a dumb civilian now" will get me a warning.

Not the smartest plan but rarely do I use that range.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 2:04:47 AM EDT
[#5]
You're supposed to register your firearms just to use the range as the range itself is part of JBLM, even if not in the secured area.
I'm not really sure what penalty is. Could be an actual criminal charge. Or someone could do something really crazy and petty as I'm assuming you're retired. You could be recalled for punishment under the UCMJ as we're subject to it for the rest of our lives. Reduction in grade is a possibility. An extremely rare one, but in a perfect storm it could happen. If you just happened to piss of some petty general.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 2:22:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
You're supposed to register your firearms just to use the range as the range itself is part of JBLM, even if not in the secured area.
I'm not really sure what penalty is. Could be an actual criminal charge. Or someone could do something really crazy and petty as I'm assuming you're retired. You could be recalled for punishment under the UCMJ as we're subject to it for the rest of our lives. Reduction in grade is a possibility. An extremely rare one, but in a perfect storm it could happen. If you just happened to piss of some petty general.
View Quote

not retired, just separated after 12 years
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 2:16:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
As far as I know, and it's been 5 years since I was AD MP, the cops system is just with the army. Now it won't be just registered at JBLM but army wide. If your name is searched that weapon will come back to you at JBLM or Ft. Bragg. The weapons registration system works similar to the on base vehicle registration place/system. Is off base housing an option for you? That way you can ignore the registration.
View Quote

I'm not in the military just a grown up Army brat.

I found my old registration form I used for my pistol back in 2005 and it states: "10 U.S.C. Section 3013 [...] Routine Use: Information is furnished to [FBI], US Customs Services, [BATF], state and local law enforcement, etc., for investigation and prosecution when such cases fall within their jurisdiction."

I'm just not sure what the really entails.

The current registration available at http://www.lewis-mcchord.army.mil/des/le_veh_registration.htm
makes no mention of this anymore, however.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 11:36:43 AM EDT
[#8]
So my question is, what if I as a civilian had somebody sponsor me on to use the range, would I have to register my firearm???
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 3:16:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
So my question is, what if I as a civilian had somebody sponsor me on to use the range, would I have to register my firearm???
View Quote

You would have to find someone on the base to get you a copy of the local JBLM instruction that covers firearms.
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 4:54:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Well, that's that. I guess I'll be registering only 2 or 3 of my rifles to use on the base...  Not worth getting into a pissing contest with an 18 year old MP.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top