Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/20/2015 11:07:22 AM EDT
I'm going to be hiring a senior Windows server and network administrator for an aerospace company. We're located near the Boeing plant in Everett. If you're interested, please drop me a PM. I'll be looking for someone to hit the ground running, so significant experience is a must. Also, if you have any experience with Netware it would help your case.

No promises, but I thought I would let people here know first.
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 3:45:21 PM EDT
[#1]
PM sent
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 4:14:47 PM EDT
[#2]
More information:

I am going to be interviewing for a full-time, day shift server administrator (9/80 schedule, with every other Friday off). The position includes primary responsibility for a few dozen (<100) physical and VMware virtual servers, running various versions of Windows Server. Duties include installation, updates, monitoring, backup and recovery, Active Directory domain administration and management of infrastructure services (e.g. DNS, DHCP, VPN, spoolers, etc.). We do have a small number of Novell Netware servers to manage, but it's trivial.

In addition to the Windows servers, there are secondary management tasks in network administration (principally Cisco), although it's a pretty simple topology. Tier three desk-side issues will also get escalated to this role. Depending on skills and interests, there may be occasional opportunities in VB6, .Net, PHP and SQL development.

The employee will be expected to work off-schedule hours as required to perform maintenance outside of the production work day, but not often. There are also on-call expectations but most issues can be handled over VPN. That said, this position is not a candidate for telecommuting.

WARNING: Some of the company used to be located in the Wallingford / Freakmont area and there are deep pools of liberal "thinking" that you may stumble into on occasion.

Much of the company is our large machine shop and electronics assembly area. The rest is engineering, finance and the usual general admin functions.

The salary and benefits are pretty good.

Link Posted: 4/25/2015 1:51:59 PM EDT
[#3]
PM sent

PM sent to the correct person.

Link Posted: 5/6/2015 6:44:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Wow...Netware. Just curious, what versions?
I was a CNE back in the day doing Netware ELS all the way threw 5.x, but then "the assimilation" was complete, and I didn't know anyone still had any of those servers in operation.
Neat. Kind of like taking a Mauser C-96 Broomhandle into combat. Still works, marvelous, innovative design, but much better newer solutions out there.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 6:54:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Networking is coming full circle again.  Novell had named networks, while IP implies network numbers with a subnet mask.  With virtualization and SDN, we will be returning to named logical networks since they are all variations of overlays on top of an IP transport......
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 5:00:42 PM EDT
[#6]
FINALLY - movement on the job posting!  

Job description, company information and directions on applying are available here:

Link Posted: 5/28/2015 10:17:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Wow...Netware. Just curious, what versions?
I was a CNE back in the day doing Netware ELS all the way threw 5.x, but then "the assimilation" was complete, and I didn't know anyone still had any of those servers in operation.
Neat. Kind of like taking a Mauser C-96 Broomhandle into combat. Still works, marvelous, innovative design, but much better newer solutions out there.
View Quote

Interesting.

I remember doing netware to NT4 conversions by the truckload... Had NO idea that netware was still in existence, let alone in use!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top