Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/18/2015 2:57:57 PM EDT
what is a manufacture?

I have an MP5 clone and the stock goes on with a pin, does this count a  manufacture? seems simple but nothing with ATF is ever 100% clear.

If this has been asked ad nauseum I apologize, I went to a public school so big words and concepts are difficult for me, unless it involves climate change and social justice

Link Posted: 4/18/2015 5:05:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Not sure I understand your question.

But it you are asking if it is "manufacturing" an SBR to add a stock to a short-barreled MP5, the answer is yes.

Just like when you add a short barrel upper to a complete AR15 lower receiver (with stock), you are MANUFACTURING a short barreled rifle.

The AR parts attach with just pins too.  It doesn't matter.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 6:35:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Just be sure to get your tax stamp before you run around in public with a stock on it unless you like breaking the law, no matter how stupid the law.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 6:39:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Keep in mind there may be a legal difference between "make" and "manufacture".  The ATF form 1 is to "make" a firearm.  State law is somewhat up in the air as to "manufacture" for a SBR and doesn't define the term "manufacture".  ATF has been approving Form 1's for this state.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 10:28:10 AM EDT
[#4]
If you add a stock to a MP5 pistol you are "making" a SBR and need to have filed an ATF Form 1, have it approved and then engrave your "maker" info (as approved on the Form 1) on the firearm before you can run around with it.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 2:08:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the info
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top