Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/28/2015 12:52:17 AM EDT

Looking to have a pin/weld job done to 16 inches for legal, anybody in Central Wa. ?

Thanks in advance!

Fastfoot
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 7:02:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Unless I'm incorrect, the weld/pin has to be done so that simple tools like only a wrench won't remove it.  To that end, I believe that silver solder will work just as well, and that is something you can do.  Welds can be ground off, pins can be driven out, and silver solder can be removed ,but the point is that welds, pins, silver solder all require more than just a wrench to remove the extension.

I could be wrong though.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 4:16:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Send it to Rainier Arms.

100% better than the pin/weld job a competitor did for me.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 4:17:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Send it to Rainier Arms.

100% better than the pin/weld job a competitor did for me.
View Quote

This.

ETA The turnaround was impressive.  Got it back within the week.  Now I may have caught them on a slow week or something, but you can always call and ask.  They have great customer service.
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 3:02:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Unless I'm incorrect, the weld/pin has to be done so that simple tools like only a wrench won't remove it.  To that end, I believe that silver solder will work just as well, and that is something you can do.  Welds can be ground off, pins can be driven out, and silver solder can be removed ,but the point is that welds, pins, silver solder all require more than just a wrench to remove the extension.

I could be wrong though.
View Quote

You're pretty correct, but the silver solder they specify isn't what most people think of. The ATF specifies a melting point of 1150 degrees (might be a little off on that, but it's close) and I wouldn't want to subject the end of my barrel to that much heat. I don't like the full, half, or even the 4 equidistant tack welds that are allowed. I'd rather a hole, a steel pin, and a quick TIG weld.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top