Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/24/2015 6:04:58 PM EDT
Hello,  I hope the members of this board can help me out.  I was planning on selling my AR-15 to my brother in law that lives in Seattle.  I live in Illinois.  Are there any Washington laws that would prevent this transfer?  Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 6:41:15 PM EDT
[#1]
It would have to go through an FFL regardless, since you're in IL. He would be unaffected by the new transfer laws.

If you need clarification on any of these terms or the process to follow, we can help with that as well.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 8:36:01 PM EDT
[#2]
So basically he is here in IL and will be driving to Seattle.  Can I just sell it to him, record the sale and have him drive it home?
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 8:43:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Not legally, if he's a Washington resident. You would need to ship the rifle to a Washington FFL and have them do the transfer to him once he gets back here.

I don't know what the IL/FOID implications would be of just giving him the rifle to bring home.. It is against Federal law, though.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 8:46:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Ok.  I definitely don't want to be breaking any laws ha.  I appreciate the response.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 12:13:37 AM EDT
[#5]
If the sale is ok under your local laws, I-594 does not prohibit your brother from making the purchase.

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=9.41.122
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 2:44:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If the sale is ok under your local laws, I-594 does not prohibit your brother from making the purchase.

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=9.41.122
View Quote

No, federal law does, if OP's brother is a WA resident. Let's not confuse the issue.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 6:46:54 PM EDT
[#7]
It's a long gun, not a handgun. So he can have the transfer done at a local ffl.
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 8:14:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Easy.  FFL to FFL.
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 2:58:14 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's a long gun, not a handgun. So he can have the transfer done at a local ffl.
View Quote

This would be true... BUT it's in Illinois. They have some goofy laws there that might prohibit it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top