Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/18/2015 10:05:27 AM EDT
I want to do a little solo camping this April in the northwest Olympic national forest.

Am I going to be eaten by a bear? I know to keep food something like 100 feet away along with any smelly foods. But should I be afraid of Bears waking from hibernation?
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 10:08:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Bear proof container for food and you're good. Black bears are more afraid of you than you are of them.  Mountain goats are your enemy.  

Also, the bears are already awake.
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 10:17:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Bear proof container for food and you're good. Black bears are more afraid of you than you are of them. Mountain goats are your enemy.  

Also, the bears are already awake.
View Quote

Don't pee on the trail or near Your campsite.
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 6:12:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Sadly WA does not recognize TX CHL's, but we do have open carry here.  So you could carry a sidearm with you while hiking, just make sure it is "visible".

Link Posted: 3/18/2015 9:35:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Bring 200' of para cord ane a 20' x 20' tarp
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 7:20:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Sadly WA does not recognize TX CHL's, but we do have open carry here.  So you could carry a sidearm with you while hiking, just make sure it is "visible".

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

You can carry concealed if you wish as well; no license required.

The provisions of RCW 9.41.050 shall not apply to:

(8) Any person engaging in a lawful outdoor recreational activity such as hunting, fishing, camping, hiking, or horseback riding, only if, considering all of the attendant circumstances, including but not limited to whether the person has a valid hunting or fishing license, it is reasonable to conclude that the person is participating in lawful outdoor activities or is traveling to or from a legitimate outdoor recreation area;
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 9:04:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Watch out for Bigfoot
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 12:15:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Given the weather we've been having there will be a shitload of mosquitoes, bring your spray.

The cougar population is also exploding in that region. If you go far inland don't be surprised to find cougar prints shadowing yours if you backtrack on your trail.
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 11:05:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Yep, just like polo bears.
Can't throw a stick with out hitting one
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 2:05:00 PM EDT
[#9]
I know where I am going. Short march but I am going to stay for 2 nights. Will be staying in the national forest and out of the national park. It's up high and I know it will be freezing like the last two times so I am loading up like I am going to mt. Everest. Will be bringing more than a concealed gun too. I know big cats are badass. But bears are what really scares me more than anything. Texas has goats and cats. I just don't think there is a single thing I could do against a charging bear. Thanks for the info guys.

Wifey will be on the Stennis for 6 weeks and I just want to get away.
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 5:22:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

(8) Any person engaging in a lawful outdoor recreational activity such as hunting, fishing, camping, hiking, or horseback riding, only if, considering all of the attendant circumstances, including but not limited to whether the person has a valid hunting or fishing license, it is reasonable to conclude that the person is participating in lawful outdoor activities or is traveling to or from a legitimate outdoor recreation area;

True, but only applicable to the National Forest areas, not the National Park areas. But OP is staying out of the NP, so good to go.  Same applies for OC, not in the NP.
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 9:49:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

True, but only applicable to the National Forest areas, not the National Park areas. But OP is staying out of the NP, so good to go.  Same applies for OC, not in the NP.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Rumor?  Can you provide a cite?

The carry that's lawful in the state where the park is located is lawful in the Park.  So open carry- LEGAL.  Concealed carry with a CPL or recognized out of state permit- LEGAL.  Concealed carry without a license under the provisions of RCW above- LEGAL.
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 11:13:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Rumor?  Can you provide a cite?

The carry that's lawful in the state where the park is located is lawful in the Park.  So open carry- LEGAL.  Concealed carry with a CPL or recognized out of state permit- LEGAL.  Concealed carry without a license under the provisions of RCW above- LEGAL.
View Quote

I just looked it up at http://www.nps.gov/grca/learn/management/upload/Firearms-in-IMRparks2-2010.pdf and you are correct and I was not.  I thought that OC in the NP wasn't OK because I remembered the debate centering around CPLs and wasn't concerned with OC.

Shit, you actually CAN learn something on this site!  
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 12:29:26 AM EDT
[#13]
I've run into a few bears at close quarters in the Pacific NW, and only one of them failed to run away from me as fast as it's legs could carry it. The other one seemed unafraid, but did not charge, it kept its distance while I made enough noise to let it know I was there, and I was not going to run from it like a scared rabbit. That one did make me a bit nervous, so I slowly got out of there while keeping a close eye on it. They will not normally bother you, but might be interested in your food if you are not smart about where you keep it. I am much more concerned about cougars, they have become a lot more numerous, and bold, and they are much too quiet.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 2:39:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Don't underestimate the goats. They have killed a couple of hikers in the last several years. Other than that, take good rain gear.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 2:50:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
But bears are what really scares me more than anything. Texas has goats and cats. I just don't think there is a single thing I could do against a charging bear. Thanks for the info guys.
View Quote

Every bear and wolf I have encountered around here has been far more wary of me than I of them. Honestly, I wouldn't worry about it that much. I would much rather take my chances with them than the alligators, cottonmouth snakes and rattle snakes, fire ants and all the critters that are trying to bite or sting you in Texas.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 12:23:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Every bear and wolf I have encountered around here has been far more wary of me than I of them. Honestly, I wouldn't worry about it that much. I would much rather take my chances with them than the alligators, cottonmouth snakes and rattle snakes, fire ants and all the critters that are trying to bite or sting you in Texas.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
But bears are what really scares me more than anything. Texas has goats and cats. I just don't think there is a single thing I could do against a charging bear. Thanks for the info guys.

True this.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 11:57:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Don't underestimate the goats. They have killed a couple of hikers in the last several years. Other than that, take good rain gear.
View Quote

What could a goat do to a 24 year old able bodied man. I understand plowing the fuck out of some older person and tossing them to the floor in a weird way or Down  steep cliff.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 8:50:38 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

What could a goat do to a 24 year old able bodied man. I understand plowing the fuck out of some older person and tossing them to the floor in a weird way or Down  steep cliff.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They're not little farm goats.  Imagine a pro wrestler with a pointy stick going for your crotch.

http://www.peninsuladailynews.com/article/20101017/NEWS/310179991/man-killed-by-goat-in-olympic-national-park-was-experienced-hiker
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 12:23:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
They're not little farm goats.  Imagine a pro wrestler with a pointy stick going for your crotch.

http://www.peninsuladailynews.com/article/20101017/NEWS/310179991/man-killed-by-goat-in-olympic-national-park-was-experienced-hiker
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, they can get up to 180 lbs too.  Neat looking animals, but keep your distance:
http://wdfw.wa.gov/living/mountain_goats.html
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 7:01:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Where are you going specifically?  

I've done Lake 3995 up in the Wonder Mtn Wilderness solo and it's incredible.  There are no trails into or within the Wilderness, so you need to know the way and navigate your own way there without the use of trails.  Great fishing and perfect solitude, but you're a looooooong way from anything.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top