Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/16/2015 11:14:38 PM EDT
I have rented for a house for the last 3.5 years and am getting ready to move out.  While living at the rental property the front face of the microwave broke off.  Unfortunately it's an integrated microwave built into the cabinetry, so it's not easy to replace.  This was NOT a case of abuse, it happened during routine use.

The microwave functions fine (we told the rental agency about it back when it happened a year or two ago) but looks pretty funky.  

Also, my kids put a number on the carpet in one of the bedrooms.  I have a carpet cleaner coming tomorrow but it wouldn't shock me if the management company still wants the carpet replaced.  

What are the rules in the state of WA for tenants regarding depreciation / prorating security deposits?  Obviously I'm willing to pay my fair and proper share as a responsible renter.  I'm not trying to be a weasel scumbag to the landlord/management company but I would like to know what my rights are in this process.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 11:43:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 12:06:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I have rented for a house for the last 3.5 years and am getting ready to move out.  While living at the rental property the front face of the microwave broke off.  Unfortunately it's an integrated microwave built into the cabinetry, so it's not easy to replace.  This was NOT a case of abuse, it happened during routine use.

The microwave functions fine (we told the rental agency about it back when it happened a year or two ago) but looks pretty funky.  

Also, my kids put a number on the carpet in one of the bedrooms.  I have a carpet cleaner coming tomorrow but it wouldn't shock me if the management company still wants the carpet replaced.  

What are the rules in the state of WA for tenants regarding depreciation / prorating security deposits?  Obviously I'm willing to pay my fair and proper share as a responsible renter.  I'm not trying to be a weasel scumbag to the landlord/management company but I would like to know what my rights are in this process.

Thanks!
View Quote

Depreciation applies to federal taxation, basically a way for a person or business to account for the use a capital asset over time, it's useful life.  The primary requirement is ownership of the asset.  You don't own the asset so you can't  claim depreciation.  

Stuff breaks, so if there is a maintenance issue with the property or appliances, let the landlord know immediately.  Waiting until the end is pretty much too late.  

Was there a move-in / move out checklist completed when you moved in?   That might be your only saving grace.  If you were my tenant, and I have rentals, you would likely not be getting a deposit back.  Look at your contract for the rate of hourly labor.  Mine is $50/hr.  

Communication with your landlord is key to limiting your liability.
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 12:25:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
[b]Quoted:

Depreciation applies to federal taxation, basically a way for a person or business to account for the use a capital asset over time, it's useful life.  The primary requirement is ownership of the asset.  You don't own the asset so you can't  claim depreciation.  

Stuff breaks, so if there is a maintenance issue with the property or appliances, let the landlord know immediately.  Waiting until the end is pretty much too late.

Was there a move-in / move out checklist completed when you moved in?   That might be your only saving grace.  If you were my tenant, and I have rentals, you would likely not be getting a deposit back.  Look at your contract for the rate of hourly labor.  Mine is $50/hr.  

Communication with your landlord is key to limiting your liability.
View Quote

Thanks for your input as a homeowner.  Reviewing my emails I find an email to the management company from October of 2012 referencing the broken face of the  microwave in an email.

I also see an email from August 2013 referencing the carpet.  There is essentially no transition from the wood floor in the hallway leading in to the carpet in the kids bedroom.  The carpet is fairly frayed/beat up in that area.  I noted that there was the potential for an issue back in 2013 and asked for a repair to be made.  The management company stated that they would contact the homeowner but I never heard anything else.  Predictably, the carpet is frayed at the entrance into the room and is a sticking point now on moveout.  There are also some soils in the carpet, but I believe they will come out with a professional steam cleaning.

Again, I'm not trying to screw over the property owner but I did my part in notifying the management company early about issues and am trying to determine what is a fair portion of repairs to pay for.
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 12:26:42 AM EDT
[#4]

Thanks for the link.  I looked around but didn't see anything that specifically addressed my issue.
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 8:51:41 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Thanks for the link.  I looked around but didn't see anything that specifically addressed my issue.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Probably, because there isn't one for your specific issue.  My experience as a renter in the past, pretty much gives the landlord the final say.  Even with notifications to the management company, it can be a complete pain if they decide to play hardball with your deposit.  If you feel that they are wrong in taking all or part of your deposit, your only course of action might be a civil claim.  Which would likely cost you more than the deposit.

I have had landlords that took everything in the past, and came up with a detailed list why they did so.  Even if most of it was petty, chicken shit stuff.  I have had landlords who based their deposit return on how long I had been in the unit.  (At five years, they didn't bother with dinging me for carpet cleaning.  They just replaced it.)  My last rental was for a year, and I got the entire deposit back, less the carpet cleaning fee and key change fee, which was spelled out in the rental agreement.

Link Posted: 2/17/2015 12:43:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Sounds like the level of communication was good.  Again, your best bet is the move-in/move-out inspection form.  Best of luck.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top