Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/13/2015 4:33:19 PM EDT
As it says it looks about 99% certain that the wife and I are getting transfered to somewhere around tacoma.  We will be looking for houses somewhere between West tacoma and Port Orchard and probably moving in about 5 weeks.  A few questions for everyone

1. Anyone know a really good realtor or names of realtors I should avoid (my wife can be a bit picky at times)
2. Any areas I should be looking at or looking to stay away from? (i'll be working in Bremerton and the wife will probably be looking in either Tacoma or Federal Way)
3.  Anyone know of Senior accountant or internal auditor positions open working for a good company
4.  I enjoy IDPA, 3 gun etc.  Any matches close to that area on a regular basis?
5. I'm coming from nevada, anything that I should bring with me that may be hard to get my hands on up there? (powder magazines etc)
6. Any other general information I should know besides it rains more there than it does here?

Thanks all in advance.  This is all kind of happening last minute so trying to get as much info as possible.
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 7:46:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
As it says it looks about 99% certain that the wife and I are getting transfered to somewhere around tacoma.  We will be looking for houses somewhere between West tacoma and Port Orchard and probably moving in about 5 weeks.  A few questions for everyone

1. Anyone know a really good realtor or names of realtors I should avoid (omy wife can be a bit picky at times)
Contact MountedMedic here in the HTF forums, IM me if you can't get ahold of him. He's an ARFCOMMER, a friend, and a damn good realtor here in the Tacoma area.

2. Any areas I should be looking at or looking to stay away from? (i'll be working in Bremerton and the wife will probably be looking in either Tacoma or Federal Way)
University place is real nice, great school system and low crime. Avoid most of lakewood and Spanaway, parts of Tacoma are sketchy too

3.  Anyone know of Senior accountant or internal auditor positions open working for a good company
4.  I enjoy IDPA, 3 gun etc.  Any matches close to that area on a regular basis?
I've heard there are some but have never gone

5. I'm coming from nevada, anything that I should bring with me that may be hard to get my hands on up there? (powder magazines etc)
6. Any other general information I should know besides it rains more there than it does here?
There is great fishing, clamming, deer, elk, bear and water fowl hunting here, plus cabellas, bass pro shops, and quite a few gun shops all around.

Thanks all in advance.  This is all kind of happening last minute so trying to get as much info as possible.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/14/2015 1:00:21 AM EDT
[#2]
If you're working in Bremerton and the wife in Tacoma, I would suggest looking at places anywhere between Bremerton and Tacoma, close to access to Hwy 16. The traffic on Hwy 16 on the entire stretch from Bremerton to Tacoma is virtually nonexistant, with the only real jams being in morning/evening for about an hour when PSNS (I assume you're transferring there) day starts and ends. The jam is only a pretty small area around Bremerton itself. Once you cross the Tacoma Narrows bridge, everything goes south IMO.

I believe Kitsap Rifle & Revolver Club is the local IDPA/3-gun range. Personally I don't go there, but it's an excellent range. I prefer Poulsbo Sportsmans Club as its a bit more laid back for bench rested plinking.

I doubt there's anything you can find in Nevada that you couldn't get here. My only suggestion would be to sell any guns you want to get rid of BEFORE you move, since we are now saddled with retarded UBC requirements on private sales thanks to the passage of I-594. Other than that, basically anything goes guns-wise in WA, except for SBS and MGs.
Link Posted: 2/14/2015 1:08:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Welcome StreetDoc!

This is a great area with a lot to see and do!

I'll message you my contact info, I would be happy to help you find a great home!

Thanks 2T2_Crash for the referral/ reference!
Link Posted: 2/14/2015 2:22:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Welcome StreetDoc!

This is a great area with a lot to see and do!

I'll message you my contact info, I would be happy to help you find a great home!

Thanks 2T2_Crash for the referral/ reference!
View Quote

No problem... My fee is 30%
Link Posted: 2/14/2015 4:43:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Like was said before crossing the bridge changes a lot of things.  I would look in the Gig Harbor area and better yet just across the county line into Kitsap.  You'll avoid a lot of vehicle and property taxes/emission testing while being close to amenities.  I'm building houses on Peacock hill right now.  None of mine will be ready in 5 weeks, they are custom pre-sales anyway, but there is lots of building going on around there.  My fiance manages a retirement community in Gig Harbor and is involved in Rotary.  I'll have her ask around for accounting jobs, I know there's a tax lawyer in the group.
Link Posted: 2/15/2015 12:32:32 AM EDT
[#6]
I agree that if you're working in Bremerton and the wife in Tacoma that you should look somewhere between the two like Gig Harbor or Port Orchard.  I wouldn't want to commute from Fed Way to Bremerton.  I live in Gig Harbor and work in Tacoma.  Living close to 16 is a great idea and can really help with the commute.  My commute is 25 minutes and half of that is to get from my home to 16.  That said, I love where I live and I'm happy with that commute.  I know people who live farther away but can get to Tacoma faster because they live close to 16.
Link Posted: 2/15/2015 4:04:30 AM EDT
[#7]
You really don't want to live in Bremerton or Tacoma. Everything in between is great.

Or move north of Bremerton and have your wife look for work across the sound and deal with the ferry's for commuting. Have a friend that lives in Seabeck and does the walk on, she's fortunate to live within walking distance to the ferry dock in Seattle.
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 2:59:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Well It's official i'm on my way.  Should be up there sometime around the end of March.  So what all do I need to know about the area or anything in general?
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 1:47:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Well It's official i'm on my way.  Should be up there sometime around the end of March.  So what all do I need to know about the area or anything in general?
View Quote

It's beautiful here. For one.

Traveling on I5 can suck if you are heading north or south during rush hour, south towards JBLM north to Seattle.
It's pretty chill here, I really like it (CA native).

IM sent.
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 1:30:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Hopefully limited time on I-5.  We are looking in gig harbor or port orchard or somewhere in between for a home and the wife is trying ot work in either tacoma or federal way but she is still looking.  She needs either a senior accountant or a internal auditor position.  hopefully the drive for her shouldn't be any longer than 40 minutes depending on where we find a house.  Super excited about the move up to that area.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top