Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/17/2015 5:10:55 AM EDT
Reposting this from the Armory for wide visibility. If you have a SIG brace that you use to work around the SBR requirements, that is no longer legal in the eyes of the ATF if you shoulder it

Armory post

It was always just a matter of time...
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 7:20:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Wow, glad i spent $200 on the stamps vs $140 on the braces.. haha
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 1:55:37 PM EDT
[#2]
So do you plan on turning yourself in to the popo anytime soon?
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 2:25:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Well "Duh" is the only thing I can say info far as the stupid brace.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 4:43:56 PM EDT
[#4]
yep, these are gonna be about as desirable as Saiga 12 factory stocks here pretty soon. Sub-$20 in a matter of weeks I would guess. If you only have one arm, this is the greatest development ever.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 11:37:20 PM EDT
[#5]
$20 for a new Sig brace?  Where do I buy one?  

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 2:22:55 AM EDT
[#6]
All you'll need is patients. Word is still getting out and prices definitely haven't hit rock bottom yet...
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 2:25:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
All you'll need is patients. Word is still getting out and prices definitely haven't hit rock bottom yet...
View Quote

Are you a doctor?
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 2:33:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
$20 for a new Sig brace?  Where do I buy one?  

View Quote

This
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 3:34:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Are you a doctor?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are you a doctor?

yes.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 5:29:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

This has been my argument all along for us here in WA state.  $140 for the brace and then most people also spent $40-80 on specific arm brace buffer tubes (Odin, KAK, etc).  It just doesn't make sense.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 11:01:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

This has been my argument all along for us here in WA state.  $140 for the brace and then most people also spent $40-80 on specific arm brace buffer tubes (Odin, KAK, etc).  It just doesn't make sense.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It does if you do not want to have a registered gun and also do not want to keep big brother posted about all the whereabouts of said gun.    

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:17:03 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

It does if you do not want to have a registered gun and also do not want to keep big brother posted about all the whereabouts of said gun.    

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

and it allows you  have it loaded while in your vehicle.  You can't have a loaded rifle in a car......
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 11:58:35 AM EDT
[#13]
Sig is fighting back, there's a thread in GD about it.
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 3:31:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

The reasoning by the ATF puts them in a tight spot, as they've effectively said that it is either a design element or a usage element that determines the classification.  What else could one argue should have the standard applied to?

ATF Logic:
Sig brace equipped AR:  When used as designed, it's a pistol, but when used alternatively as a stock, it's an SBR

ATF in a bind:
Short barrel AR with a buttstock;  when used as a designed, it is a short barrel rifle.  But what if you never actually "shoulder" it, and shoot it exclusively as a pistol?  Isn't it then just a pistol and not subject to NFA?

Also, a friend pointed out rather interesting language in the our RCWs.  This isn't an I-594 change, which has introduced all kinds of conflicting definitions and requirements, but something that has existed for awhile.  The RCW in question is RCW 9.41.010, Terms Defined under section 18:
(18) "Pistol" means any firearm with a barrel less than sixteen inches in length, or is designed to be held and fired by the use of a single hand.

It says that ANY "firearm" with a barrel less than 16" (i.e. an SBR), OR, and that's a very big and distinct OR, designed to be fired by the use of one hand.  

So the characteristics of an SBR fit this particular state law's definition of a "pistol", and as a "Concealed PISTOL License" allows for the concealed carry of "pistols", it stands to follow that carrying a concealed SBR is indeed legal, and also legal while carried loaded in a vehicle.

But consult a lawyer, because I'm not a lawyer, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn last night....
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 4:58:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

did some quick searching and wasn't able to locate it can you point me in the right direction pls? :)
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 5:18:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not if I wanted to take my M92 to Oregon when visiting family, unless I ask permission from the ATF first.

Also the aforementioned refusal to be entered into a formal national firearms registry, though like many I suspect 4473 records are conveniently stored somewhere in DC.
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 6:05:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

did some quick searching and wasn't able to locate it can you point me in the right direction pls? :)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1709919_Looks_like_Sig_is_going_to_take_action_on_the_pistol_brace_opinion_letter.html
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 1:25:06 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Might be because of the difference between "walk in, pay $140 cash, walk out" vs "where do I start this process, obtain paperwork, what is involved, who all do I need to go to, etc?"

Link Posted: 1/26/2015 2:47:15 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
The reasoning by the ATF puts them in a tight spot, as they've effectively said that it is either a design element or a usage element that determines the classification.  What else could one argue should have the standard applied to?

ATF Logic:

Sig brace equipped AR:  When used as designed, it's a pistol, but when used alternatively as a stock, it's an SBR

ATF in a bind:

Short barrel AR with a buttstock;  when used as a designed, it is a short barrel rifle.  But what if you never actually "shoulder" it, and shoot it exclusively as a pistol?  Isn't it then just a pistol and not subject to NFA?

Also, a friend pointed out rather interesting language in the our RCWs.  This isn't an I-594 change, which has introduced all kinds of conflicting definitions and requirements, but something that has existed for awhile.  The RCW in question is RCW 9.41.010, Terms Defined under section 18:

It says that ANY "firearm" with a barrel less than 16" (i.e. an SBR), OR, and that's a very big and distinct OR, designed to be fired by the use of one hand.  

So the characteristics of an SBR fit this particular state law's definition of a "pistol", and as a "Concealed PISTOL License" allows for the concealed carry of "pistols", it stands to follow that carrying a concealed SBR is indeed legal, and also legal while carried loaded in a vehicle.

But consult a lawyer, because I'm not a lawyer, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn last night....

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

ATF Logic:

ATF in a bind:

(18) "Pistol" means any firearm with a barrel less than sixteen inches in length, or is designed to be held and fired by the use of a single hand.

Sounds like an artifact of the old No-SBR world, that wasn't changed when the SBR legalization thing went through...

And since state law classification (not federal) is what matters for CCW issues... Interesting results WRT car & concealed use, unless they specified 'no carry' in the SBR bill'...

Hmm...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top