Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/13/2014 1:48:08 AM EDT
My mother in Law wants to get a pistol for concealed carry so she came to me for advice. She likes our S&W ?380, but found the slide a bit hard to pull.

Are there any local concealed carry/beginner pistol classes that have good reputation?

Thanks to this fucking law I can't just take her and let her use mine to see how she likes it.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 7:04:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Nobody?
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 7:42:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Gig Harbor does a ladies night every once in a while.  I checked the calender and didn't see any coming up though.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 9:32:50 PM EDT
[#3]
My wife took classes at The Marksman and enjoyed herself.  Are they the best?  I don't know, but I think she learned a lot from it.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 2:06:27 PM EDT
[#4]
I would offer to teach (NRA Certified for Basic Pistol) but I would be in the same boat as you, right? I can't let anyone else use my firearms for instruction or any other purpose. I just moved back to Washington and don't understand all of the impact of I594, so if I'm wrong in that statement, someone correct me.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 2:48:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Too soon for most people to know how 594 really works. I suspect taking a beginner class at any range local to her will work, as all their rental guns are exempted from 594.

I'm fairly sure the meaning of the range exemption is that no background check is required while at a range and the transfer ends before leaving the range. The other reading of it, that the gun may never ever leave is silly because guns aren't manufactured there, so it would be a meaningless clause.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 2:55:32 PM EDT
[#6]
this fucking law is so shittily written

Link Posted: 12/16/2014 11:22:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Capitol City Rifle & Pistol Club in Littlerock (south of Olympia) has a beginner pistol training class on the 1st Saturday of every month.  Go to www.ccrpclub.org

I read through all of the 594, and the way I read it, a temporary transfer at a gun range did not need a background check as long as the gun was transferred back to the owner before leaving the range.  --  I'm not a lawyer, just know how to read...
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 12:48:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Kitsap Rifle and Revolver Club holds a beginner oriented class once a month.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 1:49:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Slides that are hard to pull:

Have her push out with her firing side hand, while she is pulling back with her support hand.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top