Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/18/2014 3:23:35 PM EDT
So I found out today that i'm being considered for a position in Washington.  I would probably be living in the Arlington or mount vernon area.  Anything I need to know or should consider about the area?  If selected I would be moving from northern nevada.  Thanks in advance all.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 4:16:26 PM EDT
[#1]
My girlfriend is from Arlington. It's about 40 min north of Seattle and is pretty rural. Definitely conservative compared to Seattle
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 4:22:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Watch out for Canadians..... they like the outlet malls up there
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 4:30:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Everyone likes to complain but Washington is really a good place to live. Especially on the Wet side, there are lots of opportunities and interesting things to do. Here on the Eastern/dry side the opportunities are a little less common but the scenery and lower cost of living helps. Plus we can now have suppressors and SBRs.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 5:44:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Not a bad place to be, it'll feel like a big city coming from N. Nv but at least the winters will be super mild!

The list of things to do and see in a 1 hour travel time are staggering...  roll that out to 2-3 hours and it's absurd.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 6:55:42 PM EDT
[#5]
The further you get from Seattle the more conservative the people get, granted you still get those little islands of kooks every once in a while. I'm also looking to move up to Arlington/mount Vernon area, just put in an offer on a house yesterday. It wont be as far as a move as you though, I'm only looking to move an hour away.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 8:25:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Where will you be be working? The commutes here can be hell.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 9:39:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Several very good micro-brewery's in the area.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 10:40:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Traffic can be a little rough, you damn right it's bad here. You wont find more beautiful scenery and the weather is mild. I live in Marysville and it's gotten a lot bigger.
We have the best coffee, beer and wine you will find anywhere.
Find a place with a nice lot, stay away from the "cookie cutter" new construction areas.
Yes, you will find that AC is nice to have here.
Seattle is OK to visit but I don't go there much anymore, its nice up north.
The best motorcycling you will ever have is right here too.
Theres only a few ranges to shoot but you will love it here.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 3:36:53 PM EDT
[#9]
I would be working at one of the military bases about 30 minutes north of arlington area so I should be going the opposite direction of the seattle traffic.  My wife is a accountant and auditor who has worked in the wine industry, healthcare and public utilities so she will probably be looking near everett or seattle.  It's all dependent on if I get the offer or not still but I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 3:39:00 PM EDT
[#10]
as a side note I enjoy competition shooting most weekends down here.  IDPA, 3 gun and USPSA.  Im assuming there are matches up there but I nkow the amount varies greatly from area to area.  What is the competition shooting like in the area?
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 3:52:30 PM EDT
[#11]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

as a side note I enjoy competition shooting most weekends down here.  IDPA, 3 gun and USPSA.  Im assuming there are matches up there but I nkow the amount varies greatly from area to area.  What is the competition shooting like in the area?
View Quote
You'd be close to some of the ranges that throw on matches.  Be a long haul to matches south of Seattle, but prime location for the Northern matches.    

There's IDPA, USPSA, Cowboy, 3 gun.   Precision Rifle matches are a thing too, and look fun as hell.

Link Posted: 11/19/2014 4:07:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Try not to get into a car wreck with any of the Canadians, since their cars will likely be filled with multiple 5gal gas cans as they head back to the border.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 4:20:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Try not to get into a car wreck with any of the Canadians, since their cars will likely be filled with multiple 5gal gas cans as they head back to the border.
View Quote

Nah, they are usually loaded up with milk.

True story!
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 4:25:40 PM EDT
[#14]
The real problem with running into one is you will end up married... I did
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 8:14:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

True story!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

True story!

I went on vacation in canada once.  I never understood the milk in a bag thing.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 8:15:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
You'd be close to some of the ranges that throw on matches.  Be a long haul to matches south of Seattle, but prime location for the Northern matches.    

There's IDPA, USPSA, Cowboy, 3 gun.   Precision Rifle matches are a thing too, and look fun as hell.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

that's what I like to hear. The precision rifle always sounded fun but I don't have the rife for them.  Then again I don't have the precision for them either
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 8:38:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Yea my friend Anette is big into PR...  her set up is absurd...  

It SEEMS like a good .308 with decent glass could at least hang.  I'd have to look into it more.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 12:41:13 AM EDT
[#18]
I didn't know they had pr up north, I knew they had a 600 yard rifle match in eastonville way down south from me that I have been wanting to shoot, but a 2 hour drive is hard to do.

How many yards is the one up north?
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 1:53:13 AM EDT
[#19]
I meant more in Wa in general for PR I guess, sorry for the confusion.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 12:34:58 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

View Quote
Try not to get in a accident with the Canadian's, because their fucking insurance claims people (Insurance Corporation of British Columbia) WILL NOT pick up the phone.

They will however, send some poor adjuster from Burlington to Seattle in the middle of a weekday to look at your junk, and he'll be so pissed off at the experience that he'll give you $4000 for your completely clapped out 1979 Malibu station wagon.

Good times.

In general, Washington is great except when it isn't...
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 1:27:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Both are a good place to live, very scenic, mild but wet winters, mild but damp Spring with less rain than Winter, perfect (but often too cool) Summers, perfect 80% -90% dry Fall in Sept/Oct, plenty of places to shoot, unlimited places to hike (it would take a lot of years maybe a lifetime).
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 10:57:29 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Both are a good place to live, very scenic, mild but wet winters, mild but damp Spring with less rain than Winter, perfect (but often too cool) Summers, perfect 80% -90% dry Fall in Sept/Oct, plenty of places to shoot, unlimited places to hike (it would take a lot of years maybe a lifetime).
View Quote

Sounds perfect.  I am supposed to hear something by next monday so fingers crossed.  I found out that i'm up against someone who has done the job for a really long time in another part of the country so hopes aren't too high but still hoping.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 4:22:22 PM EDT
[#23]
I lived in Arlington for 10yrs before moving to Marysville a few years ago.

There is still very affordable housing in this area compared to hippy libtard Seattle where $300K gets you a tear down ( maybe ) or a garden shed on a small lot.

Rents are $1000 for your average 2br 2 bath apt.

$1500 mo gets an OK 3br house rental

Home prices are $250K gets a 2000sf starter home in a decent area ( used home - 10yrs old )

$300-350K gets you 2500sf and much nicer digs anywhere in the area.

Arlington has pretty nice / new schools systems there ( 11yrs of my property tax paid for them - no kids here )

You also want to consider: lake Stevens Marysville Stanwood Mount Vernon etc .... as you go north of Arlington, your $ gets more house
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 5:12:50 PM EDT
[#24]
If his potential transfer is to Whidbey NAS, I would also suggest considering somewhere north Mt Vernon, maybe the Bow/Edison area, with an eye towards his wife working in the MVB or Bellingham areas.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 9:37:58 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Sounds perfect.  I am supposed to hear something by next monday so fingers crossed.  I found out that i'm up against someone who has done the job for a really long time in another part of the country so hopes aren't too high but still hoping.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Post an update if you get the job.
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 3:47:24 PM EDT
[#26]
They said I would be notified within 2 weeks and today is two weeks.  I'll know for sure one way or the other by tonight.
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 3:54:55 PM EDT
[#27]
Looks like I didn't make the final cut this time around but there is always next time.  Thanks for all the info and hopefully i'll get up that way soon.
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 1:09:29 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

I would be working at one of the military bases about 30 minutes north of arlington area
View Quote

The only military bases north of Arlington are NAS Whidbey Island and the two Coast Guard bases in Bellingham, both of those are more than 30 minutes from Arlington.

South would be Naval Station Everett, that's a half hour drive.

Medical, half hour north, then the VA clinic in Mt Vernon, but that's not a base.

Traffic would suck going to Everett or Whidbey.

Traffic would not be that bad going to Mt. Vernon until you got into Mt Vernon.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top