Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/14/2014 1:55:56 PM EDT
Found this place in Lacey/Olympia..great job and very reasonable
engraving
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 2:34:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Do you know of any farther north near Mt. Vernon?
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 7:23:14 PM EDT
[#2]
I do this in Auburn. 253-293-2164

Trevor Kosterman
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 1:07:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Trevor, I need my iPhone case engraved. Aluminum. Kan do?  253-632-5643
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 3:46:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Absolutely! Shoot me a text and let's talk
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 2:41:00 PM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Do you know of any farther north near Mt. Vernon?
View Quote
I've asked the majority of the gun shops in Skagit and Whatcom county looking for an engraver and didn't have much luck.  I ended up going down to Trevor in Auburn instead.

Link Posted: 11/15/2014 8:41:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the info, looks like I'm going to auburn
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 7:22:37 PM EDT
[#7]
OP, did you happen to ask the folks at this shop if the laser engraving process they use meets the ATF minimum depth requirement for engraving an SBR? I believe it's .003" and a lot of people say laser engravers won't do the trick.
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 8:36:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
OP, did you happen to ask the folks at this shop if the laser engraving process they use meets the ATF minimum depth requirement for engraving an SBR? I believe it's .003" and a lot of people say laser engravers won't do the trick.
View Quote

Laser is programmable in strength which controls the depth of the engraving.  It can go all the way through the alum if you so wanted.  The ATF depth is not an issue.
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 8:48:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Its not so much an issue of power as it is one of beam generation technology. Most shops that have lasers have Co2 machines. They will engrave anything but metal (leather, rubber, wood, composite, glass). On metal, they can peel coatings that's about it. YAG or Fiber YAG lasers are designed for engraving metal. I use all three. The alum and steel engraving I do is typically .008 thru .012 deep. I can also aloxide (alumablack) black alum lowers.

Trevor K
253-293-2164
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 9:43:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Laser is programmable in strength which controls the depth of the engraving.  It can go all the way through the alum if you so wanted.  The ATF depth is not an issue.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That depends on the specific engraver. Some will go deep enough but many won't be able to.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 4:00:27 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Its not so much an issue of power as it is one of beam generation technology. Most shops that have lasers have Co2 machines. They will engrave anything but metal (leather, rubber, wood, composite, glass). On metal, they can peel coatings that's about it. YAG or Fiber YAG lasers are designed for engraving metal. I use all three. The alum and steel engraving I do is typically .008 thru .012 deep. I can also aloxide (alumablack) black alum lowers.

Trevor K
253-293-2164
View Quote

Trevor engraved a trigger pack and mp5 for me, he's who I'll use for all my customer conversions and post sample engraving.

Marcus
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 3:32:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for the information!  However, the question remains: is the engraving setup used by the shop in the OP's post capable of acheiving the depth of cut required?  I live in Olympia, so a drive across town is preferable to a drive to points north.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 5:42:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Call and ask what kind of laser they use. That will tell you everything. If its a Co2, it WILL NOT engrave into metal. I use the term engrave to mean subsurface marking. It will do a surface "etching", basically peeling away the coating. If they say Yag or Fiber, you should be golden.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 7:54:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Well, the shop wrote me back today. They aren't able to do laser engraving that meets the minimum depth requirement. I guess they're working on getting the equipment to do the more substantial cuts. I suppose a trip north won't be so bad.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 11:42:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Trevor,

I'm going to give you a call tomorrow.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 1:45:26 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Trevor K
253-293-2164
View Quote

how close of a color match is your aloxide (black)  to the black colt finish ?
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 11:05:44 AM EDT
[#17]
Fairly. I can engrave some scrap aluminum and aloxide it for you if you'd like, before you make the aloxide no aloxide call.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 3:00:47 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Absolutely! Shoot me a text and let's talk
View Quote
Trevor -

You're good on titanium, right?  Looks like my F1 suppressor is going to be titanium instead of stainless.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 3:59:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 9:51:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Anyone know a decent place on the Eastside?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top