Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/22/2014 5:58:46 PM EDT
i have read the posts here and on other sites about Wa.'s sbr laws and to tell the truth..i'm not getting it. Can i travel to oregon,buy a "pistol" Kriss. have fun shooting it as a pistol, efile a form 1, (how ever you do that)..get tax stamp back,then buy a buttstock  for pistol Kriss,turning it into a SBR?
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 6:02:46 PM EDT
[#1]
The order is more like:

1. Buy Kriss in WA.
2. Submit form 1 to SBR gun
3. Receive stamp
4. Convert pistol to SBR
5. Engrave SBR
6. go shootin' with a big ol' grin on your face!  

Between steps 3 and 4 some people are exercising an abundance of caution and are submitting a 5320.20 and, once approved, taking the gun to Oregon, Idaho or whatever and making the SBR there.

So for the better-safe-than-sorry crowd, it'd look like this:

1. Buy Kriss in WA.
3. Receive stamp
4. Submitted 5320.20
5. Receive approved 5320.20
6. Travel to destination on the 5320.20, convert pistol to SBR, drive back home.
7. Engrave SBR
8. go shootin' with a big ol' grin on your face!  
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 7:38:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Can't buy a pistol in a state other than your state of residence, unless you have it transferred through an in-state dealer.  So if you find one in OR, you'd have to have the shop there ship it to your FFL up here.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 5:09:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

So for the better-safe-than-sorry crowd, it'd look like this:

1. Buy Kriss in WA.
3. Receive stamp
4. Submitted 5320.20
5. Receive approved 5320.20
6. Travel to destination on the 5320.20, convert pistol to SBR, drive back home.
7. Engrave SBR
8. go shootin' with a big ol' grin on your face!  
View Quote

So the question is what city/state do you engrave in that situation?  The location of your trust in WA or the location you converted it to SBR in OR?
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 5:15:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Can't buy a pistol in a state other than your state of residence, unless you have it transferred through an in-state dealer.  So if you find one in OR, you'd have to have the shop there ship it to your FFL up here.
View Quote

This man is correct of course.  Shipped to a WA state FFL, pay transfer fee, and WA state sales tax.  I would buy the Kriss pistol in WA state from a local FFL.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 7:45:36 PM EDT
[#5]
wow..thanks for the replys..got the kriss today in Oregon..the regular sized 16" barrel..i'll have to deal with the sbr at a later time
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 8:38:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
wow..thanks for the replys..got the kriss today in Oregon..the regular sized 16" barrel..i'll have to deal with the sbr at a later time
View Quote

Bad move.  Only way to SBR it is ship back to the factory and it's a $400+ conversion.  The pistol can be converted yourself in 15 mins and only costs $80.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 8:55:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Bad move.  Only way to SBR it is ship back to the factory and it's a $400+ conversion.  The pistol can be converted yourself in 15 mins and only costs $80.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep,
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 10:57:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
[span style='font-weight: bold;']So the question is what city/state do you engrave in that situation?  The location of your trust in WA or the location you converted it to SBR in OR?
View Quote

Black and white of the law says the city in which is was made....but some people have been told by ATF that the trust city,state should be on there. If you're the lord and master of caution, you just do both. No crime to have an 'extra' city, state engraved on your gun...and then no matter what silly interpretation of the law they try to come up with, you're untouchable.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top