Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/17/2014 11:27:29 AM EDT
Anyone having any luck during rifle season?

The weather has sucked for hunting. I've talked to quite a few people and no one has seen a thing. I haven't been hearing any shots.

Tuesday I saw a bunch of fresh tracks in an area I got a deer a few years ago, went back the next morning and sat for quite awhile and nothing.

I spend most my time in the Coyle area.  I think I need to get up higher  out past Quilcene.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 1:34:55 PM EDT
[#1]
They're out there, nearly all the pope lands in Coyle were a pumpkin patch last weekend. I have all next week off and plan on spending it around Skokomish/Olympic
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 2:05:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
They're out there, nearly all the pope lands in Coyle were a pumpkin patch last weekend. I have all next week off and plan on spending it around Skokomish/Olympic
View Quote

I never hunt weekends, too many nuts. I take vacation and hunt Monday-Friday.

I think I'm bailing on Coyle next week.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 11:43:37 PM EDT
[#3]
they screwed the regs up bad enough this year i said screw it and didnt buy a tag
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 11:25:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Ludlow/Horseshoe has sucked. The weather has been just nice enough that no deer are moving during the day.
Fresh tracks on the roads all from the night before. Hunted all day yesterday and didn't see a thing, driving home the farm fields had deer all over.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 1:51:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Western WA hunting is usually a joke, especially with the regs these days.

Had a good hunt in NE WA, unfortunately I didn't fill my tag, but I will probably hold off until the late season over here.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 4:43:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Spent all day Friday in the woods. Rain and blowing wind and I still never saw a single deer. At one point I was 3 miles behind a locked gate and still nothing. Every year it seems a little worse in the Mashell and Storm King units. I think if they would bring back the use of dogs in cougar hunting it would help a lot.

Eta... It sucks a lot when you go to a backup spot, everything feels right and 2 hours into the wait some asshole decides to test fire all 15 rounds in his new 9mm. He was about 300 yards from me. Fired his rounds, got back in his rig and left.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 6:46:48 PM EDT
[#7]

Went in above Duvall and damn near hiked to Sultan along logging roads. Saw the train running from Monroe to Sultan didn't see much sign or anything besides a feller buncher and another hunter, me and a buddy talked to him on the way out. He was a cool dude from Romania, he said he did a bunch of scouting ealier in the year and said deer were everywhere, then they sprayed the clearcuts with biosolids and he hasn't seen anything since

It was a gorgeous day, but I think I'll be heading east next year if I don't fill my tag
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 2:04:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Very slow weekend in 636 skoko... Didn't see much of anything for deer, at least last weekend had at least 4-5 doe seen in one day. Saturday (yesterday) was busier with other hunters driving around but pretty quiet today relatively. Its pouring now, getting some sleep in thr truck. maybe I'll have better luck tomorrow. Got the whole week off, possibly considering moving around again.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 3:54:50 PM EDT
[#9]
I shot a blacktail on sunday morning on the west side.  

Saturday I saw 3 or 4 bucks and about the same amount on sunday before I got mine.  They were definitely interested in the does more on sunday compared to saturday.  
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 2:18:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I shot a blacktail on sunday morning on the west side.  

Saturday I saw 3 or 4 bucks and about the same amount on sunday before I got mine.  They were definitely interested in the does more on sunday compared to saturday.  
View Quote

What unit?
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:56:17 AM EDT
[#11]
It's in the NW part of the state.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:56:22 AM EDT
[#12]
So this just happened

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 1:14:38 PM EDT
[#13]
where the hell are you guys shooting these?
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 11:52:17 PM EDT
[#14]
GMU 460

Same deer as posted above, 105lbs hanging as measured by Fischers meats

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 9:54:48 AM EDT
[#15]
Opening weekend we saw 10 doe on saturday, 19 doe on sunday. Last weekend we saw 2 doe on saturday and 1 doe on sunday. This is in vail. Normally i hear gun shots everywhere. This year i have only heard 2 shots. At the gate sunday the checker said he had seen a spike and a 2 point come through on sunday and that was it by lunchtime. I know they are out there, but finding them has been difficult this year
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 12:48:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 1:47:07 AM EDT
[#17]
There was a huge 4 point sleeping in our upper field this morning when I woke up. Some Asshole neighbor already shot him with a bow in the shoulder, poor guy walked around with an arrow hanging out of him for 2 weeks. It finally fell out so I figure he gets a pass, plus I don't shoot deer in my back yard, unless my family is hungry I go hunt in the woods like a man. People like my neighbor that hunt on 5 acres with a tree stand, game camera and bait, piss me off. There is no sport in that at all, if your family is that hungry use that money you spent on all the gear to buy half a cow. All that bitching said, I have hunted every year from age 14 and only have not gotten my deer twice, am now 38. So I am not anti hunting, I just think a person should actually hunt, unless one truly needs the meat to feed the family, killing and animal for sport is not cool with me, unless it's a gopher. Flame away, but I don't think I am wrong.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 12:58:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Well tomorrow is the last day of General season. I'm at work all this week. How did everyone do on their blacktail hunts?

Last Saturday was the day to be out, it poured and was ugly, but I saw more doe than I've ever seen in a day, even saw a tiny spike that I thought was a doe until it ran off... Sunday was dead quiet, didn't hardly see anything and that ended my general season. Still pretty happy with my week+ in the woods, saw a lot, learned a lot. I'll probably still go out in late season for a last try. Considering using a crossbow and trying to snag a doe on some private property in Sequim I have access to (Deer area 6020).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top