Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/15/2014 6:02:28 PM EDT
The I-594 section of the pamphlet is biased in favor of passing the initiative.  I wrote to the Secretary of State to see if I could talk to the people who wrote it.  A draft of my letter is below.

Secretary of State Kim Wyman,

I was reading the Voter's Pamphlet and noticed what I believe is misleading information.  In the section on Initiative 594, page 21, there is a paragraph with statements that are potentially biased in favor of passage of the initiative.  The second paragraph states;

"Certain other temporary transfers of a firearm would also not require a background check.  These include temporary transfers between spouses, and temporary transfers for use at a shooting range, in a competition or for performances.  A temporary transfer to a person under age eighteen for hunting, sporting, or education would not require a background check.  Other temporary transfers for lawful hunting also would not require a background check."

The words "temporary transfers for use at a shooting range" are misleading.  I-594 says the transfer at a shooting range is only exempt if the firearm is stored at the range at all times.  This seems to be aimed at ranges which provide guns (rentals) to paying customers.  It does not exempt two friends who bring their guns to a shooting range and allow their use by each other as this would be a temporary transfer requiring a background check.  While children are specifically exempt for training purposes, adults are not exempt unless the gun is kept at the shooting range at all times.  I'm not aware of any shooting ranges open to the public which allow the public to store their firearms on range property.

The sentence "Other temporary transfers for lawful hunting also would not require a background check." is misleading.  I-594 states that the hunting exception only applies "while hunting".  Hunting is defined as stalking/killing game animals, not preparing to hunt.  I-594 appears to prohibit a temporary transfer for hunting at any time other than while inside a game management unit unless a background check is obtained.  If I were to borrow a rifle from a friend the day prior to the hunt I would need to obtain a background check.

There is plenty of room in the I-594 section for the addition of several words to make that paragraph much less biased.  

Yours is the only name I can see in the Voter's Pamphlet.  I understand that you are not responsible for the content of the pamphlet, but I was hoping you can tell me the name and contact information of the persons who are.  Thank you.

Respectfully,

Randy Bragge
Belfair, WA
(360) 440-5889
View Quote

Not sure if I will get a reply.

Randy
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 6:16:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Well done.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 8:28:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Nice job.  I was trying to explain to my friend the other day who doesn't think this bill is that bad that if we were to go shooting in the woods it would not be legal for me to let him shoot my gun and vice versa. His attitude is basically that they would not enforce it. I guess its a good thing this friend doesn't vote.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 10:38:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Not going to do anything, I left my feedback in the other thread. Even more disappointed than the description sections is the against text, we can do better than this.

Quoted:
My voters' pamphlet came in the mail today.

What a bunch of crap on the writing. The against section was put together pretty poorly too. Looks like the pro 594 hit a home run on the pamphlets...
View Quote

This state is disappointing sometimes.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 11:30:48 PM EDT
[#4]
So, this once more demonstrates how corrupt and incompetent is the electoral process in WA.  

Any dictator in a banana-republic country would be jealous.

Of course, all these lies and misleading information would never cancel that initiative or be used later in court to counter it, would them?

Add the "vote count" and there you see how things are done in a democratic State.
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 4:14:33 PM EDT
[#5]
I got a reply.  The SoS office says the AG's office puts together the Voter's Pamphlet.  I wrote to the AG's office on their consumer report webpage.  I don't think that the AG is going to read my letter, but his office has been responsive in the past even if it was to say no.

Randy
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 5:12:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Alongside that, "Background checks are only required for purchasing a pistol".  Seriously who came up with that, and I hope that the NRA revokes Robert Brauer's membership.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 11:09:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Thank you Randy.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 5:20:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 7:23:34 PM EDT
[#9]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

my voter pamphlet doesnt have any of the initiatives in it.
View Quote
There are two voter pamphlets.  One is for the state wide races and one will be for local races.

Link Posted: 10/18/2014 10:37:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Got my VP today...

Thought the pro 591 piece was poorly written and incoherent. Anti 594 wasn't much better......
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 1:51:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I got a reply.  The SoS office says the AG's office puts together the Voter's Pamphlet.  I wrote to the AG's office on their consumer report webpage.  I don't think that the AG is going to read my letter, but his office has been responsive in the past even if it was to say no.

Randy
View Quote

Thanks for following up on this.  Even if they don't respond.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 2:23:45 AM EDT
[#12]
I just voted a few minutes ago. What's novel about that is that I'm currently out of the country and submitted my ballot via email.

Link Posted: 10/28/2014 2:07:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Interesting, you can vote via email... What were the steps to verify identity if any?

I dropped ours off at the dropbox, both gf and I show up as received on the snoco ballot tracker website.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 4:25:28 AM EDT
[#14]
Go here:  http://www.fvap.gov/

Select your state (WA):  http://www.fvap.gov/washington

Select WA online tool:  https://wei.sos.wa.gov/agency/osos/en/Pages/myvote.aspx

Enter your first and last names & birth date; verify or update your address; get your ballot; print it, make your selections, and sign.

I'm pretty sure it's the same as a mailed paper ballot, just faster delivery, so they will verify the signature.  My wife once voted for me while I was deployed and they kicked the ballot back as not my signature.  I submitted the ballot yesterday morning and received a reply that my ballot has been received by the county elections office.

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 8:08:17 PM EDT
[#15]
I got a reply from the AG office.  This is something I'll have to follow up on after the election.
Randall,

Thank you for your email to the Attorney General's Office.  We appreciate your comments and I will pass them on to the attorney in our office who drafted the explanatory statement for I-594. After the deadline for appealing to a court to adjust an explanatory statement (which has long since passed) we do not engage in discussions about what effect an initiative may or may not have.

Becca Glasgow
Deputy Solicitor General
Washington Attorney General's Office
View Quote

I'll also have to learn how to find out earlier what goes into the voter pamphlet.

Randy
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 8:19:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 9:26:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I got a reply from the AG office.  This is something I'll have to follow up on after the election.

I'll also have to learn how to find out earlier what goes into the voter pamphlet.

Randy
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Randall,

Thank you for your email to the Attorney General's Office.  We appreciate your comments and I will pass them on to the attorney in our office who drafted the explanatory statement for I-594. After the deadline for appealing to a court to adjust an explanatory statement (which has long since passed) we do not engage in discussions about what effect an initiative may or may not have.

Becca Glasgow
Deputy Solicitor General
Washington Attorney General's Office

Randy

Shady answer for shady interests by shady people.   That reply to you indicates stuff done in a hurry behind doors.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top