Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/14/2014 6:45:30 PM EDT
...AND LIKED IT!  

Been there a few times lately.
Worth the 3-4 hour drive.

Went to the Dry-Shitties and looked around.
Si, Pasco eez-so-kay, especially in some places.
Kennewick is some fun.
Richland is more like a modern small town, with leftovers from the Cold War era.
Took a drive to Palouse Falls...mini-Snoqualmie.  Had a recent e-coli outbreak......bring your own water.
Went to Walla Walla.  Had an Ice Berg Burger and stuff...good stuff!    Cool town!  Nice prison.
Ventured to Hermiston and had a nice lunch, bought something at the Pawn Shop......then on to Umatilla and a couple of other small towns.

Drove down George Washington Way ( Richland ) , southbound, from the northend, and for TWO MILES...TWO MILES...did I mention, TWO MILES?...there wasn't another vehicle in either direction ( BusMaster's Dreamland come true! )
There are buses, bus routes, bus jobs, and they're off on Sundays.  Quit at 6 or so weekdays.
Think I'm thinkin' about retirement on the WET SIDE?
No.  Just, NO.  

Had a bit of a 'dust storm', which was cool.  
Little tornadoes blowin' through town ( Kennewick ) and massive dust clouds up in the hills around the windmills.
Windmills are awesome.

Columbia River and Snake River or both.
Great scenery.
No traffic.

Home and Range Store...little bit of Heaven, right there.  
Need boots, hat and some guns and ammo?  Trailer hitch?  Sumpin' for your Honey?  They got it!
Good food?
Movie?
Walla Wal-Mart?  
You got it!

OK.
I like it there.
"I'll be back!"

Plus, there's a Senorita in the neighborhood...
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 6:56:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Yeah, I miss living on the dry side.  Less retardation over there.
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 7:16:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Finally got to I-90 / I-405 interchange yesterday and realized the retardation immediately.
TRAFFUCK.  TOO MUCH.

Got home and realized I didn't feel like I was 'home', I'd just arrived from there...weird feeling.

So, I plan to plan to get outta Dodge to Timbuktu and get some peace-of-mind, and maybe a supplemental income when I decide to retire from the WET SIDE.

There's always Portland, OR to go to if one really 'must' see a 'big city' for some action or entertainment.  Or, here, if need be.
Otherwise, I like that downplayed lifestyle after a lifetime of a bumper in front of me and one up my ass...
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 7:57:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Diff kind for sure. Less?  Not per capita.
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 8:13:35 PM EDT
[#4]
And this is why I live in a farm town outside walla walla

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 8:47:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Walla Walla was a nice place.
Probably looked better than when my Father went to 'college' there.  Yeah, that.  Didn't know 'til I was 13, in 1969...but, then again, that was him, that was then, and this is now.
No secret, no shame, just the facts, Ma'am.
It was my one and only chance, at this time in MY life, to make a connection to what he told me about himself, when I was a kid, and now, as an 'old man'! .
I made the most of it, from a distance...and that was enough.
Got a nice picture of the clouds...clouds he saw for YEARS.  
Amazing.
Here's to you, OLD MAN.
Here's to Walla Walla.
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 8:58:04 PM EDT
[#6]
I had an Ice Berg hamburger today
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 9:02:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I had an Ice Berg hamburger today
View Quote

Notice any BFL next door?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 9:17:58 PM EDT
[#8]
I moved to west Richland 7 years ago and never looked back. Rural with some amenities. I can't stand going to the wet side to visit my in laws. Spent many years in San diego traffic and am glad to be out of it, great schools for my kids and lots of outdoors stuff to do. Took up hunting again. Started salmon fishing.  Work on Geo Way actually. We love out guns out here.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 12:04:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I moved to west Richland 7 years ago and never looked back. Rural with some amenities. I can't stand going to the wet side to visit my in laws. Spent many years in San diego traffic and am glad to be out of it, great schools for my kids and lots of outdoors stuff to do. Took up hunting again. Started salmon fishing.  Work on Geo Way actually. We love out guns out here.
View Quote

I need job out there...
"...SO want to leave here..."

Can't hurry leaving the current situation, but I'm looking forward to doing so.
I've pretty much given any thought of moving to Sheridan, WY further consideration.  Too far away; too 'different'.  Probably wouldn't be a realistic conversion.  Really...
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 12:55:24 AM EDT
[#10]
I escaped Vancouver for Pendleton, OR almost 3 years ago and just recently moved to The Dalles. This is as far west as I'll ever live if I have my way
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 5:38:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Ellensburg is perfect for me.  I visit there as much as possible.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 5:43:57 PM EDT
[#12]
I love the dry side too, problem is, there's nothing to do for work over there that suits my needs.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 9:11:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I need job out there...

I've pretty much given any thought of moving to Sheridan, WY further consideration.  Too far away; too 'different'.  Probably wouldn't be a realistic conversion.  Really...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I need job out there...

What kind of work?
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 10:42:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Driving a BUS.
Two days back at work this week and I still have that 'blank' road I saw, and the not too busy buses burning an image in my mind.
WAY less stress, man!

Meanwhile, I'll do my best at what I do, until another plan comes together.
BEN FRANKLIN TRANSIT is a distinct possibility.  
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 12:18:08 AM EDT
[#15]
We just got back from 10 days on the dry side as well. We stayed in Chelan/Manson area as we usually do. We absolutely love it over there, the people are for the most part what we call normal, compared to what we have on the coasty side. We are really considering moving over there as well, but we would still have to deal with the idiotic laws of this state. So we are also considering Idaho, the wife and I have lived in this state our whole lives, and it really stinks to feel like we are giving in and moving out of state just to get away from the draconian laws of Washington. I love this state, but we are out numbered, and I don't feel like this is a fight we will win through voting.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 12:27:36 AM EDT
[#16]
I live in BFE, or as some say, Stevens county.
I've been here 25 years and  now the area is being over run by dopers and coasties.
I will be in Idaho or the Bitterroot  near my kids
within a few years.
Three counties shall rule them all...
Fuck this state...
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 9:35:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Hey Bus, I moved to Walla Walla last fall and we love it here. People are really nice and it is very laid back. As far as the freeways in the Tri-Cities go, my SIL heard a story that they were made well over carrying capacity in case of an accident at Hanford. That may or may not be true, but the .gov spent a lot of money for Hanford and most of the people working there lived in the Tri-cities so it goes to figure they would go overboard on the roads.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 2:19:02 PM EDT
[#18]
A lot of my family is from the Palouse area. Used to spend summers as a kid on the old family farm house out in the wheat fields. Nobody else in sight, complete freedom to do what you want, and not ten million god damn trees everywhere.

I hate living in western WA, so does my wife. We both grew up here and can't wait to leave for eastern WA or OR, but for now my job is tied to salt water.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 12:55:13 AM EDT
[#19]
Born and raised Dry-sider. Better part of 56 years here ( two year stint in C. Springs CO as a kid ) and I wouldn't trade it for anything. Richland has been my home and I'm staying put. You couldn't pay me enough to live in that Libtard cesspool Wet side ............

BT
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 2:16:28 AM EDT
[#20]
I did most of my growing up in Spokane. Still have a lot of extended family in the CDA/Post Falls area. At a minimum I get back there at least every couple of years. Our daughter in-law is from Kennewick and we have spent a bit of time there with her family. Usually spend a little time in the Cle Elum and Ellensburg areas throughout the year as well. Always a good time. Boating on Lake CDA is ALWAYS fun.

For us, the nicest things about those areas are to not having to deal with traffic congestion and the ability to get out someplace where you can shoot on open land pretty quickly. Otherwise, we prefer the proximity to the ocean, islands and mountains, the moderate climate, the lush greenery, the mix of urban amenities and rural areas, etc that western Washington provides. Snohomish has been a great little town to live and a raise a family in, the wife has a great job at Boeing and most of my family is here.

These days I think if I wanted to live east of the Cascades, I wouldn't stop going until I hit the Rockies. Idaho panhandle, western Montana, maybe Utah, etc. I could be working out of Hauser, ID tomorrow if I so desired. But we're pretty happy right where we are at. The grass always looks greener on the other, but there will always be something to complain about. Especially for the people always looking for something to complain about. I have watched as friends relatives moved from here to their conservative "Utopias" and they aren't any happier for it, or at least you'd never know it by listening to their usual political rants.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 11:41:33 PM EDT
[#21]
The stores name is Ranch and Home

Also, here is the local range:  https://www.tcsa.info/
We have a public range (with rimfire and pistol caliber plinking ranges), Hunters Safety Range, 13 pistol bays (regular USPSA and SASS matches), 1000yd high power range, shotgun range with trap, skeet and sporting clays, and a primitive range for black powder events.  The best part is it's a county park and yearly membership is only $50/year.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 7:37:43 AM EDT
[#22]
I stand corrected!
Good info on the facilities.  Thank you.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 10:32:17 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

View Quote

But they get snow.

Of course, 99% of my dry-side time has been spent at YTC, in invariably crappy weather....

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 12:22:33 AM EDT
[#24]
Whatever warts the dryside has, it's still infinitely better than the mountain of liberal humanity that is Seattle-istan.    I like the eastern parts of both OR and WA.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 12:32:59 AM EDT
[#25]

We have some pretty amazing sunsets here in the Tri-Cities.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top