Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/22/2014 10:34:59 AM EDT
I dont want legal advice, just an interpretation of Wa. state law.
I have a CCW but I want to strap my 10/22 to my bike, does it need to be cased?
I have read that a rifle needs to be unloaded if carried in a vehicle.
A motorcycle being a vehicle so simply unloaded I should be legal.
Right? Of course, I'll unload it.
Not saying I would not get pulled over, you can count on that happening for sure.
Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 11:10:54 AM EDT
[#1]
The way I see it is that if you wear a seat belt the car becomes just like any other accessory belted to your person, and since you can carry a firearm around loaded you can certainly carry a loaded firearm around in a vehicle strapped to your person.  Recommendation: install a seatbelt on your motorcycle and you'll be GTG.

[Disclaimer: I slept very poorly last night, not in a Holiday Inn, and was bit by a spider.]
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 1:23:36 PM EDT
[#2]
To clarify this, If I strap an unloaded rifle unto the rack of my motorcycle and ride it down the road, is this legal?
Not a sling on my back but on a rack, on my bike. Sorry for the confusion.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 1:28:31 PM EDT
[#3]
My interpretation would be that it would be fine, not violating any vehicle weapon laws, not violating any brandishing laws, what would they charge you with? Email to local sheriff, wsp, or ag?
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 8:09:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Unloaded it's fine, doesn't need to be cased but I'd recommend it.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 11:11:18 PM EDT
[#5]
My buddy has done it before, you will get lots of looks.

Though he doesn't do it anymore, old age and really why only bring one?
It's much better to get a find with a car and bring lots of guns.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 4:47:26 AM EDT
[#6]
I used a leather scabbard (the kind used on horseback) for many years.  Had it strapped on the front forks of a little Honda enduro.  Never had any issues, or questions.  Granted, that was the 1980's.

ETA:  This is is pretty close to the one I had.

Link Posted: 9/23/2014 1:09:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Sounds like a great application for a 10/22 TD.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 5:40:02 PM EDT
[#8]
My 10/22 is a HTA bullpup, a new and exciting toy that's a legal 27".
I can strap it to almost any rack or accessory mount and ride almost anywhere on My Yamaha Super 'Tenere 1200. (ADV Bike)
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 8:28:33 AM EDT
[#9]
Perfectly legal.

If you were pulled over because of that, IOW, not breaking any traffic laws, the police officer would be breaking the law.  The courts have repeatedly ruled that pretext stops are illegal in Washington.  There are several dirtbags out on the street because the cops pulled them over for something dumb, like not signaling a turn, merely so they could get a look inside the car.  Yes, the cops found drugs or guns, but the criminal complaint was thrown out in court.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 7:35:39 PM EDT
[#10]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Unloaded it's fine, doesn't need to be cased but I'd recommend it.
View Quote
This. Why freak out the soccer Moms?

Link Posted: 9/24/2014 8:41:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The way I see it is that if you wear a seat belt the car becomes just like any other accessory belted to your person, and since you can carry a firearm around loaded you can certainly carry a loaded firearm around in a vehicle strapped to your person.  Recommendation: install a seatbelt on your motorcycle and you'll be GTG.

[Disclaimer: I slept very poorly last night, not in a Holiday Inn, and was bit by a spider.]
View Quote

Don't we need a CCW for that, or am I mistken?
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 1:46:47 PM EDT
[#12]
You do for a loaded pistol, as far as I understand you can never carry a loaded rifle in a vehicle.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 7:37:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
You do for a loaded pistol, as far as I understand you can never carry a loaded rifle in a vehicle.
View Quote

That's what I thought.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 6:43:37 PM EDT
[#14]
I've ridden with my 870 strapped to my back to go grouse hunting.  Never had any problems but sure got lots of looks.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 5:25:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Rode from spokane to walla walla and back with my savage .223 with a can on it.

Many many calls in to 911, was stopped and cop explained he knew I wasn't breaking the law but that there were so many calls in that he had to make a contact.

Performed a paperwork dump on him and I was on my way.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 10:54:23 AM EDT
[#16]
yeah, when kesselrings had that huge surplus 870 sale, my pal slung one across his back and rode all the way back to oak harbor. Said a cop was even behind him for a bit but no issues.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 2:19:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Rode from spokane to walla walla and back with my savage .223 with a can on it.

Many many calls in to 911, was stopped and cop explained he knew I wasn't breaking the law but that there were so many calls in that he had to make a contact.

Performed a paperwork dump on him and I was on my way.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

I have always wondered what it is in people's minds that makes a visible gun so much more cause for alarm than one they cannot see.

I mean have you ever heard of anyone calling 911 on a truck with an occupied gun rack? Anyone ever called 911 on a hunter's vehicle, which obviously must have guns inside? Probably not.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 2:07:45 AM EDT
[#18]
you people seems to forget that open carry is legal in washington.  by carring it on a motorcycle is that not open carry??  yes it is .  i have done it many times and i have been stopped but no biggie.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top