Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/18/2014 2:26:30 AM EDT
Can anyone recommend a company that would move a safe for me?  It's actually not a big task, I just can't handle doing it myself as it's about 650 lbs.  My lease is up and the place that I'm renting is going up for sale.  I don't want to buy a house around here but am trapped until my kids finish school in a couple of years.  We lucked out and are literally moving next door.  Our neighbor is military, just got orders, and is looking for someone to rent his place.  I originally purchased my safe from Northwest Safe Company in Enumclaw.  They want $525.00 to simply come over, load it up, walk it next door, and drop it off.  It's going from the first floor of a home to the first floor of a home, maybe 75 feet total distance.  Perhaps I'm over thinking this, but that quote seems a bit steep to me.  Especially when I am their customer who purchased it from them in the first place.  Nothing against them, but I simply thought that was a bit much.  Can anyone else suggest a good place for me please?
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 7:51:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Interior or garage?

Any stairs involved?

I bought mine from NWS, but brought it home and put into garage myself.

Hand truck for the big moving, steel pipe for the rolling into garage....but no stairs involved
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 8:45:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Two guys and a furniture dolly, I move my safe which is 1250 lbs. With me and two friends and a furniture dolly. No stairs involved though.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 9:39:50 AM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I bought mine from NWS, but brought it home and put into garage myself.

Hand truck for the big moving, steel pipe for the rolling into garage....but no stairs involved
View Quote

What the jarhead said.

Link Posted: 9/18/2014 11:10:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Light the Q and supply the beer and I'd bet you could get a group of arfcommers there to help you do it.  Wouldn't be the first time.  What part of town are we talking about?
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 12:10:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks everyone.  There are about 4 stairs involved at each house, both being the front porch.  I'm on South Whidbey, not too far from the ferry dock.  I could most definitely fire up the BBQ and stock the fridge.  I just wasn't sure about any companies and going rates.  A few months ago, I inquired to NWS and was told about $500.00 and told them that it would most likely be further up the island.  Now it's $525.00 to move next door.  I'm not trying to slam NWS, but it just seemed a little overly expensive to me.  I know with a quote like that, I will not be buying my next safe there.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 1:33:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Is the door removable? I took my door off for a move and it dropped about 175lbs from the total weight.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 2:38:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Light the Q and supply the beer and I'd bet you could get a group of arfcommers there to help you do it.  Wouldn't be the first time.  What part of town are we talking about?
View Quote

hmmm....I need to move mine to the other side of my garage..and bolt it down [yes Cavvet, I am ready to do it now]
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 4:08:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Part of the cost is travel to the island and back! You could call Allied security In Kent and get a quote also. Beer and a bbq will be cheaper no matter what!
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 1:15:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks guys.  I'm kinda in a pinch as far as time frame goes.  Everything is revolving around the neighbors schedule right now for his movers.  I found a place on the island that is very reasonable and way less than half of what NWS was gonna charge me.  I totally understand that there is travel costs incurred in coming to this liberal rock utopia via ferry.  What I don't understand is how a company that sold me the safe (for a hefty price I might add) would want to charge an astronomical fee for this service.  Especially when they don't have to load the safe in a vehicle, strap it down, transport it, etc....  Perhaps I'm over reacting a bit here, but I thought that $525.00 for that was ridiculous and Northwest Safe Company has lost a customer.  Being that I work in a gun shop, train new shooters on occasion, and have been asked to make recommendations on safe purchases, I certainly won't be recommending an overpriced company such as them in the future.  I used to send them some business here and there.  That won't happen anymore.  I'll chalk them up to the "Cheaper Than Dirt" category of businesses......

On the brighter side, a BBQ may still be in order.  
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 9:11:38 AM EDT
[#10]
I was in the same pickle a couple months ago. NWS wanted like $800 to move my safe down two stairs and into the next door neighbors garage. I rented a dolly and 2 suction cups. 30 minutes and 6 guys later it was done.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 12:15:17 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Thanks guys.  I'm kinda in a pinch as far as time frame goes.  Everything is revolving around the neighbors schedule right now for his movers.  I found a place on the island that is very reasonable and way less than half of what NWS was gonna charge me.  I totally understand that there is travel costs incurred in coming to this liberal rock utopia via ferry.  What I don't understand is how a company that sold me the safe (for a hefty price I might add) would want to charge an astronomical fee for this service.  Especially when they don't have to load the safe in a vehicle, strap it down, transport it, etc....  Perhaps I'm over reacting a bit here, but I thought that $525.00 for that was ridiculous and Northwest Safe Company has lost a customer.  Being that I work in a gun shop, train new shooters on occasion, and have been asked to make recommendations on safe purchases, I certainly won't be recommending an overpriced company such as them in the future.  I used to send them some business here and there.  That won't happen anymore.  I'll chalk them up to the "Cheaper Than Dirt" category of businesses......

View Quote

You are being kinda rough on them. Im sure you are a fair guy, so let me give you an objective viewpoint that is quite different.

Its a bare minimum of two hours away ONE way. Thats two hours if the planets are all lined up right- which they NEVER are. Being that I move around this region constantly I can assure you that trip during the day is probably closer to a minimum of three hours if daylight is burning. Thats 6 hours round trip travel only plus a ferry hour. You either wait in line an hour or you get there too far back to get on the ferry and wait an hour for the next ferry or you drive around.

Rome wasnt built in a day. This safe wont be moved in 20 minutes. At first you said first floor to first floor- later you said stairs on both ends. I will guess they will be there an hour (and I will guess any company, plumber, sparky, whatever charges one hour minimum).

I will guess since you said there are stairs on both ends they would send three guys minimum.

So thats 525/ (3*7)= $25 per hour to the guys- no profit to the company. I will suggest that is the good guy price and the only reason they gave you that price was because its their safe. If you notice the final number does not include going around- nor waiting for or paying for a ferry nor cover any vehicle. Those are down and dirty travel and move time numbers only.

I dont think they are raping you as you suggest, These guys have a good reputation around here, and have had for a long time. If somebody wants a china safe they go to walmart. If they want to buy a good safe they are the go to guys.

I think your assessment needs to be reconsidered. 70 miles from south east king county through a major clusterfuck us city across a ferry to island county? I think $500 is VERY fair.

I would look to somebody up around marysville, anacortes, skagit county myself. BUT that itself creates a problem. Would you rather somebody you can trust from enumclaw knows you have a safe- or some local guys you dont know know you have a safe? Peace of mind is priceless.

Just something to think about.

Link Posted: 9/20/2014 7:19:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

You are being kinda rough on them. Im sure you are a fair guy, so let me give you an objective viewpoint that is quite different.

Its a bare minimum of two hours away ONE way. Thats two hours if the planets are all lined up right- which they NEVER are. Being that I move around this region constantly I can assure you that trip during the day is probably closer to a minimum of three hours if daylight is burning. Thats 6 hours round trip travel only plus a ferry hour. You either wait in line an hour or you get there too far back to get on the ferry and wait an hour for the next ferry or you drive around.

Rome wasnt built in a day. This safe wont be moved in 20 minutes. At first you said first floor to first floor- later you said stairs on both ends. I will guess they will be there an hour (and I will guess any company, plumber, sparky, whatever charges one hour minimum).

I will guess since you said there are stairs on both ends they would send three guys minimum.

So thats 525/ (3*7)= $25 per hour to the guys- no profit to the company. I will suggest that is the good guy price and the only reason they gave you that price was because its their safe. If you notice the final number does not include going around- nor waiting for or paying for a ferry nor cover any vehicle. Those are down and dirty travel and move time numbers only.

I dont think they are raping you as you suggest, These guys have a good reputation around here, and have had for a long time. If somebody wants a china safe they go to walmart. If they want to buy a good safe they are the go to guys.

I think your assessment needs to be reconsidered. 70 miles from south east king county through a major clusterfuck us city across a ferry to island county? I think $500 is VERY fair.

I would look to somebody up around marysville, anacortes, skagit county myself. BUT that itself creates a problem. Would you rather somebody you can trust from enumclaw knows you have a safe- or some local guys you dont know know you have a safe? Peace of mind is priceless.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well put.....I rolled my eyes when I read the quoted post....

I shopped OR, WA, and Northern CA for safes and I will give you one guess who had the best prices hands down not to mention great service for factory built safes. Bought from them before and won't hesitate to do it again and they are 2.5 hours from me. I don't think with distance, manpower, specialized equipment, and the ferry involved that the quote is out of line in the slightest. I am surprised they would even quote it....
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 8:54:04 PM EDT
[#13]
I was quoted $500 to move a safe 20' from my livingroom, down 2 steps and into the garage. Company is 10 minutes down the road. Just to enter my house is $350 then $25/stair and $100 to move it. I did it myself with my dad and a dolly. I will never do that again. $525 is a great price.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 9:59:57 PM EDT
[#14]
+87 for NW Safe

I had them deliver my safe and install it into my basement.  Traveled down 100' of sloped yard and then thru a thin door requiring the lock to be removed.  Worth every bit of $300.  It would have taken 4-5 of my buddies and me to do it in 2-3X the time and guaranteed the safe and my door would have had some damage.

Link Posted: 9/21/2014 10:28:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Interesting replies.  As I indicated, I was hoping that I wasn't over reacting.  I still think that it's an outrageous price.  I didn't get a warm and fuzzy about my sale either as it was pretty cold and all business.  I guess you could say that I didn't feel very welcome.  I specifically went there as I wanted a safe from a safe store.  I knew it would be expensive, I was prepared for it.  It wasn't just me, my wife and kids thought that they were just trying to rush us though and get us out the door.  And my wife is the calmer and more rational of the two of us.  

It is what it is.  I know that I'm not gonna do it on my own.  I understand they do an inspection and all when they move it.  I get it.  I simply thought it was a bit too much money for what I wanted done.  If others are willing to pay that and more, then I'm genuinely happy for them.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 12:31:34 AM EDT
[#16]
I rented a "stair climbing" hand truck. It is a heavy duty hand truck with an electric motor and a set of rotating wheels on short arms (hard to explain, you have to see it in action) that can take heavy loads up and down stairs.

I was able to move my safe down a flight of stairs with the help of two other guys.

However my safe was a little lighter than yours by about 100 pounds.

When I have to move it again I'll do the same thing; it just wasn't all that challenging.

Currently considering another safe in the 650 pound range and am planning on renting the stair climber again.

It is a neat piece of equipment that may or may not work for your situation. Good luck!
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 7:28:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Thanks DDC.  I appreciate the info.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:00:47 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I rented a "stair climbing" hand truck. It is a heavy duty hand truck with an electric motor and a set of rotating wheels on short arms (hard to explain, you have to see it in action) that can take heavy loads up and down stairs.

I was able to move my safe down a flight of stairs with the help of two other guys.

However my safe was a little lighter than yours by about 100 pounds.

When I have to move it again I'll do the same thing; it just wasn't all that challenging.

Currently considering another safe in the 650 pound range and am planning on renting the stair climber again.

It is a neat piece of equipment that may or may not work for your situation. Good luck!
View Quote

Where did you find it? I looked far and wide for that spacific piece of equipment  when I moved my safe but couldn't find anyone who had one.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 11:41:59 PM EDT
[#19]
It was from an equipment rental outfit out on Aurora Ave North.

I don't recall the exact name. This was back in 2002.

I did a little googling; these links might help:

http://www.millersrentall.com/equipment.asp?action=category&category=43&key=DOLLYSTAIR

http://aurorarents.com/equipment.asp?action=category&category=73
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top