Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/14/2014 3:14:55 PM EDT
...for the city, state? I'm in Vancouver, WA....the address on my F1 is Vancouver, WA...but if I drive across the river and actually make the SBRs in Portland, OR via the 5320.20 form, would I engrave "Portland, OR" on the SBRs or Vancouver, WA?  
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 3:18:02 PM EDT
[#1]
I asked in another thread.  Someone replied that he had talked to the BATFE and they stated where the trust is.

I was going to do the same thing -- as I had a concern over "can't make in WA", but as long as you have the 5320.20, we'll be in the clear.
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 6:28:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Portland is one letter shorter... :grin:

I think having an approved 5320.20 and having the thing engraved Portland OR would provide at least a foundation for reasonable doubt that the gun was made in Washington. On the other hand I'm not a lawyer...
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 9:37:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 10:01:07 PM EDT
[#4]
So, a few weeks ago, I did the "Ask the Experts" from atfonline.gov/eforms, and I asked the following question: "Hello, I have an approved Form 1. Do I engrave the Name, City and State on Form 1 box 3b on the firearm or do I engrave where the actually SBR was made. For example, if approved Form 1 box 3b lists Portland, OR, and the SBR was assmbled/made in Boise, ID, what do I engrave on the SBR? Portland, OR or where it was assembled, Boise, ID?"

The response that I received from Gary N.Schaible, was "The city and state will be that of the trust address, not where assembled. The name, city and state can be marked on the receiver or the barrel as long as the marking is conspicuous in either location."

However, C.F.R. § 479.102(a)(2) section (iv) states:  "In the case of a domestically made firearm, the city and State (or recognized abbreviation thereof) where you as the manufacturer maintain your place of business, or where you, as the maker, made the firearm."

So, I again submitted an "Ask the Experts" question and the following is the response I received from Ted Clutter:  "§ 479.102 lays out the marking requirements, to clarify, the maker’s name, city and state required to be marked on the firearm:  “By engraving, casting, stamping (impressing), or otherwise conspicuously placing or causing to be engraved, cast, stamped (impressed), or placed on the frame, receiver, or barrel thereof certain additional information.”"

I've sent Ted Clutter a follow up email asking the following:  Questions: a) Because I have a Form 1 approved...I am the "maker"...correct?  b) If I made the SBR with the approved Form 1 in Boise, ID, I would engrave Boise, ID on the SBR...correct?  c) What if my Form 1 box 3b has a different City and State(Portland, OR) than where the actual SBR was made(Boise, ID)?  Which City, State do I engrave?

I'll post back when I receive a response.
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 10:01:28 PM EDT
[#5]
I thought it was a phone conversation, not an email.... but my memory sucks soooo....

I stand corrected!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top