Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/13/2014 2:02:26 PM EDT
Hey gents. I'm thinking of building a form1 stubby suppressor for my 7.5 ar15.  The goal would be able take enough bark off the little monster to be hearing safe WITH only one set of ear pro, like a pair of impact sports without plugs underneath. This would be an outdoor fun gun and not be used indoors as an HD weapon. I know it would never be really hearing safe without ear pro and I know I'm going to get some massive baffle erosion, and that's why I'd rather form 1 a can rather than buying a commercial can. Theoretically, with a form 1 can, a SOT could repair the baffles and I wouldn't have to worry about a manufactures warranty or wait time on the transfer of a new suppressor.

I've picked Ranb's brain a little and he suggested some materials and a length of 5 inches. Do you all think it would be possible to build a takedown suppressor that would stand up to the pressure a 7.5 ar is going have? Something similar to this pic.

Now, would I be better off buying my own lathe or finding someone local who has a lathe to stand over my shoulder as I turn the parts on their machine. I've never used a lathe before so I'm not sure how difficult the undertaking would be for me.

Looking for your thoughts.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 9:59:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Those are my old designs, I go with a direct screw on can, no muzzle brake; can make it shorter or fit another baffle in there that way.  A stainless can with screw on end caps is going to be heavier than one with thinner tubing for welded end caps.

Randy
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 11:53:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks Randy. Would you have any idea what weight difference it would be? I'm still way early in the planning stage at this point. Thanks for all your input.
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 2:35:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks Randy. Would you have any idea what weight difference it would be? I'm still way early in the planning stage at this point. Thanks for all your input.
View Quote

You know what scratch that. I'm going to buy a mini lathe anyway so I'll be able to approximate weight from a fullsize piece of stock. Randy, thanks again for all your insight.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 12:56:44 AM EDT
[#4]
With the steel you will be using and that short of a barrel you should go much thicker of a blast baffle.
K baffles work much better with lower pressure ammo like 22 Lr, 9mm or 45 acp, using 60 deg cones for high pressure rifle ammo
will give better results and will probably survive longer.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 11:55:26 AM EDT
[#5]
I would also ditch the odd thread pattern unless that is specifically what your barrel is.  1/2" x 28 is pretty much standard for 5.56/.223.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top