Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/10/2014 4:17:53 PM EDT
Does anyone know of any stores in the Seattle, Tacoma or Kitsap county areas that carry Aluma-Black or something comparable?
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 4:30:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 4:32:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've seen it in big 5 and other places that carry cleaning supplies.
View Quote

Thanks, I didn't know it was so common.
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 4:33:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 4:46:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Found mine at Sportsman's Wharehouse in Federal Way.

Link Posted: 9/10/2014 6:23:02 PM EDT
[#5]
I used some yesterday and was less than impressed after four attempts to re-blacken my sbr trust engravings. I followed the instructions but got only about 70% coverage. I hit it with a little spray paint from a qtip for final coverage. I'll just have to keep an eye on it. YMMV.
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 10:16:19 PM EDT
[#6]
The stuff's not worth the powder to blow it to hell.  It may work ok for the softer alloys but gun receivers and the like it doesn't do too much.
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 9:33:41 AM EDT
[#7]
My engraving looks perfect/factory after using the Birchwood Casey Aluminum Black.

Cleaned the engraved letters with denatured alcohol and waited 10 minutes for it to dry.

Applied the Aluminum black and let it sit for 60 seconds

Wiped the Aluminum Black off and cleaned the residue with alcohol and waited 10 minutes for it to dry

Applied a 2nd application Aluminum black and let it sit for 60 seconds

Wiped the Aluminum Black off and cleaned the residue with alcohol and waited 10 minutes for it to dry

Oiled it up and it looks great.

One thing I noticed. When the laser engraving was done it left just a tiny tiny amount of "flashing" around the letters; enough to lightly snag a kleenex tissue when wiping the letters down.

The corrosiveness of the Aluminum Black smoothed out/removed the flashing so it's perfectly smooth now.

The warning label does say "DANGER:POISON.CORROSIVE" so don't let it sit too long on the aluminum.
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 11:20:23 AM EDT
[#8]
I've had great success with it over the years.  Just don't leave it on too long.  Got mine at Wades.
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 1:51:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Most gun shops should carry it, but I know that a lot of them don't.

Wades in Bellevue does and I remember seeing some in Lynnwood Gun off of HWY 99. I think WCA in Bellevue may have some as well.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top