Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 15
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 7:34:40 PM EDT
[#1]
For those in the tricities, I have yard signs. 40 of yes on 591 and 40 no on 594. Message me if you want one and I will get you my number.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 7:37:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Fuck, I forgot about the Lakewood NRA thing today
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:16:53 PM EDT
[#3]
How many want to bet that the next "loophole" they try to close is making firearms yourself and not registering. Cali fortunately didn't pass the requirement to register "ghost" guns.the liberal apple doesn't fall far from the tree.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:17:44 PM EDT
[#4]
On the up-side I saw several YES on 591 signs in Bellevue (of all places) today.

Down-side, I was just watching a youtube video on the S&W 1076 and the lead-in ad was a YES on 594 commercial.  Made some claim about states with mandatory background checks = XX% fewer women shot or some such.

So they bought time on youtube gun videos?  Seems like a waste, but I'm OK with that.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 1:03:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Do they really think the number of women being shot in this state is going to be reduced because of this initiative? That stat just seems to be reaching... just a little...
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 5:13:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Do they really think the number of women being shot in this state is going to be reduced because of this initiative? That stat just seems to be reaching... just a little...
View Quote

Since when the deadbrains ever let facts and logic get on the way of their agendas, whatever they are.  That critter currently in the White House is the epitome of their mindset.  Lie, lie, and then lie some more and if not enough make more things up and even break or ignore the laws in order to reach their sordid objectives.  

Add that here in WA we already know how votes are "counted" so my expectations for a fair plebiscite are virtually non-existent.

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 8:25:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Anyone have yard signs in Vancouver??? Been making calls and asking all over and coming up with nothing thus far....
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 12:40:07 AM EDT
[#8]
good question on the 'couve yard signs...
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 12:40:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 3:14:03 PM EDT
[#10]
I sent an email to the 591 group looking for yard signs but haven't heard anything back.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 3:39:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Contacted several local gun groups and the Clark County Republican Office. It appears that "Gun Right Coalition" is getting some to their office by tomorrow, and that after the board meeting last night they are ordering some of their own.

I am swinging by to pick some up so don't take them all!!!

Link Posted: 10/2/2014 7:37:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Here's a Facebook cover photo you guys can use.

http://i811.photobucket.com/albums/zz32/HuskyKMA/No594_zps9bc081f5.jpg
View Quote

Thank you, I'm using that.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 9:52:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I sent an email to the 591 group looking for yard signs but haven't heard anything back.
View Quote

Got an email back. They're sending me six signs.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 8:21:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Been hustling. Best is to talk with people. Most still don't know what it is and don't like it when they hear what it really is!

I put signs up all around, but need more. Mailed out stickers, got them on my car.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 9:49:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 9:51:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

x2 word of mouth is our best bet, noone ive talked to was on board with it after I explained what was really in the law.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Been hustling. Best is to talk with people. Most still don't know what it is and don't like it when they hear what it really is!

I put signs up all around, but need more. Mailed out stickers, got them on my car.

x2 word of mouth is our best bet, noone ive talked to was on board with it after I explained what was really in the law.

Same here. That's the kicker. The title on the ballot isn't even 10% of the picture. I have just been pleading with people to rest the 18 pages.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 11:41:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Contacted several local gun groups and the Clark County Republican Office. It appears that "Gun Right Coalition" is getting some to their office by tomorrow, and that after the board meeting last night they are ordering some of their own.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

SW WA surplus on 4th plain has some and CCRP has a pile....
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 11:54:34 PM EDT
[#18]
looks like pro-594 people are stealing the pro-591 / anti-594 signs. happened twice so far.

might want to put them somewhere under camera surveillance so the perps can be caught.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 2:02:59 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
looks like pro-594 people are stealing the pro-591 / anti-594 signs. happened twice so far.

might want to put them somewhere under camera surveillance so the perps can be caught.
View Quote

This is real. Need to catch them in the act.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 8:51:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

We already knew they lie and cheat, stealing was only a matter of time.

Need some yard signs in Camas/Vancouver. Only thing I've seen out here is the Vote No 594 sticker on my truck that the NRA sent out.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 10:03:08 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 1:42:48 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 2:48:06 PM EDT
[#24]

Make the poll link cold.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 5:42:37 PM EDT
[#25]
Some off the claims in that youtube video are wrong.  When speaking out against 594 you need to be correct.  Their guest on the show was sloppy.

Ranb
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 5:56:26 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 8:36:14 PM EDT
[#27]
This one; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkWLWgM0sig

Randy
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 2:25:19 AM EDT
[#28]
Hi Ranb.  Let me know where I was wrong so I can improve if my boss asks me to be on the radio again.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 1:38:03 AM EDT
[#29]
I didn't mean to sound too harsh when calling the show sloppy.  I'm glad you went on the show; in my opinion you did way more good than bad.  I look at video of some of my speaking in Olympia and know I could do much better at times.  
Here are my comments.

2:40 “I-594 criminalizes every transfer of a firearm done without a NICS check.”
View Quote
Exceptions to this are listed in Section 3, paragraphs (2) a and b.  More exceptions are listed in Section 3, paragraph (4)

2:57  “I-594 would make it illegal to transfer any firearm without it (NICS).”
View Quote
Same as above.

3:15 “If you want to hand a gun to someone in the privacy of your own store, you would have to run a NICS check.”
View Quote

I’m assuming that when you say “own store” you mean a licensed dealer.  Dealers are exempt.  They can allow people to handle guns in their store and are allowed to purchase a gun (for the business inventory) from an individual without a NICS check.  If you mean the firing range, then as long as the gun is stored there is it also permitted.  Provided the shooting range is “authorized by the governing body of the jurisdiction in which such range is located”.  I’m glad you brought that part up too.  It was nice to hear details on using another person’s gun at a shooting range and how it would not be legal (unless the gun was kept there at all times).

5:15 “ Let’s say the one guy trying to buy it (the gun) doesn’t pass.  Well you can take the gun home anyway, and that’s not how it works.”  Then goes on to describe the details of the bound book.
View Quote

Section 3 paragraph (3) (a) details how the transfer and NICS are done.  The seller is allowed to take the gun away from the dealer premises (not sure if this jives with federal law) while the background check is being performed.  Paragraph (d) goes on to say that if the buyer does not pass NICS then the dealer returns the gun to the seller.

5:50 “I-594 criminalizes grandpa handing his grandson a shotgun and saying let’s learn how to shoot.”
View Quote

I-594 exempts temporary transfers to children (for lawful hunting, sporting, or educational purposes) as long as they are supervised by an adult who is allowed to possess a gun.  Of course if the grandson is an adult the transfer would have to be a bona fide gift.  Not sure if he could gift it right back to grandpa though.

I-594 sucks, I hope it goes down in serious flames.  :)

Randy Bragge
(360) 440-5889
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 9:33:44 AM EDT
[#30]
A question just occurred to me - Does 594 subject purchases from an FFL to the local LEO check, in addition to the NICS check? i.e. will a CPL holder no longer be able to buy a firearm without a wait?

Also, regarding the exemption for minor children when hunting - loaning the minor a firearm, then separating from them (say, to drive or flush prey, or sit in a separate stand) would violate the law as the child is no longer supervised.

ETA: I believe that exemption only applies to hunting, if the child holds a license and "all training", not to target shooting outside an "approved" range. So, Grandpa becomes a felon if he teaches little Billy to shoot at the farm, and the new neighbors who just moved in from Seattle complain about the noise and call the sheriff.

This illustrates the problem with this law: it has so many convoluted intricacies, traps, and exceptions that it's almost impossible to decipher what's legal. It will turn law abiding folks into criminals.  Yet it does NOTHING to prevent transfers which are ALREADY illegal.

One of the folks at the Sammamish Council meeting asked "Do you think the police are going to come and get you if you hand a gun to a friend in the National Forest?"  Absolutely. A hiker calls in a noise complaint for legal target shooting, ranger shows up, decides guns have been transferred, confiscates the whole "arsenal".  

Sammamish Councilmember Whitten said "If it saves just one life..."  But, at the cost of how many ruined?

Link Posted: 10/8/2014 10:26:59 AM EDT
[#31]
Few more questions:

Is there an exemption for flare guns or signalling devices?  I could not find it.

Is there an exemption for powder powered nailing devices (concrete nail guns)?  I could not find that either.

Seems like Marine supply stores, Boat owners, Hardware stores, construction, etc. are "accidentally" going to violate this law.

Link Posted: 10/8/2014 1:26:19 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 2:55:45 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:ETA: I believe that exemption only applies to hunting, if the child holds a license and "all training", not to target shooting outside an "approved" range. So, Grandpa becomes a felon if he teaches little Billy to shoot at the farm, and the new neighbors who just moved in from Seattle complain about the noise and call the sheriff.
View All Quotes
Quoted:ETA: I believe that exemption only applies to hunting, if the child holds a license and "all training", not to target shooting outside an "approved" range. So, Grandpa becomes a felon if he teaches little Billy to shoot at the farm, and the new neighbors who just moved in from Seattle complain about the noise and call the sheriff.

In this case since the child is being taught by an adult, it is okay.

(4) This section does not apply to:
(f) The temporary transfer of a firearm
(iv) to a person who is under eighteen years of age for lawful hunting, sporting, or educational purposes while under the direct supervision and control of a responsible adult who is not prohibited from possessing firearms;

Randy

Link Posted: 10/8/2014 3:24:29 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 11:48:40 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Sammamish Councilmember Whitten said "If it saves just one life..."  But, at the cost of how many ruined?

View Quote

If they were just a small fraction worried about "saving one life" when topics like DUI deaths by repeated offenders, abortions, etc. come up.

Or even victims who could not defend themselves when attacked by criminals physically much stronger and were murdered.

But I guess that's asking too much of their impaired little brains.  

Link Posted: 10/9/2014 1:15:21 AM EDT
[#36]
Hi Randy.  Don't sweat the phrasing, it's the meat that matters.  My objective is to articulate the reasons why I believe I-584 is bad legislation, and if I've muddied the waters in my attempts to do so, then that's bad on me.  I'm always willing to accept constructive criticism; especially if it helps the cause.

That said, to address your points:

1.  You're right, I should've said, "criminalizes all transfers that take place without a NICS check except for in a handful of narrowly-defined carve-outs," instead of just stopping where I did.  Please bear in mind that I've never been on the radio before and I had limited time to really prepare.  In fact, I was under the impression that I would be debating the initiative with another person until a few minutes before going on-air.

2.  Regarding stores, in fairness I didn't originate that line.  I said, "in the privacy of your own living room," and the host threw out the store line shortly thereafter.  That said, I didn't correct him, and I could have, but it would've derailed my line of thought.

3.  Not enough people are really digging into the 'range use exemption' and how narrow and flawed it is.  Being the manager of an indoor range, I was glad to have the opportunity to shed some light on that.  People sharing each others' guns could potentially be a chargeable offense, and a lack of vague 'recognition' from the jurisdiction's governing body could even criminalize the act of renting firearms.  It bears repeating how asinine this concept is.

4.  My point about I-594 being incompatible with federal gun law still stands; I-594 specifically states that private transfers should be conducted as though the privately-owned firearm is part of the FFL's inventory, which will necessitate--at least, as out compliance officer and legal counsel believe--adding into the bound book.  Firearms cannot be transferred out of an FFL's inventory to a private individual without an NICS check.  The I-594 assertion that the seller can just take the gun home in the even that the intended seller fails a NICS check is incorrect.  Transferring a firearm out of an FFL's inventory without a criminal background check is against the law.  I have also been led to believe that addition to the bound book would be necessary in the event of an ATF audit and--in a way that was not explained to me--necessary to comply with Washington's DoL handgun transfer requirements.  I've not worked in firearms retail for over a year, though, so I'm out of my element at that point.

5.  I was assuming that the grandson was an adult, hence, not being allowed to be lent a firearm by an (obviously) adult grandparent.

That all said, I agree.  I-594 is hopelessly onerous and really needs to be defeated.  Hopefully at the ballot box, and failing that, in the courts.  Thanks for the feedback, though.  Again:  I'm always receptive to constructive criticism.

Thanks for the positive feedback from everyone else, though!

I will be on--I believe--KTTH tomorrow, 9 Oct. 2014, somewhere between 1700 and 1800.  I believe this time will be a bit more hardball.  My understanding is that I will be responding to a person who, I believe, sold a firearm to a felon.   My assumption is that it was done to prove a political point, but I really don't know.  I have very little ground intel.
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 7:16:58 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I will be on--I believe--KTTH tomorrow, 9 Oct. 2014, somewhere between 1700 and 1800.  I believe this time will be a bit more hardball.  My understanding is that I will be responding to a person who, I believe, sold a firearm to a felon.   My assumption is that it was done to prove a political point, but I really don't know.  I have very little ground intel.
View Quote

So you will be on Ben's show?

http://www.ktth.com/demand/shows/benshapiro

He is a pro-freedom guy. Hardball?

Anyway, as you know yes selling a gun to a felon is already a crime and if said felon wants a gun, he will break laws to get the gun. Why do we allow this dangerous felon out "on our streets"? I-594 won't help that situation.
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 2:44:05 PM EDT
[#38]
Holy crap guys, the money they are spending on 'yes on 594' has really seemed to penetrate the internet. I'm doing a ton of research right now for an unrelated term paper and I keep stumbling across 'yes on 594' adds. I guess it's just the reach of google ads, but I'm researching some relatively obscure / unrelated stuff (nepotism at multinationals operating in china, crap like that) and yes on 594 is EVERYWHERE.  Damn those rich liberals!  If we're gonna win this thing, we gotta go grass roots style and just talk to people about it. I have my no on 594 / yes on 591 bumper sticker and I tell everyone I run into whats up with these laws. I just hope our collective efforts are enough!  
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 3:31:52 PM EDT
[#39]
As I have only seen ads promoting this law, I presume that it's passage is going to happen.  I fear that the anti-gun people in this state so heavily outweigh, outvote, and outspend the pro-gun people that more of these laws are going to be shoved down the throats of firearms owners.  

If I'm right about passage of this law, then the next step in opposing it would be through the courts after passage.  Has any thought gone into opposing this law through the courts to have it overturned?  The money that would otherwise be spent on opposing passage of this law, might be better spent figuring out a way to have the law overturned after it's passage.  

I'm not in favor of this law, but I'm trying to think about cost effective ways to keep this law from actually taking effect.  I usually don't favor giving up without a fight, but it would appear that this law is going to be passed, so why not consider the next possible step in keeping it from taking effect?
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 3:47:09 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 4:35:35 PM EDT
[#41]
I feel the same way... I threw another 100 toward 591, figure if that gets through we'll at least have a court battle to delay it.

If the fuckers really wanted background checks, they could have went to the right gun people and at least written a law that isn't meant to destroy the 2A and penalize the vast majority of gun owners. It would have passed without hardly a fight. Can't say I'd be for it myself, but this thing is just sickening.
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 4:45:48 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Thanks for the positive feedback from everyone else, though!

View Quote

Hope you kick ass today.  I'm glad all I could do was nitpick your previous show.  Again I'd like to say I was overly harsh in my initial criticism.  Thanks.

Randy
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 7:05:50 PM EDT
[#43]
My understanding is that I will be responding to a person who, I believe, sold a firearm to a felon.   My assumption is that it was done to prove a political point, but I really don't know.  I have very little ground intel.
View Quote

why in the world was that felon not in jail? if they are dangerous to the public they should be in prison. letting him out so he could try to acquire firearms was the root cause and the failure of the system.
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 10:19:58 PM EDT
[#44]
I heard the first part of the show, then I was with a customer until 5:55 so I missed most of it.

First of all I forgot Shapiro is off for Sukkot. So there was a back-up host.

The first segment was just Westneat's idiotic article..Any here it is:

http://www.ktth.com/listen/9978002#

http://www.ktth.com/listen/9978002#

Link Posted: 10/10/2014 4:57:49 AM EDT
[#45]
I thought this show was less informative than the previous one linked above.  It would have been much nicer if Brett Bass had more of a chance to talk.  Much of the program was taken up with host chit-chat, phone calls and 594 ads.  Nice job describing the limitations of the exceptions.  Really exposed how restrictive those exceptions are.

Randy
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 7:44:01 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I thought this show was less informative than the previous one linked above.  It would have been much nicer if Brett Bass had more of a chance to talk.  Much of the program was taken up with host chit-chat, phone calls and 594 ads.  Nice job describing the limitations of the exceptions.  Really exposed how restrictive those exceptions are.

Randy
View Quote

Agree. I wish Ben would have been there!!!
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 11:02:21 AM EDT
[#47]
Are 594 proponents getting scared?

With the NRA kicking rocks and bloomturd throwing another $100m at 594, that extra cash seems unnecessary if they felt they had it in the bag. Plus I'm seeing more and more No On 594 than a month or so ago. Has the NRA just gotten lazy or do they think grassroots is going to carry the weight?
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 5:39:04 PM EDT
[#48]
I don't know I'm kind of pissed aside from some free signs and the website they put up, haven't seen hardly anything from them. Yeah I guess they bought a billboard or two, but I want TV commercials. Maybe they're waiting to do a blitz at the last minute, who knows. I've put all my donation money toward 591...
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 5:59:20 PM EDT
[#49]
There is the school of thought that that NRA in this state is not a good household name given the propensity of people here to suck up all the (D) drivel. Just as we use Bloomberg as a net negative.
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 6:21:18 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 15
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top