Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/2/2014 9:15:15 PM EDT
This is going to be my first year hunting elk, I'm near olympia... What do I need to know?
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 9:24:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 10:06:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote

I've read that a thousand times over lol. The main thing I'm wondering about is where... Where I'm from it's very obvious what is public hunting land and what isn't, here I'm not so sure. I want to check out the centralia mine but WHERE?
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 11:41:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Post over on hunting-Washington.com. Many more hunters there.
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 6:10:19 AM EDT
[#4]
There is lots of public land out here, USFS, BLM, etc. Best bang for your buck while you're learning the area is the Delorme atlas. It shows public land boundaries. For more detail the Green Trails maps are good.

IIRC Sportsman's warehouse carries the GMU maps.

There's a new map product called Hunt Maps, which is supposed to show private land ownership. They have a few options, either run in google earth for planning or on your GPS. I'm planning to pick that up this year
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 9:10:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Awesome, thanks guys
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 3:31:36 PM EDT
[#6]
I got the hunt maps on SD card.

It shows public & private land and the name of private owner.

The chip is in my GPS while hunting, and in my computer for planning/snooping for new areas.
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 4:20:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I got the hunt maps on SD card.

It shows public & private land and the name of private owner.

The chip is in my GPS while hunting, and in my computer for planning/snooping for new areas.
View Quote

Used it today on my phone, awesome app... Realized I should have brought my compass when I was wondering if somebody's horses were on public land or I'm in private land...
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 7:05:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Good luck.  Just be flexible on your plans. I've gone scouting a week prior to the start of the season and come opening day some gates were locked or suddenly found no sign of elk, of which there were ten the week before.
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 9:31:01 PM EDT
[#9]
my family hunts out around ellensburg, we've been hunting there since the 70's. it's mostly about drinking and hanging out since it's about hunted out.
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 7:57:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
my family hunts out around ellensburg, we've been hunting there since the 70's. it's mostly about drinking and hanging out since it's about hunted out.
View Quote

Sure it is.
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 9:10:01 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Sure it is.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sure it is.

sure what is?

for what they do and the area they hunt in they maybe bring home two elk a year where as before they'd get quite a bit more. They just dont see the elk like they used to.
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 10:34:10 AM EDT
[#12]
Last year I was within 50 yards of 1,000+ elk over the course of 7 days.  We were anywhere from 1/2 mile to 2 miles off of the main drag.  Of the 12 elk I've taken, the bulk have been in Kittitas County.   The group I shot my spike out of had over 200 animals in it.
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 11:48:31 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Last year I was within 50 yards of 1,000+ elk over the course of 7 days.  We were anywhere from 1/2 mile to 2 miles off of the main drag.  Of the 12 elk I've taken, the bulk have been in Kittitas County.   The group I shot my spike out of had over 200 animals in it.
View Quote

very nice, like i said, the area my family hunts in. it ends up being mostly the place they hunt because they've been doing it for a long damn time and its a way to reconnect with those long gone.

my first post was misleadingly written.
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 12:57:50 PM EDT
[#14]
No worries.  Lots of animals north and south, but also lots of people.
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 10:51:27 PM EDT
[#15]
My little Brother and I  used to have decent luck on Wherehouser <Yea I know spelling> land south of a little town called Pelel ( Pee L) <spelling again> and up by the Ape Cave's around Cougar and Mt.St Helens. It USED to be if the gate were open you could drive, if the gate were locked then you had to hoof it. But I have NO idea if the land is still open for hunting. We were always into elk during Archery season. SCOUTING is the Key to being successful. Hope this helped a little.

BT
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 8:39:53 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
My little Brother and I  used to have decent luck on Wherehouser <Yea I know spelling> land south of a little town called Pelel ( Pee L) <spelling again> and up by the Ape Cave's around Cougar and Mt.St Helens. It USED to be if the gate were open you could drive, if the gate were locked then you had to hoof it. But I have NO idea if the land is still open for hunting. We were always into elk during Archery season. SCOUTING is the Key to being successful. Hope this helped a little.

BT
View Quote

I'll look into it, thanks!
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 2:42:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

BT
View Quote

PeEll tree farm is paid permit entry only as of last year.
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 8:59:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

BT

Figures...... I told my lil Brother 25 years ago, that before long Hunting is going to be a pay-to-play deal for everyone. It seems to be coming true a bit sooner than I expected. One of the reasons I have quit giving my money to WDFW. Well I hope the OP pays his dues Scouting, cuz thats what puts the animals on the ground. IMHO

BT
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 9:12:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Figures...... I told my lil Brother 25 years ago, that before long Hunting is going to be a pay-to-play deal for everyone. It seems to be coming true a bit sooner than I expected. One of the reasons I have quit giving my money to WDFW. Well I hope the OP pays his dues Scouting, cuz thats what puts the animals on the ground. IMHO

BT
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

BT

BT

I found a ton of sign last weekend, going again monday during hunting hours to see if I can see them on the path to their water source
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 2:41:54 PM EDT
[#20]
My hunting partner and I are heading back up into the woods to scout tomorrow just before it gets light, I'm getting excited! It's been years since I've hunted an archery season, and I'm just getting back into it this year. I've been at the range a ton, and have gone to a few 3D shoots, It's amazing how quickly you pick it back up. Just a couple more weeks till the Elk opener...I can't wait
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 3:52:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I've read that a thousand times over lol. The main thing I'm wondering about is where... Where I'm from it's very obvious what is public hunting land and what isn't, here I'm not so sure. I want to check out the centralia mine but WHERE?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

You will need to be VERY careful around the Centralia mine. The area around the steam plant is all posted No trespassing/No hunting. The game wardens also patrol out there. I just moved from that area. There is a herd there, but they know the areas that are safe. That said, if you go over by the Johnson creek road be sure to check out the game management maps. There is an area around the dam that has decent deer hunting and some elk as well. Mainly under the power lines.
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 8:53:08 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
My hunting partner and I are heading back up into the woods to scout tomorrow just before it gets light, I'm getting excited! It's been years since I've hunted an archery season, and I'm just getting back into it this year. I've been at the range a ton, and have gone to a few 3D shoots, It's amazing how quickly you pick it back up. Just a couple more weeks till the Elk opener...I can't wait
View Quote

Let us know how it went! I'm doing the same tomorrow
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 8:53:36 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

You will need to be VERY careful around the Centralia mine. The area around the steam plant is all posted No trespassing/No hunting. The game wardens also patrol out there. I just moved from that area. There is a herd there, but they know the areas that are safe. That said, if you go over by the Johnson creek road be sure to check out the game management maps. There is an area around the dam that has decent deer hunting and some elk as well. Mainly under the power lines.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks, I'll look into it!
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 1:01:23 PM EDT
[#24]
Good Luck Spec4.....My Brother and I used to hunt Geese at the steam plant, but we had to sign up after the "Employees" of the plant, got first pick, so it was hit or miss at best. There "WAS" a herd or two that hung around but as was stated before, They know were its safe to be and not, and generally would only come out at "0-DarkThirty"......

The land South of PeEll was were we got into elk all the time, even successful a couple of times.But alas, it appears to be a Pay unit now. There must be other land around there for a guy to hunt............

Have you looked around the Ape Caves, South of Mt.St.Helens??? There WAS good access and a decent # of elk, 10 years ago, but???? Now, my knowledge of the area is probably not so great. Keep at it and keep the faith.

I wish I could be more help. We used to burn tons of fuel and weekends scouting and it sounds like that's what your doing. Keep us in the loop how you do. Remember "Picture's or it Didn't happen".....LOL
Good luck and I hope you can TopPin one.......

BT

ETA: In "Our" experience, go easy on the Bull calling. We a a Bunch more success just using cow calls. And watch that wind..........
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 6:11:45 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Good Luck Spec4.....My Brother and I used to hunt Geese at the steam plant, but we had to sign up after the "Employees" of the plant, got first pick, so it was hit or miss at best. There "WAS" a herd or two that hung around but as was stated before, They know were its safe to be and not, and generally would only come out at "0-DarkThirty"......

The land South of PeEll was were we got into elk all the time, even successful a couple of times.But alas, it appears to be a Pay unit now. There must be other land around there for a guy to hunt............

Have you looked around the Ape Caves, South of Mt.St.Helens??? There WAS good access and a decent # of elk, 10 years ago, but???? Now, my knowledge of the area is probably not so great. Keep at it and keep the faith.

I wish I could be more help. We used to burn tons of fuel and weekends scouting and it sounds like that's what your doing. Keep us in the loop how you do. Remember "Picture's or it Didn't happen".....LOL
Good luck and I hope you can TopPin one.......

BT

ETA: In "Our" experience, go easy on the Bull calling. We a a Bunch more success just using cow calls. And watch that wind..........
View Quote

Thanks! I'm taking the camera and the kiddo with me tomorrow so if I can keep him quiet enough to get in camera range I'll post it here. And calling isn't my style... I use it as a last resort only. Too much risk of blowing a call and ruining the day!
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 10:32:55 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
This is going to be my first year hunting elk, I'm near olympia... What do I need to know?
View Quote

I put my camp in a bag, on my back. Hike at least 3 miles deep - off and away from the closest forest road, set up camp, then hike 2 miles out from the closest trail.
Usually run into some Elk :)

Mt Adams.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top