Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/25/2014 9:45:14 AM EDT
Hi all,

I'm planning to visit my brother who recently moved up to Tacoma, in a couple of months, and was wondering if there's any good ranges in the area?  Ideally I'd like to find a place where I could stretch the legs of my M40A3 (or my OBR 7.62).  As I'm unfamiliar with the surroundings, I'm wondering if any of you good folk could throw me a recommendation or two?  I would have no problem driving a couple of hours to any location that would fit the bill.

Thanks
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 2:52:39 PM EDT
[#1]
For rifle ranges in Tacoma (and the immediately surrounding bedroom communities):

It has one public outdoor range.  Tacoma Sportsmens (200 yd public range).  
It has two membership outdoor ranges.  Paul Bunyan & Tacoma Rifle & Revolver.

The greater surrounding area for public rifle ranges have Renton Fish & Game Club (200yd), Black Diamond Gun Club (open to public on specific days, unk distances), Cascade Shooting Facilities (formerly Cascade Rifle And Pistol Club - looks open to public on every other Saturday, unk distances.), Evergreen Sportsmans Club in Littlerock (unk distances), Kitsap Rifle & Revolver (unk distances)...

There are plenty of places to shoot "in the hills" if you'd rather plink in a dirt pit, etc...

There are several members-only clubs in addition to the above that, if you find a member, can get you in for some guest shooting...  (Capital City Gun Club, Upper Nisqually Sportsmans Club (which may have some public-open days.... it keeps changing)

As with any range, call ahead.  Make sure they're open, open to the public and have an RSO on duty where needed - nothing more frustrating than packing up all the gear, making the trip and finding out "Todd" didn't show and without an RSO, no shooting is allowed at Range X.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 3:18:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks so much for the response, mordecai.

Truth be told, I'd be much more interested in finding a place to "shoot in the hills".  I find it to be so much more relaxing.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 4:38:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Haha - well take your pick.  Be aware of any fire-closures, etc... but you have more National Forest, State Forest and Private Timber than you can shake a stick at...
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 4:50:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Haha - well take your pick.  Be aware of any fire-closures, etc... but you have more National Forest, State Forest and Private Timber than you can shake a stick at...
View Quote

Thanks again. The idea of shooting in National/State forests is so foreign to us in Hawaii. Do that here, and your ass would be going to jail.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 5:07:15 PM EDT
[#5]
At the Upper Nisqually Gun Club, in Eatonville,  you can shoot out to 600 yards.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 6:44:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
At the Upper Nisqually Gun Club, in Eatonville,  you can shoot out to 600 yards.
View Quote

Thanks Stumps. I'll look into this as well.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 7:47:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Range 15 out on Ft Lewis is a possibility.

Link Posted: 7/27/2014 12:13:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Range 15 out on Ft Lewis is a possibility.

View Quote

A damn good range, you can go out to 300 yds. I hit the gong routinely with my M1D and with the irons on my M1903 Springfield.

I really need to get out to the hills for some fun.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top