Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/9/2014 1:35:27 PM EDT
Friend at work has an older century arms clone with headspace problems. Told him I'd jump in here and ask for him.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 2:33:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Friend at work has an older century arms clone with headspace problems. Told him I'd jump in here and ask for him.
View Quote

Is it an HK or cetme? If its a cetme going to be hard to find parts.
With it being a century, problem might be a ground bolt.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 7:16:52 PM EDT
[#2]
If rollers or any other available parts can't fix the issue; there was a company I remember from the WAC shows that might help. According to their website, they offer build services for AK's, FAL's, and HK/G3's. If re-pressing the barrel is needed at least they'll have a good chance at the resources. I've never used them; but it's the only lead I can think of. They are located in Renton also, so a phone call first might save some headache and fuel.
http://blackwellindustries.com/index.html
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 4:48:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Fuck Blackwell.

My experiences with those assfucked shitstains in 2007.

http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=8&f=15&t=259800

2/24/2007 9:01:06 AM PDT
They suck and I will never deal with them again.

I dropped off my PTR91 with blackwell at a Monroe gunshow to have the barrel threaded so I could install a Phantom flash hider.
I was told that it would take 4-6 weeks and it would cost $260.

I called them 4 weeks later to see what was going on with the rifle and I was told that there was a problem.

Their gunsmith had upped his price to $310 because he was going to have to basicly "build a PTR" in order to thread the barrel, and that "someone" should have contacted me.

This did not make me too happy, but I figured that Blackwell had already had my PTR91 for 4 weeks, so I would be getting my rifle back in two weeks (4-6 weeks), so I was willing to pay the extra $50 to get it done.

When I asked when it would be done I was told that it would be finished in 6-8 weeks.

Now motherfucking hell, I gave them my business based on what my fellow WA Hometown Forum buddies told me about blackwell, but fuck me, for them not to uphold their fucking WORD about finishing my rifle in "4-6 weeks" and then for them to tell me it would be an additional "6-8 weeks" because THEY FUCKING DROPPED THE BALL is complete fucking horse shit.

They didn't have the fucking integrity to stand behind their word (A mans word is his bond) and "make it right" by getting my barrel threaded within the originally promised time frame after THEY dropped the ball says volumes about their position and commitment on and to customer service.

When I called blackwell on this I was given the typical weasel response "We don't need your money".

Fuck'em, I called around and found that Derek at Arizona Expert Arms would thread my barrel, recrown it and send it back for $161 and it would be done in 2 days was good enough for me.

And you know what? Derek and AZX kept their word with no bullshit.
If I need any gunsmithing done they get my business.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 7:00:59 AM EDT
[#4]
What the hell did he mean he would have to "build a PTR" just to thread the barrel?
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 7:10:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You refering to the base kit it was made from? I think he said its an HK kit. He didn't show up for work today but I'll ask him when he does.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 8:51:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Fuck Blackwell.

My experiences ...[snip]
View Quote

Wow. Fuck em then.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 9:06:49 PM EDT
[#7]
I would try Tom Liemohn in Kent.  He has the jigs to work on HK 90-series rifles.  

His e-mail is "[email protected]".

Tim
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 11:00:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
What the hell did he mean he would have to "build a PTR" just to thread the barrel?
View Quote

He told me that he would have to disassemble the upper to put the barrel in a lathe to thread it.

AZX told me to send only the upper, that he had a jig that he puts it in to thread the barrel.
No disassembly required.

Link Posted: 4/14/2014 8:24:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Wow, what kind of professional gunsmith doesn't have the die & tat/pilot to thread a muzzle without a lathe?
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 9:03:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Actually, a lathe thread is the professional way to thread. Also, doing work on an HK in not a job for just any smith. As it's a roller locking system and head spaces from the gap at the rear of bolt and carrier. The info about Century grinding the rear of bolt heads is correct regarding some models of the CETME. If that is the problem. The rifle would need a new bolt head and the barrel re-pressed to obtain a correct gap. Which involves taking the barrel off, the front sight mount off, rotating the whole barrel at least 45 degrees and pressing to correct gap. Drilling a new barrel pin way through the trunnion and barrel and pinning it. Then mounting the front sight in the correct location for accuracy and the cocking tube to function. Many of the demilled kits that Century used trimmed cocking tubes shorter than spec so it's a crap shoot if it needs replacing too. They are a pain as kits and parts ten years ago were less than $100 but are now non existent or $600+. If the rifle is not a ground bolt problem. Changing the 8mm locking rollers for a + or - set may solve the problem. I have used RTG www.robertrtg.com/ for many years. Rollers in 8mm work in CETME's and HK 91 and 93's, MP5's and their clones.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 6:39:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Actually, a lathe thread is the professional way to thread.
View Quote

A professional gunsmith can do it either way.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top