Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/9/2014 11:50:45 AM EDT
Rix and I met with Representative Jinkins this morning.  We were scheduled for 10:00 to 10:15, but she ran ten minutes long on the meeting prior to ours and we took up at least 20 minutes of her time.  She was in no hurry to get rid of us; that was her aide’s job.  :)  To make a long story short Ms. Jinkins said she had no intention of giving HB1561 a hearing prior to the meeting, but she is willing to consider it as a result of the meeting.  This is why we need to talk to our Representatives guys and gals.

Her main concern was that this bill practically affects very few people (based on the support it is getting now I’d agree) and it allows more access to more kinds of guns.  She has also not heard a thing from the police on the bill.  This is why she is not committed to scheduling it for a hearing at this time.

We discussed how the bill merely brings state law into line with federal law, the requirements for obtaining ATF authorization to make or buy an SBR and the low (nearly non-existent) crime rate associated with them.  We explained that everyone with a rifle and a hacksaw has ready access to a contraband SBR, but it is still very rare that anyone is willing to use SBR’s to commit a violent crime.  We also discussed the reasons why SBR’s were banned in 1994 and I gave her copies of Judge Appelwick’s letters.  I also gave her copies of WACOPS e-mail expressing their support and a synopsis of the 1994 bill banning SBR’s.

Right now she plans on limiting the House Judiciary Committee to hearing two gun bills; the background check bill and the safe storage bill.  We discussed both bills briefly; I told her why I felt the background check bill/initiative would fail.  I was not prepared to discuss the safe storage bill other than to say that if I was the parent of a teenager and concerned enough to ask his/her friend’s parents about how they secured their guns I would indeed ask.  And if they took offense to my asking then I would need to get better friends.

Representative Jinkins asked me to provide her with the following data.  I need help with this.

1.  SBR crime rate data from other states.
2.  Opinions of gun control groups such as Washington Alliance for Gun Responsibility, Cease Fire WA and others.

What we also need is for any police officers who are interested in seeing restrictions on SBR’s eased to contact Representative Jinkins by phone, mail or e-mail.  It is extremely important that we get some sort of police support for this.

If anyone here knows anyone at WACOPS, please ask them to contact Jinkins office and tell her why they need HB1561 to pass.  Thanks.

Randy Bragge
[email protected]
(360) 440-5889
Link Posted: 1/9/2014 2:04:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Thanks Randy
Link Posted: 1/9/2014 3:06:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Thank you :)
Link Posted: 1/9/2014 6:13:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Thank you good sir!  I will be sure to email my Senator and both Reps know about your meeting.  I've sent emails to all 3 and they have been very supportive of this issue.

Edit: Just sent the emails.  2 were to Scott and Pearson asking to support the House and Senate bill.  I also had to thank Kristiansen for already being a co-sponsor for 1561!
Link Posted: 1/9/2014 8:11:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks Randy!
Link Posted: 1/10/2014 10:22:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Strong work.
Link Posted: 1/10/2014 10:21:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Impressive once again.
Link Posted: 1/14/2014 4:40:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Sent this today. Lots of us would like to see this pass....for everyone.

Representative Jinkins,
I’m writing you in regards to HB1561, a bill that would allow short barreled rifles to be owned by individuals in Washington who are in compliance with federal law. As a police officer and a firearms instructor for my department and other local agencies, I’d like to give you my perspective on how this bill would affect law enforcement if passed.

While short barreled weapons are authorized in Washington State for on duty law enforcement officers, they must be purchased by their agency. Unfortunately most agencies in our state who authorize officers to carry rifles cannot afford to purchase those firearms for their employees, budgets are tight. This leaves the burden on the individual officer to provide this valuable equipment. The rifle is more precise, easier to shoot accurately and has very little recoil. We encourage officers to use rifles during building searches because the high speed, lightweight projectile breaks up when passing through an intermediate barrier such as interior wall board. These factors make the rifle the safest weapon system we employ, especially for our members who are smaller of stature.

Currently individual officers are governed by the same firearms purchasing laws as civilians, and rightfully so.  If we want a rifle in our car it has to be a full length weapon. Our patrol vehicles are shrinking in our efforts to improve fuel economy. The interiors are cramped with computers, printers, radios, GPS systems and first aid gear. There is very little room for a full length rifle and, if we can fit one between the seats, it is difficult to get out in a hurry if it is needed. A reduction in even 4-5” in length would make for a much more accessible tool that we depend on to protect ourselves and others.

I know the access to weapons is a very hot issue these days. From a law enforcement standpoint, I do not want to see firearms in the hands of criminals or the unstable. Luckily, short barreled rifles are rarely used illegally. Current federal law would require background checks and fingerprinting. The Chief Law Enforcement Officer in the jurisdiction in which the owner lived would have to sign off on their possession. There is also an added cost associated with the federal tax stamp that is required to purchase the firearm. These factors make the ownership of a short barreled rifle a commitment and an investment that motivate individuals to keep them secure. Finding stats on crime committed with these federally registered weapons is difficult because it is extremely rare.

In closing, please give this bill your support and encourage others to do so.

Thank you,
Link Posted: 1/14/2014 5:41:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Damn fine letter.  We just need a few dozen more like it.

Randy
Link Posted: 1/14/2014 11:27:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Randy
View Quote

Would it be more beneficial to send her a letter electronically or by mail?
Link Posted: 1/14/2014 11:46:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Randy

I think we're running short on time for snail mail?

Especially from Libya.
Link Posted: 1/15/2014 12:09:41 PM EDT
[#11]
E-mail is fine.  Be sure to include your contact info, address and phone number.

Randy
Link Posted: 1/16/2014 10:37:14 AM EDT
[#12]
Senator Padden’s office called me to say that the SBR bill (SB5956) will be scheduled for a hearing next week on Wednesday or Friday.  It is very important that we have some sort of police presence at the hearing to support the bill.  While an individual like myself can say “I believe this” or I believe that”, nothing beats a police officer who tells the committee members why the police need SBR’s.

I can give a ride to one or two people on the day of the hearings to Olympia.  Please call me to set up a ride.  I will be driving from Belfair.

Randy Bragge
[email protected]
(360) 440-5889
Link Posted: 1/23/2014 10:33:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Bump!
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 6:47:49 AM EDT
[#14]
Dangit I wish I didn't have to work.

Meh, you wouldn't want me there anyways, I'd jinx the whole thing. I have to stay uninvolved and remain nonchalant about it. Otherwise the universe will take notice and dash my hopes, along with yours as collateral damage.
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 10:59:06 AM EDT
[#15]
Take off the mask for the meeting and you'll do just fine dude.  :)

Randy
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 8:48:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Senator Padden’s office called me to say that the SBR bill (SB5956) will be scheduled for a hearing next week on Wednesday or Friday.  It is very important that we have some sort of police presence at the hearing to support the bill.  While an individual like myself can say “I believe this” or I believe that”, nothing beats a police officer who tells the committee members why the police need SBR’s.

I can give a ride to one or two people on the day of the hearings to Olympia.  Please call me to set up a ride.  I will be driving from Belfair.

Randy Bragge
[email protected]
(360) 440-5889
View Quote

Randy I know you posted this in the other thread but I thought I'd repost it here as well...

Law & Justice* -  01/31/14  8:00 am
Full Committee
Senate Hearing Rm 2
J.A. Cherberg Building
Olympia, WA

REVISED on 1/24/2014 at 10:09 AM

Public Hearing:  
SJR 8215 - Amending the state Constitution so that only persons who are qualified voters in a county are elected or appointed to the office of judge of the superior court for that county.
SB 5956 - Concerning short-barreled rifles.
SB 6198 - Protecting sport shooting ranges.
SB 6066 - Allowing for the restoration of firearms rights under certain conditions.
SB 6433 - Prohibiting discrimination by an individual or entity on the basis of creed.
SB 6310 - Clarifying the retention of biological material collected during criminal investigation.
SB 6118 - Protecting citizens from the application of foreign laws that would result in a violation of a constitutional right.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 11:47:00 AM EDT
[#17]
She has scheduled 15 minutes for the hearing on the bill.  If the other two firearms related bills run short, there may be additional time.  If they run long, time may be minimal.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 10:27:08 PM EDT
[#18]
A lot of antis like to compare our gun laws to the UK

Perhaps pointing out that barrel length is unregulated there may be an effective tactic.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 10:35:05 PM EDT
[#19]
So did the SBR bill come up?
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 11:41:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
So did the SBR bill come up?
View Quote

Yes, but it was given minimal time. Had five or so people speak for it. None against. The speakers did very well. It was however a low turn out of people.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 11:44:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Heres what happened today for those that missed. 4 people spoke, myself included. Randy correct me where I am wrong, we spoke to the House. From here we need to put ( according to Joe Waldron ) pressure , read as e-mails and phone calls, to your representatives to bring this up for a vote.

From the senate side, we are doing the same thing from the Senate. We will testify on Friday, and  we need as many people as possible ( again) to show up and support the bill. Introducing it from both sides gives it two chances and if it succeeds in one body, the other will already know about the bill.  

So for now, we REALLY need to see if we can get this House Bill up for a vote. If that happens passage in the senate will be much easier.
Link Posted: 2/5/2014 11:54:04 AM EDT
[#22]
I have had everyone I know and their souses/SO's email all their reps and comment on the bill.

I shared it via word of mouth.

I posted it to FB and tagged all my Wa state friends as well.

Doing what I can on my end!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top