Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 23
Link Posted: 2/20/2014 3:33:24 PM EDT
[#1]
There is a reason why it is called politics.  Everyone has a pet bill or three that they want to see passed.  Did anyone ever hear what Senator Kline said on the floor about HB 1016 (silencer bill) in 2011?  He actually said, "I urge this body to show this bill a lot of love".  The Senator Kline we all know would never say that unless he had something to gain.  Someone probably persuaded Kline to give the silencer bill a hearing and then push it along through the Senate.  I was at the hearing back then and he only wanted to hear from one person that signed in.  As it turns out it was probably a done deal as soon as he agreed to give the billl a hearing.  Later on I asked Representative Blake what kind of deal he made with Senator Kline to get that kind of support.  He said, "nothing".  

Of course Blake is not going to let me in on what's going on behind closed doors in Olympia.  Until I get elected (that is, never) to office, I'm probably not going to find out either.  What I'm trying to say is what Dawgfish said, it isn't over yet.

Randy
Link Posted: 2/20/2014 5:12:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/20/2014 5:48:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/20/2014 6:12:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I hope they can get this shit figured out behind the scenes and get the bill a hearing.

Kinda just ruined my whole day.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Jinkins just sent me an email and said this bill will not be heard, as others have taken priority.

I hope they can get this shit figured out behind the scenes and get the bill a hearing.

It is being worked on.
Link Posted: 2/20/2014 6:48:27 PM EDT
[#5]
I know for a fact that numerous LEOs have contacted her over the last few days urging for a hearing.

I was initially told by her she would make sure it gets a hearing. Then today, she shat upon my Cheerios.
Link Posted: 2/20/2014 7:26:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

It is being worked on.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Jinkins just sent me an email and said this bill will not be heard, as others have taken priority.

It is being worked on.

^this - keep writing your reps, it's not over yet.
Link Posted: 2/21/2014 12:00:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Wrote to my reps this evening.  Exciting stuff!
Link Posted: 2/21/2014 12:05:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Seems crazy that Jinkins can essentially "veto" a bill that passed the Senate already by not allowing a hearing. Or am I not seeing this correctly?
Link Posted: 2/21/2014 1:41:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Seems crazy that Jinkins can essentially "veto" a bill that passed the Senate already by not allowing a hearing. Or am I not seeing this correctly?
View Quote

In a sense, yes.

I find it frustrating that she emails me one day and says she will MAKE SURE it gets a hearing.  Then the very next morning, emails me and tells me it won't be heard because it's not enough of a priority.
Link Posted: 2/21/2014 3:58:33 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

In a sense, yes.

I find it frustrating that she emails me one day and says she will MAKE SURE it gets a hearing.  Then the very next morning, emails me and tells me it won't be heard because it's not enough of a priority.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In a sense, yes.

Link Posted: 2/21/2014 12:37:17 PM EDT
[#11]
I just got a WALEG Committee Agenda Update, SB 5956 is scheduled for a public hearing on 2/26 at 3:30 pm.  The executive hearing for other bills is scheduled at the same time.  In the past I've seen an executive hearing for a bill done right after a public hearing, so it is possible for the bill to get a pass recommendation on the 26th.  Thank you Representative Blake.

If you can be there, please do so.  If anyone wants to carpool to Olympia from the Belfair Bremerton area, I can take two people with me.

Randy
Link Posted: 2/21/2014 2:19:37 PM EDT
[#12]
I'll be there.
Link Posted: 2/21/2014 4:24:04 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm in. I will pass the word.
Link Posted: 2/21/2014 4:55:59 PM EDT
[#14]
I'll be there. Where exactly is the hearing taking place?
Link Posted: 2/21/2014 5:09:05 PM EDT
[#15]
John L O'Brien Bldg, House hearing room A.

Dress respectably.  You don't have to speak if you don't want to, but at least sign up for the bill outside, stating that you support it.
Link Posted: 2/21/2014 6:08:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Dress respectably.  You don't have to speak if you don't want to, but at least sign up for the bill outside, stating that you support it.
View Quote

Is there anyone here active on WAguns forum? Perhaps it would be a good idea to cross post this information there as well. Someone active there would probably have more success than me signing up just for a single post.
Link Posted: 2/21/2014 6:18:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

Should I wear my finest matching camouflage, or is it more of a Daisy Dukes and cut off t shirt kind of event?
Link Posted: 2/21/2014 7:10:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:Should I wear my finest matching camouflage, or is it more of a Daisy Dukes and cut off t shirt kind of event?
View All Quotes
Quoted:Should I wear my finest matching camouflage, or is it more of a Daisy Dukes and cut off t shirt kind of event?

I'm not kidding when I insist that Daisy Dukes are preferable to camo.  

Quoted:Is there anyone here active on WAguns forum? Perhaps it would be a good idea to cross post this information there as well. Someone active there would probably have more success than me signing up just for a single post.

I cross post on WAGuns.org, Seattleguns.net, NorthwestFirearms.com, PNWGuns.com, Saiga forum and SilencerTalk.com

On page 8 I have directions and a small map showing the hearing buildings that are south of the capital building.  Map of Capital

Randy
Link Posted: 2/21/2014 7:28:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I cross post on WAGuns.org, Seattleguns.net, NorthwestFirearms.com, PNWGuns.com, Saiga forum and SilencerTalk.com

On page 8 I have directions and a small map showing the hearing buildings that are south of the capital building.  Map of Capital

Randy
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:Is there anyone here active on WAguns forum? Perhaps it would be a good idea to cross post this information there as well. Someone active there would probably have more success than me signing up just for a single post.

Randy

Wow, you're all over it.
Link Posted: 2/21/2014 11:24:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:Wow, you're all over it.
View Quote

Unless I'm going to a hearing or meeting with a legislator, most of what I do to support passing this bill is sitting on my butt and typing on the keyboard.  It's an amazing internet out there.  :)

Randy
Link Posted: 2/21/2014 11:33:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Unless I'm going to a hearing or meeting with a legislator, most of what I do to support passing this bill is sitting on my butt and typing on the keyboard.  It's an amazing internet out there.  :)

Randy
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:Wow, you're all over it.

Randy

This place needs a fucking "Like" button.
Link Posted: 2/22/2014 12:20:18 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Randy
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Randy

Just so we're clear, under no circumstances should any camo, NRA hats, Gadsden flags, or AR15 signs be anywhere near that building on the day of the hearing. We want "parents, teachers, and engineers" to be there supporting the bill, not "hicks, rednecks, and gun nuts".
Link Posted: 2/22/2014 2:58:41 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Just so we're clear, under no circumstances should any camo, NRA hats, Gadsden flags, or AR15 signs be anywhere near that building on the day of the hearing. We want "parents, teachers, and engineers" to be there supporting the bill, not "hicks, rednecks, and gunnuts".
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Randy

Just so we're clear, under no circumstances should any camo, NRA hats, Gadsden flags, or AR15 signs be anywhere near that building on the day of the hearing. We want "parents, teachers, and engineers" to be there supporting the bill, not "hicks, rednecks, and gunnuts".

HEY!........

In my defense, I don't really wear camo too much anyway....just some cheap blob pattern hats I got from India, occasionally. And some cabelas pants that have perfect cargo pockets for a wallet and gi-freaking-gantic cell phone, when at work....
Link Posted: 2/22/2014 4:25:50 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Just so we're clear, under no circumstances should any camo, NRA hats, Gadsden flags, or AR15 signs be anywhere near that building on the day of the hearing. We want "parents, teachers, and engineers" to be there supporting the bill, not "hicks, rednecks, and gun nuts".
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Randy

HuskyKMA,

That is some really good advice and I hope that everybody will "think" BEFORE making an individual statement with wearing any type of military camo, or the paramilitary 511 type clothing, Gadsden flags, pro-guns/anti-government signs or doing the open carry of firearms on that day.  I'm pretty sure that there are plenty of people and/or groups who do not want to see this bill passed or even to see the light of day "AND" will use any photos/video showing that this is only supported by "hicks, rednecks and gun-nuts" to convince everybody else that this is a very bad ideal. I think that this is very close and has a good chance of passing, but I strongly believe in the law of averages and the law of 5%, which there will always be that percentage of people who will do whatever they what regardless of the end results.

Many people here put a lot of work into this and there is nothing wrong with presenting the image of a well mannered, average/everyday citizen to support them and all their efforts.

As a born and raised Washingtonian, I would love to see this passed and I will be flying home to take care of some family business and support this as much as possible since I will be retiring and moving back to Western Washington next year for good.  I will be wearing a coat and tie, but that's what I wear everyday for work anyway.  A group of parents, teachers, business people, engineers, skilled professional AND law enforcement members are seen as "diamonds" by most politicians since individuals from these professions do vote provide support ($$$) to their other efforts and reelections.  

By no means am I trying to tell anybody what to do, but simply saying that it doesn't hurt to think about the big picture.

As for me, I would love to SBR my HK-94, Uzi Carbine and my Colt AR-15/9mm next year!!    

Link Posted: 2/22/2014 9:32:43 AM EDT
[#25]
I dress in the same clothes I wear to work in the shipyard and I nerd myself up a bit with a few pens in my pocket.  If I owned a suit I would wear it.  I also trim my poor excuse for a beard or shave it all off.  I think I'll wear my pink plaid shirt again; that is all Ms. Jinkins has seen me in both times we ran into each other.

Randy
Link Posted: 2/22/2014 10:16:40 AM EDT
[#26]
Basically all I was trying to say was what was said above.  Leave the camo and gun/freedom/NRA related clothing at home that day.  It is not a day to make a statement with what you wear.

Representative Jinkins is vehemently against the NRA.  If you think it would be funny to get in her face by wearing that, please rethink that.  Humor is fine here. Leave it here.

I wear what I wear to work, slacks and a dress shirt.  Randy dresses appropriately as does Tom. Think. Please. Plain vanilla nerdy banker/engineer/machinist/(insert your job here).
Link Posted: 2/22/2014 1:32:52 PM EDT
[#27]
I hear you, I was just fooling around. But I understand that this is serious, and will dress accordingly.
Link Posted: 2/22/2014 7:13:25 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I think I'll wear my pink plaid shirt again
View Quote

Seriously, thanks for all the hard work on this one!  Work commitments keep me out of the state or I'd be there as well.
Link Posted: 2/22/2014 8:42:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I dress in the same clothes I wear to work in the shipyard and I nerd myself up a bit with a few pens in my pocket.  If I owned a suit I would wear it.  I also trim my poor excuse for a beard or shave it all off.  I think I'll wear my pink plaid shirt again; that is all Ms. Jinkins has seen me in both times we ran into each other.

Randy
View Quote

With all you've done... and if this gets passed. I have $100 to donate towards you getting a suit, and I am pretty sure a few other people around here will match that offer.
Link Posted: 2/22/2014 10:35:50 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

With all you've done... and if this gets passed. I have $100 to donate towards you getting a suit, and I am pretty sure a few other people around here will match that offer.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Randy

I'll pick up his team membership, bronze of course.
Link Posted: 2/22/2014 11:48:46 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:With all you've done... and if this gets passed. I have $100 to donate towards you getting a suit, and I am pretty sure a few other people around here will match that offer.
View Quote

I'm not really sure how much my efforts have made a difference.  I would like to think they have, but I just don't know.  If anyone gives me money for a suit I think I'll spend it on gunpowder instead.  Hahahahahaha.

Randy
Link Posted: 2/23/2014 2:17:53 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I'm not really sure how much my efforts have made a difference.  I would like to think they have, but I just don't know.  If anyone gives me money for a suit I think I'll spend it on gunpowder instead.  Hahahahahaha.

Randy
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:With all you've done... and if this gets passed. I have $100 to donate towards you getting a suit, and I am pretty sure a few other people around here will match that offer.

Randy

Or that first SBR tax stamp.
Link Posted: 2/23/2014 5:31:05 AM EDT
[#33]
Another round of emails sent.  

I contacted Representative Hunt and Wilcox.
Link Posted: 2/24/2014 12:30:14 AM EDT
[#34]
This is great progress!
Link Posted: 2/24/2014 4:06:38 AM EDT
[#35]
I might actually consider moving back to Washington if this passes...
Link Posted: 2/24/2014 10:38:06 AM EDT
[#36]
My wife is not a big fan of Western WA; it is too cold and rainy for her; she is from Thailand.  I had always planned on leaving the state in May 2023 (retirement from the shipyard) and dividing our time between MN (even more sucky gun laws, but home it is), Las Vegas and Thailand.  But since the gun laws are improving, I told my wife we might have to stay here and make it our "base of operations" between trips to more exotic lands.  She was not amused.

Randy
Link Posted: 2/24/2014 3:32:08 PM EDT
[#37]
I'm planning on heading down for the hearing... the wife might even come along as well since neither of us has ever had the experience before.
Link Posted: 2/24/2014 5:20:42 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I'm planning on heading down for the hearing... the wife might even come along as well since neither of us has ever had the experience before.
View Quote

Cool.  We could use some support.  Make sure you sign in and mark that you are in support of the bill.
Link Posted: 2/24/2014 5:38:15 PM EDT
[#39]
I received a reply email from Jinkins last night. She got my name wrong. Response was what I expected but I'm hoping she is being pressured by the amount of emails and calls.
Link Posted: 2/24/2014 8:12:28 PM EDT
[#40]
What was her response?
Link Posted: 2/24/2014 9:56:21 PM EDT
[#41]
No mention of the bill. Just asking if I spoke on behalf of my department or as an individual.
Link Posted: 2/24/2014 11:37:35 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Randy

IN !

You guys are also representing those of us who can not go in person ourselves.

Thank you for your service.  
Link Posted: 2/25/2014 1:10:51 AM EDT
[#43]
See you all there!!!
Link Posted: 2/25/2014 10:43:04 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
No mention of the bill. Just asking if I spoke on behalf of my department or as an individual.
View Quote

They all want to know if you are representing yourself or an organization; standard practise.  That is why I want to be able to say I represent more than myself.  The larger gun groups are not interested in having me, so I'm looking at smaller groups or even forming my own.

Randy
Link Posted: 2/25/2014 12:11:47 PM EDT
[#45]
So is tomorrow "D" day for this bill?
Link Posted: 2/25/2014 12:52:11 PM EDT
[#46]
Tommorrow is the hearing.  We need to get it out of committee by Friday and voted on by next Friday on the floor of the house, I believe.  That's my interpretation of the cut-off dates.  Anybody else?
Link Posted: 2/25/2014 2:28:54 PM EDT
[#47]
http://www.leg.wa.gov/legislature/pages/cutoff.aspx

February 28, 2014 Last day to read in committee reports from opposite house,

March 7, 2014* Last day to consider opposite house bills (5 p.m.)

March 13, 2014 Last day allowed for regular session under state constitution.
View Quote

This Friday to get an executive hearing and next Friday to get it passed on the House floor.  Hopefully Jinkins has the public hearing for 5956 first then includes it along with the rest of the bills scheduled for the executive hearing.

Randy
Link Posted: 2/25/2014 2:32:01 PM EDT
[#48]
Thanks for clarifying.
Link Posted: 2/25/2014 7:46:29 PM EDT
[#49]
I will be there for the hearing.

Remember if you are going to press the flesh with your representatives, and the people on the Rules Committee.  Even just stopping by their office and saying, Please vote this out of rules when it get there helps.

also for those that can not make it the link below can be used:

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/billinfo/summary.aspx?bill=5956 there is a link at the top to Comment on This Bill.
Link Posted: 2/26/2014 10:17:52 AM EDT
[#50]
This is the day guys! Wish I could be there. Good luck to those who are going!
Page / 23
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top