Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/18/2017 7:25:24 AM EDT
I was driving up route 28 the other day and had the opportunity to look up towards the nesting area (I know exactly where to look) and witness these two eaglets emerge from the hillside along with one of the parents to practice their flying. Sorry I have no actual footage to share as I was driving and the whole sequence only lasted about 7 or 8 seconds. Really awesome thing to see 3 eagles soaring in the air at once 

Below are some recent pics of the eaglets from a Trib article and a link to the article.

http://triblive.com/local/valleynewsdispatch/12494493-74/rock-face-along-route-28-is-a-training-ground-for-harmar-bald

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 9:46:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Very cool!  Last Wednesday actually I was driving to Pittsburgh from the eastern side of pa and had a eagle fly next to me for a while on the turnpike. It was like 10 seconds of just matching my speed. It was the first I've seen in a while.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 11:06:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Very cool!  Last Wednesday actually I was driving to Pittsburgh from the eastern side of pa and had a eagle fly next to me for a while on the turnpike. It was like 10 seconds of just matching my speed. It was the first I've seen in a while.
View Quote
Definitely cool to see them making a comeback.

The nesting pair of eagles that birthed the eaglets in this story have been inhabiting this area for 7 or 8 years IIRC. They've successfully birthed offspring almost every year. They actually didn't build their nest either. The nest was built by a pair of red tailed hawks that the eagles sparred with and chased away when they first arrived. You can see the nest very clearly on the cliff in the spring before all of the leaves on the trees bud. 
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 11:30:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Definitely cool to see them making a comeback.

The nesting pair of eagles that birthed the eaglets in this story have been inhabiting this area for 7 or 8 years IIRC. They've successfully birthed offspring almost every year. They actually didn't build their nest either. The nest was built by a pair of red tailed hawks that the eagles sparred with and chased away when they first arrived. You can see the nest very clearly on the cliff in the spring before all of the leaves on the trees bud. 
View Quote
Pretty neat! I wish it was closer!
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 7:17:55 PM EDT
[#4]
There is also a nesting pair with youngins at Canonsburg lake.
If you park in the lot on McDowell Lane, you can glass across the lake and watch their nest.  The Nest is on Private property, on a narrow private road and trespassing is frowned upon.

http://www.observer-reporter.com/20170323/x2018bird_nerdsx2019_are_flocking_to_see_canonburg_bald_eagles
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 5:01:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
If you park in the lot on McDowell Lane, you can glass across the lake and watch their nest.  The Nest is on Private property, on a narrow private road and trespassing is frowned upon.

http://www.observer-reporter.com/20170323/x2018bird_nerdsx2019_are_flocking_to_see_canonburg_bald_eagles
View Quote
Cool share! Hadn't heard of them to this point. 
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 6:48:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't tell anybody there's already enough traffic out there
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 1:07:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Im honestly surprised Richard Bazzy hasn't found a way to make a Ford commercial with the eagles yet.  He is a total mad man!
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 7:37:20 PM EDT
[#8]
I've been seeing them here in northern Fayette Nam along 982. Got a real close look at em when they were eating a deer carcass that was thrown out by Greenlick dam this past winter.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 8:13:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

turns out one of the young ones got fried on a power line last week.
the mom and the other young one is missing.
the father, they call him Banded dad he's in the area, but not on his nest.
the bid daddy eagle who sat on the eggs and fed the babies is sitting on the nest now.

in case you didn't know.  the Canonsburg lake female eagle mated with the male they call Banded dad.  hes an out of state eagle with a band. along came a much bigger male and he ran Banded dad off... took his mate and raised the young ones...  Banded dad would come back and try to take them all back and big daddy would fight him and win.

looks like just banded dad and big daddy are alone again on the lake waiting for a new female to join them.  gonna be a good fight next year.    MMA, Eagles on the Lake.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 8:22:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
turns out one of the young ones got fried on a power line last week.
the mom and the other young one is missing.
the father, they call him Banded dad he's in the area, but not on his nest.
the bid daddy eagle who sat on the eggs and fed the babies is sitting on the nest now.

in case you didn't know.  the Canonsburg lake female eagle mated with the male they call Banded dad.  hes an out of state eagle with a band. along came a much bigger male and he ran Banded dad off... took his mate and raised the young ones...  Banded dad would come back and try to take them all back and big daddy would fight him and win.

looks like just banded dad and big daddy are alone again on the lake waiting for a new female to join them.  gonna be a good fight next year.    MMA, Eagles on the Lake.
View Quote
Damn. Nature can be depressing.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 6:03:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 6:05:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 4:53:40 AM EDT
[#13]
Very cool
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top