Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/15/2017 6:19:38 AM EDT
Looking for some advice.

Will be in Philadelphia for a few days with the family (three teens) the second week of August.

What should we see?  I had planned liberty bell, independence hall, any other recommendations?  Great (cheap) places for the family to eat for "philly experience"?

Any other suggestions?

Also, will be towing 20' camper.  Would like to find safe place to camp for 5 days.  We are planning on 2 days in Philadelphia, then taking a bolt bus to NYC for 3 days (don't want to try manhattan with excursion towing a camper) so I am looking for a campground that will be pretty secure to leave the trailer in unsupervised for three days.

Another possibility is to find a secure parking place for the trailer for 5 days and just get a hotel, if someone knows a good place to do this.  So far this looks like the best place to do this:  http://campusparkandride.com/rv/

Thanks for the advice.
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 10:22:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Looking for some advice.

Will be in Philadelphia for a few days with the family (three teens) the second week of August.

What should we see?  I had planned liberty bell, independence hall, any other recommendations?  Great (cheap) places for the family to eat for "philly experience"?

Any other suggestions?

Also, will be towing 20' camper.  Would like to find safe place to camp for 5 days.  We are planning on 2 days in Philadelphia, then taking a bolt bus to NYC for 3 days (don't want to try manhattan with excursion towing a camper) so I am looking for a campground that will be pretty secure to leave the trailer in unsupervised for three days.

Another possibility is to find a secure parking place for the trailer for 5 days and just get a hotel, if someone knows a good place to do this.  So far this looks like the best place to do this:  http://campusparkandride.com/rv/

Thanks for the advice.
View Quote

Philadelphia sight seeing:

Independence Hall, Liberty Bell, National Constitution Center (this is a must see), The US Mint (this is also very very good).  You should plan ahead and get reservations for Indy Hall otherwise if you just show up it's doubtful you will be able to get the guided tour that actually lets you inside.

Eating in the area for a Philly experience, go to Reading Terminal Market which is 6 blocks up at 10th and Market.  Inside is a veritable treasure of Philly eats, my recommendation is DeNic's Roast Pork.  The lines are long if you show up at lunch time so either go early or mid afternoon.  Line will still be long, but you'll get a better chance of finding somewhere to sit.

That Campus Park and Ride place looks like your best bet.  The area isn't spectacular, but your within the city and easy access to all points.  

The Museum area is another very good place, Phila Museum of Art, Barnes Foundation Museum (this is great), and the Rodin Museum.  Easily can take all day.  We have a great Chinatown as well if you like Asian food.  

Food in center city isn't really "cheap", but both Reading Terminal and Chinatown will get you some good eats at reasonable prices.
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 1:38:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the info, particularly about reservations- I wouldn't have thought about that.
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 12:50:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Where u coming in from? I'm 45 min NE of philly (Berks county) and you could drop the camper here at my house. We have one here and live in a safe area with Sec cameras etc.
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 4:05:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Where u coming in from? I'm 45 min NE of philly (Berks county) and you could drop the camper here at my house. We have one here and live in a safe area with Sec cameras etc.
View Quote
that's the best deal ever.
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 4:20:18 PM EDT
[#5]
If you enjoy history and architecture you and your family will enjoy visiting The Grand Lodge of Pennsylvania.  Its located in the center of town close to the other historic attractions. There are personal items of George Washington and Benjamin Franklin and other notable men in its museum.  The admission charge is very low and the value of the visit is very high.  You will not see another building like this anywhere in the world.

https://pamasonictemple.org/temple/  There is a well done video, directions, hours and location on this page.

Enjoy your visit to Philly!
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 7:35:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
that's the best deal ever.
View Quote
It is a great deal, and I may take him up on it if the campus place doesn't pan out.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 6:56:53 PM EDT
[#7]
After the Center City stuff, Valley Forge National Park is about a 45 minute to an hour ride away.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 9:32:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Go to the Franklin Institute and see the Silence Dogood letters.   You may have to ask where they keep them.

Go see Valley Forge.

Eat breakfast (amd some other meals) at a diner.   I'm sure others here will tell you which ones are really good.  Just stay away from the ones owned by indians or pakis.  They are generally lousy.

Go see a Phillies game.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top