Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/1/2017 7:17:51 AM EDT
Just a PSA reminder that resident doe license applications are being accepted beginning on Monday 7-10 this year.

Seems like it becomes earlier every year 

Update: 1st round applications for unsold doe licenses are being accepted beginning on Monday 8-7. Below is a link to availability with regard to respective management areas.

https://www.pa.wildlifelicense.com/deeravail.php
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 7:56:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Just a PSA reminder that resident doe license applications are being accepted beginning on Monday 7-10 this year.

Seems like it becomes earlier every year 
View Quote

Agreed! It's getting annoying...LOL
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 9:36:01 PM EDT
[#2]
I had my non-resident antlerless permit sitting on the desk at Jefferson County the first possible day for non-residents and still got denied. After the bullshit they pulled with semi-autos for deer hunting I'm done hunting in PA.

The Game Comission is pathetic. I'll keep my ~$125-150.
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 8:35:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I had my non-resident antlerless permit sitting on the desk at Jefferson County the first possible day for non-residents and still got denied. After the bullshit they pulled with semi-autos for deer hunting I'm done hunting in PA.

The Game Comission is pathetic. I'll keep my ~$125-150.
View Quote
Fair enough said.

Sounds like the management zone you applied to is one of the more sought after areas and it sold out in the resident 1st round.
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 10:55:54 AM EDT
[#4]
I hunt in Washington county... 
You can wait till the last week and go to the treasurers office and get one.
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 1:28:04 PM EDT
[#5]
I hunt 2 WMU's.
My primary sells out every year in the first day or two of the 1st "Unsold" round. (Recently... prior to about 4 years ago it rarely made it to an unsold round.)
Most years I can manage to get 2 tags there.
The second usually sells out after a week of the 2nd "unsold" round... and has one of the largest number of tags allocated.
The suspicion is that a lot of activists and "Protect them doe" fudds buy up the tags in that unit and burn them.  I see guys bragging about doing just that every year.
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 2:17:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Mine's in the mailbox now.

Last year I only got one Doe tag, (2E) second round I saw my check get returned. First time that has happened since I moved back home in 2005 and have been sending in applications.
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 5:05:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Mine's in the mailbox now.

Last year I only got one Doe tag, (2E) second round I saw my check get returned. First time that has happened since I moved back home in 2005 and have been sending in applications.
View Quote
2C app in the mail this morning. I apply 2D in the second round and have been able to obtain both in the previous 2 seasons. I only really use the 2D if I have to go in gun. I try to get a buck and a doe every year in archery to avoid having to do so. 
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 12:40:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
2C app in the mail this morning. I apply 2D in the second round and have been able to obtain both in the previous 2 seasons. I only really use the 2D if I have to go in gun. I try to get a buck and a doe every year in archery to avoid having to do so. 
View Quote
2C is my second choice, property I hunt on sort of straddles 2E & 2C. Place is loaded with doe. I think there was one year when i got 3 doe tags for 2E. Then last year they sold out fast and I ended up with only one tag and I listed 2C as my second choice during round #2.  I don't think I've ever seen that one sell out before.

One thing I did not do was compare numbers of tags available per WMU for 2015 and 2016 deer seasons, so I'm not sure if they may have nerfed number of tags available last year compared to year before. Bunch of us were scratching our heads because we're not used to not getting tags during the second round. That was a first. Reduced numbers or lots more people hunting last year... or both......
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 12:26:12 AM EDT
[#9]
First time out this year, will be trying in 5B.  It's very strange how gun season for deer is such a joke in this state.  I guess I'll get a new bow and work on that to try to get a decent season out of it, plus do some small game and various fowl.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 12:39:01 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
First time out this year, will be trying in 5B.  It's very strange how gun season for deer is such a joke in this state.  I guess I'll get a new bow and work on that to try to get a decent season out of it, plus do some small game and various fowl.
View Quote
In what way is it a joke?
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 9:26:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
In what way is it a joke?
View Quote
Ridiculously short.  5-9 days instead of 2 months like it should be.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 11:01:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
Get a crossbow.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 11:33:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Get a crossbow.
View Quote
Because I spend 6-7 months of the year shooting PRS, DMR, and 3 gun matches using a crossbow....?
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 11:36:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Because I spend 6-7 months of the year shooting PRS, DMR, and 3 gun matches using a crossbow....?
View Quote
Well then you have a lot of hunting opportunity.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 9:40:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote
You shoot 3 gun using a bolt, pump, or lever action?
(Ok, semi-auto shotgun is ok in a few counties, very few)
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 5:56:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote
I wish it was longer than the roughly two weeks (Gun) that we get. Not counting special stuff and black powder.

I did not get back into deer hunting until I was stationed in South Dakota (1990 to 1994) . I had last hunted in PA in the late 70's as a kid and then spent most of my time overseas or in areas not conducive for me to hunt (USAF).

Black Hills buck season was 30 days long. Doe was mixed in there, and similar to here, with lottery style WMU Tag stuff, and, coinciding with the beginning of Black Hills Buck Season was Prairie Season for the first two weeks for Deer and Antelope.

I was in deer heaven. It was nuts. Of course the weather could get crazy beyond anything we see here. Then after I left in 1994 CWD hit and wrecked everything. I have a few friends whom retired out there and hunting is not the same any more, and tags few and far between.
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 8:07:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Everyone get their preferred doe tags?

I applied in 4C this first round and it's showing online that I got it. Thankful I did this first because there are a little over 2500 left. Going for 3C next round and then 5C and 5D by home.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 12:30:33 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Everyone get their preferred doe tags?

I applied in 4C this first round and it's showing online that I got it. Thankful I did this first because there are a little over 2500 left. Going for 3C next round and then 5C and 5D by home.
View Quote
Got 4c in the mail last week. 5b next if any left.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 4:43:39 AM EDT
[#19]
My 2C license hasn't come back in the mail yet, but Westmoreland Co always delays sending them back out a few weeks despite having already processed them -- they do some sort of macro mail out after the fact for some logistical convenience. My app was at the courthouse first day of availability; no worries.

I'll be applying 2D in the second round coming up.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 7:22:38 AM EDT
[#20]
I hunt 2A normally. Im not sure Ill even pick up my hunting license this year until rifle season. Archery has been such a bust the past few years and I can only hunt on SGL
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 8:23:58 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I hunt 2A normally. Im not sure Ill even pick up my hunting license this year until rifle season. Archery has been such a bust the past few years and I can only hunt on SGL
View Quote
If you ask around I bet you could find some private land to hunt. I have random people ask me if they can hunt on my property. As long as they ask and they seem respectable I tell them go for it.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 10:21:18 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

If you ask around I bet you could find some private land to hunt. I have random people ask me if they can hunt on my property. As long as they ask and they seem respectable I tell them go for it.
View Quote
I need to do this but I always feel like it will be an awkward encounter with someone who is most likely a democrat animal lover.

Land in 5C and 5D is hard to come by
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 10:52:32 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I need to do this but I always feel like it will be an awkward encounter with someone who is most likely a democrat animal lover.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If they are a farmer, they will  love you 
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 8:17:36 AM EDT
[#24]
update in OP
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 7:49:58 PM EDT
[#25]
I hunt 2B.  they never sell em all.

I have a pump action AR15 conversion....  I bet  someone calls the game commission on me.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 8:56:28 AM EDT
[#26]
What's your preferred timing strategy on when to drop your apps in the mail?
Seeing the remaining licenses in my first unsold round preference, I want to time it so my envelope is as close to the top of the stack as possible...
Drop it in the mail now? This afternoon? Tomorrow morning?
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 9:01:03 AM EDT
[#27]
Mine's in the mailbox this morning as we speak. County treasurers don't work on Saturday even if it does make it there tomorrow. They have it for processing first thing Monday.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 9:11:15 AM EDT
[#28]
Thanks, that was my initial thought... off to the post office I go...
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 11:35:54 AM EDT
[#29]
Got my first round tag in the mail on Thursday.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 11:41:44 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Got my first round tag in the mail on Thursday.
View Quote
My 1st round tag came 7/14...
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 11:25:35 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote
Agreed. Between having a full time job, and no hunting on Sundays, that means I get.....2 days to hunt each rifle season.  Before you say it, I get home well after dark on most days, during the week.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 6:07:09 PM EDT
[#32]
Go to my 3C tag where I hunt rifle awarded already. Mailed in on Saturday.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 9:43:06 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Go to my 3C tag where I hunt rifle awarded already. Mailed in on Saturday.
View Quote
Same here... Wondering/hoping there might be some left come the 2nd unsold round... then I'll over-the-counter a 5c tag...
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 5:53:02 PM EDT
[#34]
Hmmm... Looking like despite adding 6K tags to my preferred WMU, there won't be enough left to get to a 2nd unsold round.  
Guess a 5c app will be in the mail next friday..
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 6:43:37 PM EDT
[#35]
Got my 2C tag back today.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 9:59:51 AM EDT
[#36]
I saw online I was awarded a 4C tag back in mid July but still haven't received anything in the mail. I can't recall it taking over a month to get.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 9:41:32 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I saw online I was awarded a 4C tag back in mid July but still haven't received anything in the mail. I can't recall it taking over a month to get.
View Quote
It's odd, but county treasurers have until the second week of September to mail back tags from the first round. All I can say is that it'll come 
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 9:40:45 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote
Which county did you mail to?  I use Berks and mailed Saturday, had it back Thursday
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 5:39:20 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Which county did you mail to?  I use Berks and mailed Saturday, had it back Thursday
View Quote
Berks as well. Might be time for a phone call.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 11:17:43 PM EDT
[#40]
my 2nd round tag issued last tuesday still hasn't arrived...
Somewhat unusual as I have normally received them 3 business days after they were issued..
I'm not worried, yet...
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 12:45:22 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Berks as well. Might be time for a phone call.
View Quote
Yea I would
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 8:04:09 PM EDT
[#42]
First time in a long time I've scored my first preference in all 3 rounds of sales....
Now I'm hoping the 5c sales slow down... wouldn't mind picking up one over-the-counter Monday if any are left...
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 10:47:55 AM EDT
[#43]
Come to 2b.  48,000 left.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 11:26:35 AM EDT
[#44]
Wow!
Why so many left? Is it an access issue like lots of deer but not enough places to hunt? Or do Steelers fans not hunt?
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 2:03:02 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Wow!
Why so many left? Is it an access issue like lots of deer but not enough places to hunt? Or do Steelers fans not hunt?
View Quote
Most of the management area consists of pockets of woods and smaller farms scattered among more developed areas so, yes, it's somewhat an access issue. More license allocations in 2B are also attributed to as an attempt to cull the herd in more developed areas.

There's a long running conspiracy theory that maintains the insurance companies have a pact with the game commission over payouts to people that smash into them with their cars 
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 6:24:57 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Wow!
View Quote
if you look at the link in the first post, you will see that 2b is all of Allegheny county, except for a little to the west... well 99% of that is non-huntable.

2b also includes the counties to the north, south and east of Allegheny, but only about 20 miles into each one.... well probably 50% of that is non-huntable.

So yeah, the other 50% is farms in the 200 acre or less size and woods that are in between housing plans.   I was hunting on a 180 acre prime wooded property.  There were 5 of us and we had 7 stands. All posted land. it was really awesome. The owner sold it 2 years ago for development  and had to take all our really nice stands down.

we found a different spot on non-posted private property that others use, but we have permission to erect our stands.  We put them up last season and spent alot of time doing that. Its right behind an industrial area. This summer the owner of the industrial park says hes expanding it into the woods. Well shit.

Looks like im back to hunting behind my house... thats great and all but I cant invite my buds... because my neighbor owns 100 acres behind me, but doesnt want any "strangers" on his property.

shit like this is why theres gonna be about 20000 unsold licenses this year.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 9:22:04 PM EDT
[#47]
That explains it. Thanks.
Basically 2B is the western 5D.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top