Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/21/2017 1:59:30 PM EDT
What are the laws in PA?

I know my NY concealed permit isn't valid but can I carry in my car without a PA permit?

And I plan on driving through PA later this week...if I can, should I stop at the Centre County Sheriff's? How long does it take and what do I need? My carry permit? Hunter's Safety course card?

I used to have a PA permit but I know things have changed for the worse.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 6:01:40 PM EDT
[#1]
§ 6106.  Firearms not to be carried without a license.
       (a)  Offense defined.--
           (1)  Except as provided in paragraph (2), any person who
       carries a firearm in any vehicle or any person who carries a
       firearm concealed on or about his person, except in his place
       of abode or fixed place of business, without a valid and
       lawfully issued license under this chapter commits a felony
       of the third degree.
           (2)  A person who is otherwise eligible to possess a
       valid license under this chapter but carries a firearm in any
       vehicle or any person who carries a firearm concealed on or
       about his person, except in his place of abode or fixed place
       of business, without a valid and lawfully issued license and
       has not committed any other criminal violation commits a
       misdemeanor of the first degree.
       (b)  Exceptions.--The provisions of subsection (a) shall not
    apply to:
           (11)  Any person while carrying a firearm in any vehicle,
       which person possesses a valid and lawfully issued license
       for that firearm which has been issued under the laws of the
       United States or any other state.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 7:17:57 PM EDT
[#2]
So I guess open carry in the car is ok? And oc in general?

I plan on stopping somewhere in PA to get my non res cc permit too. Any advice on where to stop along 76?
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 4:48:56 PM EDT
[#3]
You cannot have a gun on your person in a vehicle. Must to be unloaded and in trunk without a CCW.  

OC is legal but not in a vehicle 

not sure about non res permit. Res permit takes 5 min with no requirements. Atleast in allegheny county. I can imagine it would be any more difficult anywhere else with the exception of philly maybe. 
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 5:47:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I plan on stopping somewhere in PA to get my non res cc permit too. Any advice on where to stop along 76?
View Quote
you can bring your gun, just not on your person while you are driving or in the car. You cab OC your gun while outside of your car and not in a prohibited place.
while driving, pull mag out, unload and case it. put that in your trunk.  if you feel its unsafe to pump gas, get the gun out and OC it.. then put it back and go about your business.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 7:49:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
You cannot have a gun on your person in a vehicle. Must to be unloaded and in trunk without a CCW.  

OC is legal but not in a vehicle 

not sure about non res permit. Res permit takes 5 min with no requirements. Atleast in allegheny county. I can imagine it would be any more difficult anywhere else with the exception of philly maybe. 
View Quote
He said he has NY CCW, which according to the law I posted makes it legal to carry the loaded firearm on his person while inside the vehicle. Since there is no reciprocity between NY and PA, he would have to open carry once he steps outside the vehicle.

There is no such thing as "open or concealed carry" inside a vehicle. The law states a license is needed to carry concealed or or about you person (while outside a vehicle) or inside a vehicle (doesn't matter if it's concealed or not).
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 7:54:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
you can bring your gun, just not on your person while you are driving or in the car. You cab OC your gun while outside of your car and not in a prohibited place.
while driving, pull mag out, unload and case it. put that in your trunk.  if you feel its unsafe to pump gas, get the gun out and OC it.. then put it back and go about your business.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wrong. If a person does not have a license to carry a firearm, the places they can transport the unloaded firearm are very limited and laid out in the statutes. In other words, lacking a license to carry, you can not transport a firearm to places you want to open carry.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 11:52:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Wrong. If a person does not have a license to carry a firearm, the places they can transport the unloaded firearm are very limited and laid out in the statutes. In other words, lacking a license to carry, you can not transport a firearm to places you want to open carry.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

But he has one. So what's your point 
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 11:17:33 AM EDT
[#8]
A person can legally carry a loaded handgun in PA in their vehicle while in possession of a License to carry from any state in the US.  Just can't take it out of his car and carry it concealed.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 9:14:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My point was, you told him he could bring his gun, just not on his person while driving a vehicle. Which, since he does have a permit, is wrong information. Because he does have a NY permit, PA law allows him to have a loaded firearm in his vehicle. There is no need to unload it, case it and stick in in the trunk.

But once he gets out of the vehicle, it is correct that the only thing he can do is open carry, or leave the firearm in the vehicle
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 10:05:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
My point was, you told him he could bring his gun, just not on his person while driving a vehicle. Which, since he does have a permit, is wrong information. Because he does have a NY permit, PA law allows him to have a loaded firearm in his vehicle. There is no need to unload it, case it and stick in in the trunk.

But once he gets out of the vehicle, it is correct that the only thing he can do is open carry, or leave the firearm in the vehicle
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ohh that's great news.  Now I can be right more often.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 9:28:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Not sure how up-to-date this site is anymore but this should give you an idea which counties issue non-resident permits. Call ahead to make sure.

For what it's worth, Erie County was easy good to deal with.

PA Non-Resident Permits by County
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top